PDA

View Full Version : Rollback software updates?

rugbert
15th August 2008, 01:42 AM
It seems every so often, like last night, when there are certain software updates (ndiswrapper and something else) my wireless is completely lost (even tho ndiswrapper shows the driver is present) and i loose my high resolution.

Can someone help me run through the steps towards rolling back or at least seeing what was changed?

hellork
15th August 2008, 01:46 AM
tail -n 50 /var/log/yum.log

rugbert
15th August 2008, 02:08 AM
well looks like there was a kernel update so nvidia and ndiswrapper were both erased. i could reinstall them but they wont work with the new kernel headers. how would I go about removing this past kernel and installing the last one?

also - should i post my yum log?

hellork
15th August 2008, 08:56 AM
You can find them in http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/ since not all the mirrors are up to date (usually).

The easier way to get them is by putting keepcache=1 in /etc/yum.conf

Then the old packages can be found on your system:

find /var/cache/yum -regex .*rpm$

Wayne
15th August 2008, 10:06 AM
The previous kernel should still be there. Fedora keeps the last kernel as a backup in case the new one is "dodgy" I usually keep the last two kernels...

Anyway, at Grub, hit a key and boot with the older kernel from the list.

Wayne

Evil_Bert
15th August 2008, 10:58 AM
The previous kernel should still be there.
Providing yum.conf contains installonly_limit=2 (or more), and installonlypkgs hasn't been altered from its default (i.e not specified in yum.conf, therefore default settings taken).

As for old packages, the keepcache=1 (boolean) setting only stores the currently installed package in its original rpm form.

Wayne
15th August 2008, 11:13 AM
My yum.conf is set to 3, the default is 2 so the OP will still have one previous kernel...

Wayne

Evil_Bert
15th August 2008, 11:21 AM
I think it was in my FC6 install that, for some unknown reason, installonly_limit=1 was set. I didn't check, of course, trusting soul that I am, so when I had a kernel panic after an update, I was up the creek without a paddle.

ryptyde
15th August 2008, 12:37 PM
If you have the "akmods" installed for your wireless and video card the modules should get rebuilt the next time you reboot and then may take another reboot for them to work.

That is what appears to have been what happened when the nvidia video card that is installed here reverted to 2D after a kernel update and the kmod wasn't available from Livna yet.
I then installed the "akmod and development" packages and now when there is a kernel update the packages get built during boot/start up.

That's my perception of the process from reading info on this forum, installing the necessary akmods and watching the boot screen during start up. :)

rugbert
15th August 2008, 09:37 PM
Can I manually recompile the nvidia and ndiswrapper for the new kernel? how would I do that (im sure im going to have to do that often :/

ryptyde
15th August 2008, 11:26 PM
Can I manually recompile the nvidia and ndiswrapper for the new kernel? how would I do that (im sure im going to have to do that often :/

If you have the akmods packages installed it will automattically build for you. :)

Kid744
15th August 2008, 11:31 PM
akmods is something new in F9? I am still using F8 and am waiting for the livna packages for the new kernel. (kmod-nvidia) If akamods works in F8, I may give it a try.

Kid

Kid744
15th August 2008, 11:46 PM
Looks like the akmods are new for F9. Interesting idea. I would love some feedback on how it is working for you F9 folks, especially with regards to the Nvidia packages.

Kid

JohnVV
16th August 2008, 01:29 AM
I , like you am waiting for livna. for a few years i built the nvidia.run package from nvidia . The draw back is that for ALL kernel and xorg updates you will need to rebuild the driver ( takes about 2 min.). Also you will find that for some programs to work, with the *.run driver installed , you will need to also build mesa GL .
for example: Celestia will not run without mesaGL ( nvidia.run + mesa)

rugbert
16th August 2008, 02:18 AM
Im still on FC8 too, how do I recompile those packages? About a day after I lost my wireless my ethernet interface stopped working too :/

Thankfully gubbing worked and Im back on the old kernel! Im thinking about removing the old one completely tho.

Evil_Bert
16th August 2008, 05:13 AM
Whilst reading this thread yesterday, a little part of my mind was niggling at me, but, distracted by beer (as it was Friday evening), I ignored it. So this morning, I sifted through my collection of bookmarks and found this:

Repackaging and Rollbacks (http://dailypackage.fedorabook.com/index.php?/archives/17-Wednesday-Why-Repackaging-and-Rollbacks.html)

Essentially, if you setup your system to re-package and save your existing package version (which would occur when it is updated), then, at a later stage, you can perform a rollback to that saved version.

The article was written before PackageKit, but the technique is based on yum and rpm, so should still work.

rugbert
16th August 2008, 10:07 PM
sooooooooooo how would I recompile those packages? if I could do this I wouldnt have to worry about this problem in the future!

Evil_Bert
17th August 2008, 08:46 AM
sooooooooooo how would I recompile those packages? if I could do this I wouldnt have to worry about this problem in the future!
No compiling.

The article explains the procedure.