PDA

View Full Version : Input signal out of range

Flipstik
15th August 2008, 06:21 AM
Hi. I just recently installed fedora on my vista pc. When i run fedora: grub loads, then the kernal loads and after that finishes, all i can see on my screen is a message that says "Input signal out of range, change settings to 1680 x 1050 60hz." I am assuming it is a problem with my screen, but how do i change it?

It says my settings are at 700 x 400 70 hz.

I've tried changing the settings with the menu on my screen, but the menu wont show.
Any help is appreciated. Thank yoU!

knesenko
15th August 2008, 06:32 AM
please try to do this
Code

su -
vi + /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Change the configuration of your display.Then type
Code

startx
this will start your xserver , and try to login.
This must work.

Flipstik
15th August 2008, 06:34 AM
please try to do this
Code

Change the configuration of your display.Then type
Code

this will start your xserver , and try to login.
This must work.

The problem is, all i get is a black screen with the message on it. I have no command line to type that into.

Flipstik
15th August 2008, 07:02 AM
Ok, i did ctrl + alt + f1 and got a command line. I did what you said but how do i change the configuration of my display?

Sorry, im a total noob and i don't know how to use vi.

Flipstik
15th August 2008, 08:13 AM
Someone please help, I've tried so many things that i've read on the internet but nothing is working. The only thing that i haven't been able to do is using vi to edit the configuration of my display.

I have no idea how to use vi. Can someone please help me or show me another way to configure my display settings.

glennzo
15th August 2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Flipstik. You can try running setup from the command line. You'll get a screen that looks like the one on the screen shot. As you can see there is an x-configuration option. You can also manually edit the file /etc/X11/xorg/conf using the vi editor. Before you do that you'll need to know you monitor's resolutions and modes, what video card you have, etc. To edit the file in vi you would type vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf. When the editor opens hit the INS key. Make your changes and then to save hit the : key, wq! and enter. That's the colon key, the letters wq, the exclamation key and enter. :wq!.

Flipstik
15th August 2008, 05:09 PM
Hi Flipstik. You can try running setup from the command line. You'll get a screen that looks like the one on the screen shot. As you can see there is an x-configuration option. You can also manually edit the file /etc/X11/xorg/conf using the vi editor. Before you do that you'll need to know you monitor's resolutions and modes, what video card you have, etc. To edit the file in vi you would type vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf. When the editor opens hit the INS key. Make your changes and then to save hit the : key, wq! and enter. That's the colon key, the letters wq, the exclamation key and enter. :wq!.

Ok, Thank you. I'll try that.

Flipstik
15th August 2008, 06:10 PM
I tried editing my xorg.conf file in vi, but there is nowhere to put what resolution i want. i also ran setup form the command line, got the x-configuration option and changed my resolution to 1680x1050, but when i rebooted it went back to 800x600.

This is becoming such a pain...Someone please help.

glennzo
15th August 2008, 06:20 PM
Try a lower resolution first, one that you know your monitor will support even if it will go as high as you would like it to. You will probably need to install the proper driver for your video card. Can you post the output of the command cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf please?

Chilly Willy
15th August 2008, 06:25 PM
Are you sure that your video hardware can function at those setting? (some won't go that high)
Sounds to me like an oddball configuration & may not be supported.
Try a known standard & work from there.

Also, please be aware that running your system out of sync for to long may damage the video hardware.

Flipstik
15th August 2008, 06:39 PM
Well, when i get the input signal out of range, it says "change settings to 1680x1050 60hz."

I'll go try cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf and ill be back in a bit. Thanks for all the help. :]

Ok, im back. I ran cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf and this is what i got:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocar0"
Driver "nv"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 16
Subsection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "800x600"
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubsection
EndSection

I tried changing 'Modes' to "1680x1050" but it still gave me the same message whenever i start it up.

glennzo
15th August 2008, 08:38 PM
You need to install the nvidia drivers and edit xorg.conf again.

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocar0"
Driver "nv" <--- Will probably already be changed to nvidia.
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 16
Subsection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "800x600" <--- Then you can start jacking this up.
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubsection
EndSection
The first note in red text, that line will probably be changed to driver "nvidia" if you install the nvidia drivers. You could try changing to "nvidia" without installing the drivers. I'm not sure if that will work, but if you back the file up before you make the change it won't be as much of a disaster if things go wrong.

The second note in red text. After you get the driver working you can start playing with this one.

When you change things in xorg.conf you need to at least log ou and back in for the changes to take effect. May be better to just reboot though.

Flipstik
16th August 2008, 04:29 AM
Sorry for being such a noob, but how do i install the nvidia driver if i cant get to a web browser in fedora?

My graphics card is an nvidia 6150SE nForce 430

glennzo
16th August 2008, 08:09 AM
Sorry for being such a noob, but how do i install the nvidia driver if i cant get to a web browser in fedora?

My graphics card is an nvidia 6150SE nForce 430
We were all newbs at one time so no need to apologize. If you can log to the command line there's a tool called wget. It will get files for you. Of course you would need the complete URL of the file you're after, for example, wget http://picasa.google.com/picasa.1.2-rpm will get the file picasa.1.2-rpm from the web and plant in in your default download folder. Also, if the driver you need is in the repositories then you can use yum, example, yum install driver-i-need. The driver will be installed from the command line.

I can't tell you what files you need to download for your video card, at least not without a little research on my part. I suggest having a search through this forum for references to NVidia and see what you come up with for results. Graphics drivers are a popular subject here and on other forums.

You should be able to get a decent screen resolution without the drivers just by using the "vesa" driver and setting your resolution to "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024" . You can also add horizontal and vertical frequencies to xorg.conf. That may actually help immensely.

What brand and model monitor are you using?

glennzo
16th August 2008, 08:33 AM
OK, flipstick. I've been doing a little poking around the forum since I don't remember the NVidia stuff. Looks like you could need to install the Livna repository first. Here's the commands:

sudo rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*
sudo rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-9.rpm
sudo rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-livna
Those commands were lifted from Mauriat Mirandas web site / Fedora Bible http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html.
The specific page for setting up yum/livna is here at http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html#yum.
How to install NVidia drive is here, http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html#nvidia
So after you install the Livna repo use the command

sudo yum install kmod-nvidia
Once that's done reboot and see what you get. Don't worry if the results are less than anticipated. Some times it takes a bit of work to get things right. You may also want to take the time to see if your specific video card is supported by the NVidia driver. Find out exactly what display resolutions your monitor supports and at what frequencies.

Flipstik
16th August 2008, 04:23 PM
Ok. Thank you so much for helping me. I'll go try that out now.