PDA

View Full Version : Odd error- Too many open files in system

agoela
9th August 2008, 12:57 AM
I am trying to launch Firefox on my F9 machine and when I try to launch it I get "Error reading file 'file:///usr/share/applications/mozilla-firefox.desktop': Error opening file: Too many open files in system". I attempted to launch a terminal window and I get the same thing. Another thing I noticed was at the top, it just shows boxes instead of text. There are no icons next to the applications when I select any of the menus at the top. I attempted to connect to the machine via telnet and it just stalls. I can not even access a web page, but I can i access webmin, which is strange.

I have noticed this before, what could be causing this kind of a problem?

Amit :confused:

agoela
9th August 2008, 01:04 AM
Sorry, I should mention the specs:

AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 4600+ dual-core - 2.4GHz
4 GB of ram (Fedora sees 3.5 GB)
250 GB hard drive

I am installing an application over the network with the host being my machine, but I have seen it when I have launched a few applications locally on the server as well.

Hlingler
9th August 2008, 04:58 AM
I've seen this with Opera, but only Opera, and only to a limited degree - closing/re-opening Opera fixes the issue. See post #69: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=191551&page=5&postcount=69

I looked into it a little, but the open files limit references I found all related to terminal sessions. ???

V