PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a file system

viklahan
13th August 2008, 11:33 PM
hey all! I am a newbie using Fedora 8.

I wanna mount a binary file, so that I can access that file later on through SSHFS. I used the following command:

mount -t ext3 123.bin /mnt/abc/

It gave me the following error

mount: /root/Desktop/123.bin is not a block device (maybe try `-o loop'?)

Then I used:
mount -o loop ext3 123.bin /mnt/abc/

and its throwing the whole help menu for mount.

I just need to mount this file, so that I can access it remotely. I dont know if the file system is wrong. I guess not, if it was then it wud hv told me bad file system or some other error.

Any help?

viklahan
13th August 2008, 11:51 PM
Got it! There was no file system on it so had to make a file system using
mkfs -t ext3 123.bin
& then use the command
mount -o loop 123.bin /mnt/abc/

I hope I can get thru the next part.
Anyways!

PabloTwo
13th August 2008, 11:55 PM
Yeah, help you need alright.

For starters, you don't mount a file, you mount a filesystem. A filesystem can reside on many different types of devices, such as a partition, or partitions, on a hard disk drive, a floppy drive, an optical drive (CD - DVD), a USB thumbdrive, etc.

If the file "123.bin" is in some directory that you will access to on the machine that you will remotely connect to, then you should be able to access it and do with it as you wish. Does this help?

JohnVV
14th August 2008, 12:01 AM
also a .bin file is just a raw file. for example :
a .raw ( photo) is also a *.bin file

openSauce
14th August 2008, 07:27 AM
For starters, you don't mount a file, you mount a filesystem. A filesystem can reside on many different types of devices, such as a partition, or partitions, on a hard disk drive, a floppy drive, an optical drive (CD - DVD), a USB thumbdrive, etc.

A filesystem can also reside on a regular file, which is what the OP's asking about.

Viklahan: the only reason you were getting the usage message for mount with your command in the first post was you forgot the -t flag:
mount -o loop -t ext3 123.bin /mnt/abc/
But yeah, that would have given you another error if you hadn't put a filesystem on 123.bin. Glad you got it working