PDA

View Full Version : i can unrar but cant create rar files

arshad3m
10th August 2008, 05:05 PM
hai there.
i have installed unrar.
now i can unrar files. but how to make rar files. (still i can make zip files.but i want to make rar files)

thank your for your suggestions.

ivancat
10th August 2008, 06:34 PM
download and install rar for linux from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
after that (if I am not mistaking) file-roller can create and unpack rar archives, though you also can do that via CL

Dox96
11th August 2008, 12:44 AM
...or even better, don't use RAR to make archives, but use 7zip instead (http://www.7-zip.org). The advantages are obvious:

- It compresses better than RAR
- It's free and open source, and RAR isn't.
- Anyone can extract your 7-zip archive by downloading the open-source code from the above website
- It can also unRAR.
- Oh, and of course, the world will thank you for promoting open source code over software patented code! :D

Dox

arshad3m
11th August 2008, 02:41 AM
...or even better, don't use RAR to make archives, but use 7zip instead (http://www.7-zip.org). The advantages are obvious:

- It compresses better than RAR
- It's free and open source, and RAR isn't.
- Anyone can extract your 7-zip archive by downloading the open-source code from the above website
- It can also unRAR.
- Oh, and of course, the world will thank you for promoting open source code over software patented code! :D

Dox

thank you very much.
but i want a software which has the ability to pack and unpack rar. but 7zip cant pack to rar. :confursed:

arshad3m
11th August 2008, 02:42 AM
download and install rar for linux from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
after that (if I am not mistaking) file-roller can create and unpack rar archives, though you also can do that via CL

are there .rpm packagers for f9?

Dox96
11th August 2008, 04:46 AM
thank you very much.
but i want a software which has the ability to pack and unpack rar. but 7zip cant pack to rar. :confursed:

No need to be confused :) Yes, 7-zip can't pack to RAR, but its own format, 7z, does the same thing (compression), but with all the benefits I gave above! You'll have to pay to pack to RAR, but you'll never have to pay (or force others to pay) using 7-zip! I was just suggesting an alternative. Hope it works for you :cool:

Dox

arshad3m
11th August 2008, 05:00 AM
No need to be confused :) Yes, 7-zip can't pack to RAR, but its own format, 7z, does the same thing (compression), but with all the benefits I gave above! You'll have to pay to pack to RAR, but you'll never have to pay (or force others to pay) using 7-zip! I was just suggesting an alternative. Hope it works for you :cool:

Dox

is it windows readable. and other fedora run machines also have to have 7zip inorder to unpack them?

A.Serbinski
11th August 2008, 05:35 AM
Forget rar, forget 7zip, use whats standard AND free... .tar.gz. Included with ALL unix, linux, etc. Freeware powerarchiver for windows.

arshad3m
11th August 2008, 05:45 AM
hai,
does .tar.gz works in windows. winrar can read this format??

bingoUV
11th August 2008, 05:48 AM
Forget rar, forget 7zip, use whats standard AND free... .tar.gz. Included with ALL unix, linux, etc. Freeware powerarchiver for windows.

Yes, rar is one of the worst archive formats possible.

7zip is available for windows too. The user interface of its windows interface is quite good, better than winzip in my opinion.

To add to A.Serbinski, .tar.gz is great. Winzip can also extract from .tar.gz. So can 7-zip.

Compatibility wise, the zip format seems to be the best. Vista can pack/unpack zip archives. Mac can do the same. Lots of freeware to do the same in windows XP. All linux distributions I have seen can pack/unpack zip without trouble.

ivancat
11th August 2008, 09:14 AM
are there .rpm packagers for f9?

no, there are not due to rar's license

and yeah, it is better to work with tar, it's supported everywhere and just fine :)

arshad3m
11th August 2008, 02:06 PM
.tar files cannot be read in vista.
btw: i havent installed winrar or winzip in vista. :D

Zotter
11th August 2008, 09:52 PM
Better way of saying that would be:

Vista has no native support for tgz or tar. But, with the installation of 7-zip, Vista handles tar, tgz and gz files just fine.

A.Serbinski
11th August 2008, 11:13 PM
*most* windows archiving programs can handle .tar.gz. Its not included in windows itself because ms is the antichrist.

Zorg
12th August 2008, 02:26 AM
*most* windows archiving programs can handle .tar.gz. Its not included in windows itself because ms is the antichrist.Correct! :D

ivancat
12th August 2008, 10:59 AM
*most* windows archiving programs can handle .tar.gz. Its not included in windows itself because ms is the antichrist.

though for some reason it supports zip... is there something between zip and the evil side?

chuchII
4th March 2009, 03:21 AM

easily seconded!

sunnyy9
8th March 2012, 08:11 AM
well, who is the best in encrypting the files inside archives?
for now i m using rar as it enables to encrypt the file names as well.......