PDA

View Full Version : Weird "on screen display" issue

ChEd
10th August 2008, 03:59 PM
Hello everyone I hope that you might be able to help me identify the program responsible for the "Volume" thing in the middle of the screenshot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/chaos_ed/snapshot1.png

It came up when I fired up KDE on my Dell D600 laptop as I wanted to try that after successfully running XFCE4.

I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of it right down to killing random processes which has not done a thing to get rid of it.

What is responsible for that on screen display thing as its on top of everything on screen and its bugging me LOL. This does not happen when I run XFCE4 so it must be some part of KDE and I would like to stop the damn thing from starting up. :mad:

It does not react when I press the vol up or down buttons or the mute button on the laptop itself either.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading :)

Chilly Willy
10th August 2008, 04:20 PM
This may be totally out in left field but I know that when it come to troubleshooting every bit can help so here is my thoughts - I run Gnome & have rhythmbox. When I hover the mouse over an audio file it automatically plays it. Since the picture shows such files, could THAT be what is causing the VOLUME thing to pop up? Especially if it is muted?

Like I said - may be a crazy thought but I thought I'd pass it anyway as it MAY lead you to the REAL culprit.

ChEd
10th August 2008, 04:40 PM
Hmm could be but it appears even when I don't have my USB stick, with MP3's on it, plugged in.

Its Fedora 9 BTW (forgot to post that in my initial post)

I think its something being triggered and it thinks something is constantly trying to turn the volume down :confused: but im not sure LOL but its really annoying :rolleyes: :mad: I cant seem to find a way of getting rid of it and its stopping me from setting the rest of it up as i cant see certain dialogues without having to move them around it which is getting old LOL :mad:

Chilly Willy
10th August 2008, 06:00 PM
The ONLY other thing I can add is that KDE 4.0 anyway has so many issues that I ended up junking it & using Gnome even though I would prefer to use KDE - I'd tell you what I think of 4.0 but I need to keep the forum at a "PG" rating. :D - I had lockups, crashes, bugs & other strange things so you MAY want to consider that if you don't get anywhere any other way.

Here's hoping one of the linux GURU's has the answer. ;)

ChEd
10th August 2008, 06:15 PM
LOL well i got sick of it and switched to Gnome before i even read your post LOL :D

It'd be nice to know what it is so that I can disable it and then maybe have another play with KDE at a later date :cool:

Chilly Willy
10th August 2008, 07:27 PM
FYI: KDE 4.1 IS out just not in the main repos yet. I am waiting for it to get there because possibly like you, I'm tired of messing with major issues.

bbfuller
10th August 2008, 07:38 PM
If you are keen to have KDE 4.1 it's fairly easy to get.

It's a huge improvement over 4.0.5 which we have been using and no downsides that I can see so far. I have it on two machines and my laptop.

Do a complete update first, there are some dependencies in the ordinary updates.

Then from the full root command prompt:

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing groupupdate "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

You'll be downloading some 180MB

hellork
10th August 2008, 08:57 PM
I started out on KDE but have since gone to Gnome and then Xfce. I'll be down to bare metal soon.

Chilly Willy
11th August 2008, 12:38 AM
180M? - I was afraid of that, as I only have about 260M left. - May just have to leave well enough alone then. At least until I can get a bigger drive. bummer :(

bbfuller
11th August 2008, 08:48 AM
Hello Chilly Willy

That could be a problem. However, at least some of the download will be replacements for existing. I'll probably be doing one more update from 4.0.5 to 4.1 later today, keep an eye on this thread and I'll post back how much my actual free disc space decreases when I do it.

bbfuller
11th August 2008, 04:31 PM
Hello Chilly Willy

Well, I used the 'df' command both before and after updating from KDE4.0.5 to KDE4.1 from the testing repository and it told me I had 114,912kbytes less space when I had finished, so that's really going to eat into your 260M.

If you are not fully up to date and have to do an ordinary update first that may also add to the toll!

Chilly Willy
11th August 2008, 08:14 PM
I'm fully up to date & COULD remove Gnome, but wanted to make sure KDE was going to work BEFORE doing that. I HAVE had the swap eat it all up & complain when doing video projects. Don't want that when messing with the "OS" - so to speak.

What I have going IS adequate, but KDE (in 3 anyway) gave me far better control that I am looking for. Now if 4.1 ON will only give it back. I heard ONE reason for removing it was that a few got complaining it was TO MUCH & HARD TO UNDERSTAND, well MY though on that is WELL, LEAVE IT ALONE THEN. - don't mess with setting you can't, for whatever reason, comprehend!!! Just don't take the rest of us with you!!! :mad:

bbfuller
11th August 2008, 10:09 PM
Hello Chilly Willy

That might be one way to try it out. After all if you didn't like the new KDE you could always remove it and reinstall Gnome.

I have to say though, that although the new KDE 4.1 is much improved over 4.0 it still has a long way to go before it replaces 3.5 in my affections. It 's just that I find it suits me more than Gnome or Xfce even in its unfinished state.

If you only have one desktop environment installed you should not find much trouble swapping them that way. The problems arise when you have two installed and want to remove one. If you have KDE and Gnome installed and try and remove KDE you find yourself removing large parts of Gnome as dependencies.

Chilly Willy
11th August 2008, 11:14 PM
I DO have an IMAGE of my HD so I can put it all back if I "hose" it but it sounds like I'd be better off just leaving it for now - then when I get a bigger HD, copy it (saving the old) & go from there. I have a swap kit in my computer, so no problem changing drives. Just need a bigger one. With my career, schooling & such, this works out quite well to run all the different stuff I use. And even though I technically only have Gnome, I Do have bits of KDE for certain stuff so it IS possible I COULD break stuff.

BTW: To the original poster - Sorry I sort of HIJACKED your thread.

ChEd
12th August 2008, 06:12 PM
If you are keen to have KDE 4.1 it's fairly easy to get.

It's a huge improvement over 4.0.5 which we have been using and no downsides that I can see so far. I have it on two machines and my laptop.

Do a complete update first, there are some dependencies in the ordinary updates.

Then from the full root command prompt:

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing groupupdate "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

You'll be downloading some 180MB

Thanks for that I have downloaded that now and i was pleasantly surprised that the volume on screen display thing/bug has gone and I noticed a few changes to the default GUI setup but overall no issues :D

I am torn between gnome and KDE for X as I like the 3d desktop switching thing in gnome that does not seem to be present in KDE LOL but I dont actually need it :)