PDA

View Full Version : Please Welcome Our Newest CM's!

bob
15th August 2008, 02:05 AM
I'm sure most of you realize that spam is on the increase and it's very true here in the Forum, plus we've been adding a bunch of new members with every release and Fedora 10's coming soon!

So, many of our CM's have decided that the time had come to retire and they now hold that honored position. With the vacancies, we're pleased to announce that these members have accepted the task of filling their shoes as our newest CM's:

Dangermouse
Demz
Glennzo
Hlingler
Scottro

Please wish them well and give them the fine support you've always given the rest of us.

Evil_Bert
15th August 2008, 02:23 AM
Welcome.

But did they all pass the beer test? :)

PS: Who's retired (so I know when to type r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y ....) :p

sideways
15th August 2008, 02:25 AM
All fine except for scottro who can't even spot a rickroll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll) when it's blatantly obvious ;) ( Admittedly, he makes up for social ineptness in technical ability :) )

scottro
15th August 2008, 02:26 AM
I was proud of that in a perverse way. Years and years on the Internet, and I just walked (errm rolled) right into it.

bob
15th August 2008, 02:30 AM
Bert... in no particular order, Bana, SMFinley, Mike, Ug, Crackers, Foolish, Ghaefb, Dog-One, Ghenry & Tashiro. In reality, when the Forum first started, these guys did a ton of work getting it running but lives, priorities and careers change. Again, we are grateful for the Forum they helped create.

Demz
15th August 2008, 02:34 AM
Welcome.

But did they all pass the beer test? :)

PS: Who's retired (so I know when to type r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y ....) :p
no idea who retired,

sideways
15th August 2008, 02:37 AM
To tell you the truth scottro, I got rickrolled myself from following links related to the "Torvalds" April 1st post on bugzilla (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=439858).

But I like that Rick Astley song, so It didn't bother me at all! (I guess it's more of an issue if you do it in a quiet workplace environment :) )

scottro
15th August 2008, 02:44 AM
Naw, I was at home. I laughed so hard my wife wondered what was amusing about it. It's only because of my trusting nature--I mean c'mon who would suspect it of someone with a panda avatar.

On the other hand, when I mentioned it on a BSD forum, some more cynical types, true gurus, all mentioned that they too had been rickrolled.

Wayne
15th August 2008, 02:45 AM
Nobody likes Rick Astley.... At least they won't admit they do in public for fear of ridicule :)

Wayne

sideways
15th August 2008, 02:50 AM
NEW CMs, do your job, Wayne just dissed Rick Astley :)

Wayne
15th August 2008, 02:53 AM
NEW CMs, do your job, Wayne just dissed Rick Astley :)

Does that warrant a permanent ban?

Wayne

Gnafu the Great
15th August 2008, 02:54 AM
Hey, I like Rick Astley :p. Welcome to your new positions, boys. Or, should I say, "men?" Yes, you've earned it :p.

sideways
15th August 2008, 02:55 AM
Panda avatar is for my 2 year old daughter btw, who insists on sitting on my lap while I post many replies on this forum.

glennzo
15th August 2008, 03:01 AM
Who the h*ll is Rick Astley? And what's all this Rick roll stuff I see on the internet? "someone got rick rolled". What's that all about?

Wayne
15th August 2008, 03:04 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll

Rick is/was a "singer" A lot of people (including his mother) were surprised he made it, according to her, he couldn't hold a note! ain't technology wonderful :)

Wayne

Demz
15th August 2008, 03:07 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll

Rick is/was a "singer" A lot of people (including his mother) were surprised he made it, according to her, he couldn't hold a note! ain't technology wonderful :)

Wayne
he could dance better than he could sing :D

Wayne
15th August 2008, 03:10 AM
I should add that there was a lot of speculation at the time that his voice was "digitally enhanced" hence the comment about technology. Also, the story about his mother was rumour, but there's no smoke without a burning bush...

Wayne

sideways
15th August 2008, 03:13 AM
Rick Astley was a fine performer, people hate him because of his Ginger hair, the world is savage and unfair.

edit er, welcome new cms!

bob
15th August 2008, 03:16 AM
Sideways, I always liked John Denver. Needless to say, we shouldn't really talk about music at parties... :D

Wayne
15th August 2008, 03:20 AM
Sideways, I always liked John Denver. Needless to say, we shouldn't really talk about music at parties... :D

Nor fine performers :D :p

/me ducks for cover...

Wayne

sideways
15th August 2008, 03:21 AM

My sister and me used to play Annie's Song together on Guitar & Flute, we played it to our friends once and they actually didn't laugh, they were quite complementary in fact. This was England Post-Punk/New Wave (My favourite band was The Jam)

bob
15th August 2008, 03:31 AM
(Ignoring the ducking CM's in the background...) Actually, Annie's Song was one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever heard. Whether you liked John or not, if you listen to the words and the soaring melody in that tune, it speaks of a pure love; of a wife and of nature. To me, those are both very strong sentiments.

scottro
15th August 2008, 03:32 AM
John Denver had some nice songs. Annie's song was written, I believe, for a movie and was being sung to someone who was dying. His death, as is any death, was sad.

As for Rick, it's not a bad song, he's extremely good humored about the whole rick rolling thing, and unlike Wayne, who seems to want to hurt him, he wouldn't run around and hurt Wayne. Nor will he pick him up, to let him down.

Waves to Sideways' daughter. Hi there--did you see Kung Fu panda? Who did you like best?

Wayne
15th August 2008, 03:35 AM
Me? I wouldn't hurt a fly... he says as he deftly puts away the fly-spray :)

Right, since most of the gang are here, who's getting in the beers?

Wayne

sideways
15th August 2008, 03:44 AM
Waves to Sideways' daughter. Hi there--did you see Kung Fu panda? Who did you like best?

Nah, bit too young for that, but I'm hoping the recent quality of USA animation will keep going for the next few years, otherwise it's gonna be dvds at home rather than a magical cinema experience.

Hope I'm not derailing the thread, the choice of CM's looks to be very good

GallComp
15th August 2008, 04:07 AM
Right, since most of the gang are here, who's getting in the beers?

How about the one who lives in Japan and has a not-yet-open tabern there.... :D

Wayne
15th August 2008, 04:14 AM
Sigh... Got three empty kegs here :(

Actually, I shouldn't be here today. I'm supposed to be out shopping for said tavern. But, it says 34C on my Panel, with a 'feels like' temp of 40.8C.... Somehow I don't think I'd make it to the corner of the street :)

Wayne

Demz
15th August 2008, 04:25 AM
Sigh... Got three empty kegs here :(

Actually, I shouldn't be here today. I'm supposed to be out shopping for said tavern. But, it says 34C on my Panel, with a 'feels like' temp of 40.8C.... Somehow I don't think I'd make it to the corner of the street :)

Wayne
no beer in the fridge? ..im always well stocked up in the fridge ,,wish i had the room for a Kegerator

Wayne
15th August 2008, 04:45 AM
no beer in the fridge? ..im always well stocked up in the fridge ,,wish i had the room for a Kegerator

No, the fridge is empty, apart from a few cans belonging to 'er indoors. She knows I won't drink them because they're "Baby size" (350ml cans) I usually only drink 500ml cans and never buy more than I intend to drink in an evening... otherwise I won't know when to stop :)

Wayne

Evil_Bert
15th August 2008, 04:51 AM
...and never buy more than I intend to drink in an evening... otherwise I won't know when to stop :)
Me too. Maybe it's the Engish genes? Scottish genes, on the other hand, persuade me to take very small sips. :)

Demz
15th August 2008, 04:53 AM
No, the fridge is empty, apart from a few cans belonging to 'er indoors. She knows I won't drink them because they're "Baby size" (350ml cans) I usually only drink 500ml cans and never buy more than I intend to drink in an evening... otherwise I won't know when to stop :)

Wayne
500ml's. wow that's Big, i'd struggle to down 1 of those i think i don't drink Can beer,, tastes eewww, i don't like the Aluminum taste you get from Cans, Biggest beer Bottles you get here in australia is the Long Necks which are 750ml an there isnt many breweries that put there beer in those

Wayne
15th August 2008, 04:54 AM
My genes are from Marks and Spencer.... err.... Jeans :)

A 10 year (or older) single Highland malt's for sipping, but brewskies are for for opening the gills and just letting it flow :)

Wayne

Wayne
15th August 2008, 04:58 AM
Hate to tell you this but aluminium cans are lined with some kind of plastic material so you don't taste it. Bet in a blind tasting you can't tell the difference between bottle or canned beer :) Draught is something else :)

Biggest bottle here is 633ml. Don't ask me why the odd size!

Wayne

Demz
15th August 2008, 05:02 AM
My genes are from Marks and Spencer.... err.... Jeans :)

A 10 year (or older) single Highland malt's for sipping, but brewskies are for for opening the gills and just letting it flow :)

Wayne
speaking of beer, i think i might have 1 , i think my next beer im gonna try is that Coopers Vintage Ale .. i think im the only 1 in my family thats a big beer drinker,

Evil_Bert
15th August 2008, 05:04 AM
Hate to tell you this but aluminium cans are lined with some kind of plastic material so you don't taste it.
True, but it's a common misconception, particularly after there were some articles published in the 90's down here about risks of aluminium poisoning .... all a media beat-up, of course, and completely made up like many others arguments.

Aluminium cookware, though, could be risky. :rolleyes:

Evil_Bert
15th August 2008, 05:07 AM
...i think i might have 1 ,...
Just one? We know you better! :)

Demz
15th August 2008, 05:13 AM
Just one? We know you better! :)
true but iv'e cut down my drinking, i used to have atleast 4 beers at the Pub, i only now drink 3 , yesterday i could only have 3 cause the damm Eftpos machine stuffed up on me just as i was about to withdraw $20 so i could only have 3 beers :( but it was to far to walk to get more money elsewhere so i came home an got stuck into a few more before dinner :)

Wayne
15th August 2008, 05:15 AM
There were a lot of scares about getting Alzheimer's from aluminium cookware. A lot of stuff here is anodised aluminium, especially pro stuff. I have one pot that I use for boiling pasta, etc, but use stainless for stews/sauces (Fissler)

Wayne

Demz
15th August 2008, 05:19 AM
There were a lot of scares about getting Alzheimer's from aluminium cookware. A lot of stuff here is anodised aluminium, especially pro stuff. I have one pot that I use for boiling pasta, etc, but use stainless for stews/sauces (Fissler)

Wayne
i watched a cooking show, i cant remember the name of it, Might have been Huey's Cooking show on Channel 10 at 3:30pm i think he said Stainless cookware was the way to go

w5set
15th August 2008, 05:46 AM
Well, howdy to the new CM's...../me doffs hat to them :)

And I bow plumb down to the knees to the departing CM's
Thanks for the years of dedicated service to the forum.
It wouldn't have been the same without you.
And don't be strangers.

And to the incoming CM's.....get with it!
What do ya this this is? a Kegger party or what? :D

Demz
15th August 2008, 05:50 AM
its a party.. i celebrated at the pub yesterday