PDA

View Full Version : opera does it use more cpu then firefox

PatMcLJr
9th August 2008, 08:24 PM
I started using konky

konky shows the top 5 processes as far as cpu cycles

I like opera but it almost always shows up as sucking up the cpu, 15 20 25 even when I am not using it.
Any hints other then simply closing it and running it when I want to use it? speeddile? plugins?

Oh man, think twice about using the acrobat plugin with opera, I have had that hang my system and stay at 35 -40 percent of the cpu even when I close it. Then I have to go and kill it.

Thanks for any tips,
Pat Jr.

marcrblevins
9th August 2008, 10:06 PM
Why don't you close all web browsers. Then start firefox and opera to the same web site of your choice. When it finished loading the screen. Press Control + Esc, send us that snapshot?

PatMcLJr
9th August 2008, 11:17 PM
Like this?

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/patsstuff4sale/images/PatJrs/screencap09082008.gif

the processes hop around a bunch but opera stays close to the top and around 8 - 15 %

Thanks for the read,
Pat Jr.

marcrblevins
10th August 2008, 02:03 AM
Wow, that is interesting, its using 7.5% for Opera and zero for Firefox.

Guessing you could close all of your web browsers.

Start terminal and type:
/usr/lib/opera/9.51/opera
Or is it
./usr/lib/opera/9.51/opera

On that web browser, go to that same web page.
On the terminal, you should see something scrolling along. Does it show you something that is meaningful?

PatMcLJr
10th August 2008, 04:26 PM
Hello marcrblevins,
Thanks for the tips. Opera came up with the /usr/lib/opera/9.51/opera
it *****ed about a plugins problem and the loaded the google page
it looked the same in the process table at round 8% cpu usage

as a side note, I had a similar issue with audacity, so I started using amarok, I thought audacity would be lighter on my load but not true. Might have something to do with the sound engine I was using?

This gives me an idea, I'll quite using konky, or remove the process table in it. That's would be like taking the bulb out of the "check engine" light ;)

You using Etch? Are you going to move to Lenny? Can you point me in a direction to look for more on Debian like this ng?

Thanks Again,
Pat Jr.