PDA

View Full Version : Wine security issue?

TameLion
24th July 2004, 04:50 PM
I was just wondering.. I know that linux is mainly virus-free because you generally aren't logged in as a super user. This means that any potential virus would only be able to propogate in the home directory of the user currently logged on.

I've recently installed wine and am wondering if there will be a security issue here, because I now have a nice load of executables in my home directory (~\.wine)? Is this a potential risk??

Tame Lion.

foolish
25th July 2004, 12:25 AM
I've never heard of any viruses attacking through wine. So no, not a security issue.

TameLion
25th July 2004, 12:30 AM
Hehe ok thats good enough for me! I don't know if it should be, but I guess it's a bit like saying "I've never been struck by lightening, so it's not a threat to my life." Well I'm safe ;)

crackers
25th July 2004, 05:58 AM
Actually, I remember a few months back that someone had sucessfully managed to get a virus to actually "infect" a Wine installation - not that it actually damaged anything beyond the Wine sandbox. It showed that Wine was actually getting a lot closer to Windows... :D

Technically, it is possible for a Wine installation to be infected - but the likelyhood of that infection affecting the rest of the OS is non-existent. Wine is not necessarily a sufficient barrier - it takes Windows system calls and translates them to Linux system calls.

The main difference is that if the "wine-c" drive has a virus embedded in it, it's much simpler to wipe it out and re-install the Windows programs you need (all the while merrily working with the "pure" Linux apps) than to disinfect an entire OS. Plus, if you do have a virus, you can simply "kill -9" any wine processes and the virus will pretty much stop running...