PDA

View Full Version : I can't mount drive

theerapong
9th August 2008, 07:30 PM
Hello Everybody, I installed Fedora 9 but I have problem about mounting drive. I have 2 OS on my laptop, Linux and Windows. I want to open drive C, D on Windows but I can't open it. I try to open with double-click or right-click and Mount Volume but nothing appear. Can you help me?

Thank you very much...

PatMcLJr
9th August 2008, 07:40 PM
peck around for ntfs and fuse

install yumex and then look for these items for hints.

I am still using F8 so things could be a little different.
Got that data backed up?

No warranty on my tips.
Best of Luck,
Pat Jr.

Chilly Willy
9th August 2008, 07:44 PM
I'm reading this both ways - under which OS are you trying to do the mounting?

theerapong
9th August 2008, 07:57 PM
I use Linux and I want to mount drive on windows

PatMcLJr
9th August 2008, 08:04 PM
Don't yea just love Chilly Willy!

I didn't know Windows had a "mount" , I guess it could.
I guessed that he was using fedora. If he, or she for that matter, was in Windows it would be unlikely to be running without the "C" drive, it could be, but very unlikely.

Without ntfs-3g and the gang that goes with it, doubt that the Windows drive will mount unless it's formated to fat32, that would be rare.

No warranty on my tips.
2 cents from
Pat Jr.

theerapong
9th August 2008, 08:19 PM
This is my Linux

and I want to open drive 43.0 GB Media.

http://www.uploadd.com/download.aspx?pku=177B307722PDBVPWVFOF8VJ6BS4I3D

theerapong
9th August 2008, 08:24 PM
I want to open 43.0 GB Media

http://b.imagehost.org/0579/Screenshot.png

Chilly Willy
9th August 2008, 08:38 PM
Don't yea just love Chilly Willy!

I didn't know Windows had a "mount" , I guess it could.
I guessed that he was using fedora. If he, or she for that matter, was in Windows it would be unlikely to be running without the "C" drive, it could be, but very unlikely.

Without ntfs-3g and the gang that goes with it, doubt that the Windows drive will mount unless it's formated to fat32, that would be rare.

No warranty on my tips.
2 cents from
Pat Jr.

Well, all I can say is that I've learned (the hard way) not to make assumptions when it comes to questions on forums as I have seen some really weird, & dare I say STUPID ones. (& I'm NOT saying THIS one in any way qualifies for either) so I just wanted to make absolutely sure I was reading this right before I commented any further. & understand exactly what it is the poster is trying to do.

& YES M$ DOES mount / unmount, it does it automatically (but can be forced) so MOST are not aware of it. It was the AUTO MOUNT that I thought the poster was trying... So my answer would be different & VOID for what the poster wanted.

BTW: I DO have formal training in M$ - so MAYBE it is that ADVANCED knowledge that is getting in the way when I read some of this stuff.

Even the answer: "I use Linux and I want to mount drive on windows" can be interpreted as either way. As I read this to translate as " I use LINUX but want to mount my drives under WINDOWS when using windows" as well as "I am using LINUX and windows but would like to mount ALL drive when I'm using LINUX even the windows drives".

Hope this cleared things up.

marko
9th August 2008, 09:08 PM
I used this guide to mount ntfs drives from Fedora at work:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html#ntfs

PatMcLJr
9th August 2008, 09:15 PM
Hey Chilly Willy,
Yea, I getcha. One thing about this place, it's global. Some of these folks are posting in a very foreign language to them. Good for them for having at it! I have a hard time with English, the American kind, and it's all I know.

The only questions I have found suspect were posed be possible trolls, but very very few.

Thanks for the info on the M$ mounting. I hope I never need it! I seldom boot my Windows partition now a days, yea!

As for the problem here. Interesting that it shows up twice, or maybe he has two drives or partitions the same? The error message might give more clues about how to get this working, but I suspect it's the ntfs thing. I think fat32 wont format to 43GB? I know it has a limit in there.

maybe this would help?
as root
yum install kmod-ntfs

that should suck in all the packages to get ntfs-3g working and updated
I do suggest installing yumex, it makes package management easier.

Great to have you around here Chilly Willy. Lots of Wdoze questions in here now and then. Nice to have an expert to offer a tip or two.

No warranty on my tips.
Best of Luck,
Pat Jr.

Chilly Willy
10th August 2008, 04:17 AM
First off I'll say that even though I know M$ I'm still learning & I'd NEVER claim to know EVERYTHING. Also, even though I know M$ I am very much still an advanced BEGINNER when it comes to linux so I may know what I want to do but NOT how to do it. - & quite frankly, as with ANY human, I DO make mistakes, (with BOTH OS's) rarely, but they still happen. So I don't like going off half cocked & giving info that MAY just make things worse. Thus the caution...

With that said;
It appears that from the picture in post 7 that the linux system is seeing the drives or I'd think that the icons wouldn't be present. Linux has gotten to the point that any more it handles NTFS better than FAT (from what I've gathered) but that is pretty much irrelevant at this point. - the size is also irrelevant in this case as to whether NTFS or FAT as fat32 can be pushed well beyond this size but at a cost, though.

I assume (& I know I shouldn't) that when you right click, it DOES say mount & NOT unmount. (or maybe both?) As the icon is that of an unmounted device. - (correct me if I'm wrong on this, please, as it is relevant)

It DOES seem funny to me that you can't right click on the icon & click mount & get it to mount. Or possibly even using the command line? - I AM curious to find out what is causing this myself, & since it IS a linux thing, will let the linux GURU's take it.

theerapong
12th August 2008, 10:28 AM
Oh... Thank you everybody, now I can open drive windows on fedora.

Chilly Willy
12th August 2008, 05:38 PM
So... what was the problem? :confused: