PDA

View Full Version : KDE desktop stuffed up

tameboy
10th August 2008, 10:26 AM
oops, was playing around with some advanced settings in my KDE desktop and now I can't see anything. I can only get Fedora working now with Gnome.

Is there an easy way to reset the KDE settings so I can get it back again.

I have always used Gnome (since F7) but thought I would try KDE and was quite enjoying the experience until this happened. Teach me to play with settings I don't understand.

Wayne
10th August 2008, 11:01 AM
You could look in the hidden .kde directory in your home and nuke/rename config stuff there, or if you are just playing with KDE and have nothing to lose, you could nuke/rename the whole directory...

Wayne

MSK61
10th August 2008, 12:04 PM
What about creating a new user and trying to login using KDE with this user? If everything in KDE works fine with the new user, you may copy the .kde folder from that new user's home folder to your original user's home folder.

Wayne
10th August 2008, 12:07 PM
Sure, but if he just deletes or renames the .kde directory it will get rebuilt with all the defaults next time he logs in, which basically would be the same thing :)

Wayne

tameboy
10th August 2008, 12:20 PM
thanks guys. I deleted the .kde/share/config folder and it started fine. I will have to reset all my panels and widgets but at least it is back up and running now.

Thanks again.