PDA

View Full Version : Setting desktop environment via command line

fyugie
11th August 2008, 04:18 PM
Ok I've searched the forums and found info on how to switch the DE from say GNOME to KDE through the graphical login screen, my issue is I want to do this through command line in run level 3. I installed FC9 to a virtual machine that isn't taking to much memory from the host and I want to set xserver to run XCFE instead of GNOME on the startx command. Any tips on where I could configure this?

bingoUV
11th August 2008, 04:33 PM
Ok I've searched the forums and found info on how to switch the DE from say GNOME to KDE through the graphical login screen, my issue is I want to do this through command line in run level 3. I installed FC9 to a virtual machine that isn't taking to much memory from the host and I want to set xserver to run XCFE instead of GNOME on the startx command. Any tips on where I could configure this?

Put this in your ~/.xinitrc file:

exec xfce4-session

If there is some existing code in ~/.xinitrc, move it to some other place. I hope you have already installed xfce.

fyugie
11th August 2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks a bunch, that does the trick although it says it cannot locate the session. XFCE isn't in the installed packages list so I guess I didn't install it even though I'm pretty sure I did. Oh well I guess I can suffer through GNOME to do it.

bingoUV
11th August 2008, 06:50 PM
You need not suffer through GNOME for this. Just type

su -
yum groupinstall XFCE

fyugie
11th August 2008, 07:09 PM
No network connection. I'm at work doing this on my laptop so I can't use my work internet for it. I reinstalled from scratch with just XFCE selected as my DE install, and it won't run GUI at all now. It has the graphical login, but as soon as I log in, it flickers and drops back to login screen. I think there's an issue with XFCE so I'll just let it go and try to get fluxbox or something else light.