PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curiosity

irot
24th July 2004, 06:32 PM
I'm kinda new to this, and am still downloading the Athlon64 install ISOs (and yes, i am running an Athlon64 ;)) . But just out of curiosity, how many of u here were able to (honestly) install Fedora Core 2 (any version, not necessarily the 64bit one):
- dual booted with WinXP
- on one hard drive
- without a hitch
- on the first try
- without the aid of caffeine
- and still managed to get enough sleep...?
:cool:
a few more hours and it'll be my turn, yayyy... :D

earobinson111
24th July 2004, 06:51 PM
well i dont have an athlone64 but i did

ewdi
24th July 2004, 07:21 PM
i did on my athlon 64, got a lot of trouble on my laptop though :p

marks_linux
25th July 2004, 07:29 AM
I did, then went to 64bit (then had problems getting other apps to install - mostly my inexperience), then wnet back to 32.

Running happily dual boot to WInXP (one of the lucky ones where it all "just worked")

Mark

Jman
25th July 2004, 12:00 PM
Not me, my upgrade (32 bit) had the partition table bug. Oh well, clean install is a fresh start.

Moved to Fedora Focus.

james016
26th July 2004, 12:14 AM
Me. I got it triple booting. Though all OS were put on a brand new hard disk. The 3rd OS is Xandros.

AliOop
26th July 2004, 01:46 AM
Add me to the bunch that didn't experence any problems. Of course I've been playing around with one Linux distro or another for some time. Even so, FC2 and 1 installed without a hitch. Let me back-up some. I had a sound problem that was solved by installing a PCI card. I had an old ISA originally. But other then that, no problems with the install. I have had some minor problem running/installing some apps. But a little work and I'm good to go. By the way, I've never been a fan of duel boot machines. Fedora is the only OS on my machine.

bob
26th July 2004, 04:02 AM
No Prob. Used PartitionMagic 7.0 which suggested a Linux partition with swap, installation went smooth as silk, dual booting with XP. Considering my lack of experience with Linux or Grub at the time, it's a damned good thing too!

owakroeger
26th July 2004, 04:33 AM
I did a dual-boot with FC2 and Win98 with absolutely no problems. The only problems I experienced were self induced post install. Y'know, when your enthusiasm exceeds your abilities and/or knowlege. But, as you fix your self-induced problems, hopefully you learn from them.

shadowfox
26th July 2004, 08:49 AM
Ok, so I just downloaded the fc2 isos from redhat's site and have them burned. Now here is the problem:

I've got a Athlon 2000XP with 512MB Ram and a 20GB drive with 11GB towards Windows XP and the rest is *suppose* to be for fc2. I've had RH 9.0 on it and was trying to play with fc2. Here is what I get after burning the iso's.

On bootup: Tries to read cdrom - then boots XP.

I've burnt discs twice! Help.

taylor65
26th July 2004, 08:59 AM
I installed FC2 on 4 different systems, first time, no problems. Only one of them is being dual booted with windows though.

owakroeger
26th July 2004, 11:16 AM
There's a thread from about 6 weeks ago, or so, dealing specifically with dual boot and Windows XP. And it includes a very well written howto on how to avoid the problem you mention, and how to fix it if you break it. Look for 'dual-boot and Windows XP' in the threads.

irot
28th July 2004, 10:26 PM
ok all went well..except for some self induced problems during partitioning (like what owa said :p )
apart from that, everything's fine..well...kinda fine
you could expect some more posts from me in the AMD64 section though as i am starting to meet with frustration :mad:
thx for the responses :cool:

Ug
29th July 2004, 12:21 AM
I had absolutely no problems with my out of the box Win XP laptop. ;)

sailor
29th July 2004, 06:00 AM
No problems that couldn't be fixed (config...etc)...I did not install FC 2 on same drive though..I did do that with FC 1 ...but over all no problems...