PDA

View Full Version : Could not launch menu item

luckyiducky
8th August 2008, 08:03 PM
I just installed Fedora 9 a few days ago so I'm a complete noob to Linux.

I'm trying to install adobe flash. When I go to Applications > System Tools > Package Installer , the following error shows up:

Could Not Launch Menu Item

Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/gpk-install-file" (No such file or directory)

Is the package installer not working? Or do I not install programs from here? How do I install apps, I'm completely lost.

I posted this in the wrong section earlier, I suppose it belongs here.

bbfuller
8th August 2008, 11:19 PM
Hello luckyiducky

For installing packages most of us use something that is not installed with Fedora called 'Yumex'. I suggest you give it a try.

If you open a terminal window and use the command:

su -

to obtain full root permissions - note the space and the minus sign are important to give you full root access - then, after giving your root password:

yum install yumex

You will find the program called 'yum extender' on the "Gnome Applications Menu - System Tools. It's colloquially known as yumex.

It should help you to install all programs in the Fedora repositories.

Unfortunately, Adobe Flash will not be one of them. For licence reasons it is not included in the Fedora Repositories.

To install that you can install the Flash repository with this command:

rpm -ivh http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

You should then find 'flash-plugin' in the available packages section of Yumex, or you could do it from the command line with:

yum install flash-plugin

Hope that helps, post back if you encounter problems.