PDA

View Full Version : yum configuration problem

mahesh_vm
9th August 2008, 09:37 PM
Whenever I am using "yum" command in order to install any software package from the terminal, I am getting one warning "Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit..." continually from the terminal window. The command I have used is "yum install libdvdcss libdvdnav totem-xine xine-lib-extras-nonfree". For the other commands which includes "yum" also I am facing the same problem. I have restarted the system in order to solve this, but it did not work. My Laptop is Dell Inspiron 1520. How to solve this issue for installing the software packages. Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

marcrblevins
9th August 2008, 10:03 PM
Start your terminal:

chkconfig --list | grep yum

If you see yum-updatesd is on
Then:

service yum-updatesd stop

You can do your own yum install now. Don't forget to turn yum-updatesd back on when you are done.
I don't use those. I use my own yum script, listed in my sig.

mahesh_vm
10th August 2008, 09:02 PM
Thank you very much for your time. Could you please tell me how to turn yum-updatesd on after installing the software package. I am a new comer in Linus OS and interested in learning this OS.

marcrblevins
10th August 2008, 09:37 PM
Thank you very much for your time. Could you please tell me how to turn yum-updatesd on after installing the software package. I am a new comer in Linus OS and interested in learning this OS.

Start your terminal:

su -
service yum-updatesd start