PDA

View Full Version : keyboard settings not matching hardware

majdi
10th August 2008, 06:09 PM
I got a new Dell Latitude D630 laptop and did a fresh install of Fedora 9. In System>Preferences>Hardware>Keyboard

I set the Keyboard model to; Dell Latitude series laptop
and the layout to; US International (with dead keys).
The problem is that some keys are not matching the output, like the ><~`/ and I cant find my pipe key which I need to use in the CLI. Has anyone had this problem?

I also have my System Update showing;
39 security updates
324 bug fixes
29 enhancements

I really dont want to update without taking a backup but Im wondering if the bug fixes will fix this problem?

sidebrnz
10th August 2008, 09:52 PM
If you have a fresh install, there's probably not much to lose if an update goes bad. I'd not worry too much about it.

Also, I'd like to thank you. I'd recently gotten a video card good enough to use Compiz/Fusion, and was having problems because some of the keys I needed weren't recognized. When I read your post, I had a D'oh! moment. After going into Keyboard settings and telling Fedora what keyboard I have (instead of using a generic) I can now use the Super Key the way I'm supposed to. *Sigh!* As far as your keyboard goes, check with Dell; there might be a better setting, or a special driver you need.

majdi
12th September 2008, 05:29 PM
This keyboard problem is driving me nuts.

I found the pipe key but its not in the right place. Had anyone else had this problem, do I need a driver for this?

majdi
12th September 2008, 05:29 PM
How can I check the driver for my keyboard

sidebrnz
12th September 2008, 05:45 PM
I gave you a suggestion over a month ago. Is there a reason you haven't taken it?

majdi
13th September 2008, 08:42 AM
I spent 23 minutes on the phone with Dell and that's without even discussing the problem. Apparently its very difficult to get support from Dell, if you haven't bought your system directly from them.

Demz
13th September 2008, 08:46 AM
Moved to Laptop

majdi
30th September 2008, 10:34 AM
Is there a way to map the keys I'm having trouble with? Couldn't get an answer from Dell on this, the support offered outside the US is not very good.

Any other latitude users having this problem?