PDA

View Full Version : PackageKit Error

donari75
8th August 2008, 06:36 AM
How can I fix this ?

Add and Remove software's refresh dosen't work.

see the picture.

Please, help me ...

Demz
8th August 2008, 06:49 AM
have you tried in command line
su -
password

yum clean all

by the way, what packageKit Version do you have?

donari75
8th August 2008, 07:37 AM
I aleady had done "yum clean all", but PackageKit generate same error.

PackageKit version ----
Name : PackageKit Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 0.2.3 Vendor: Fedora Project
Release : 6.fc9 Build Date:
Install Date: Build Host: x86-3

Also, gnome PackageKit version ----
Name : gnome-packagekit Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 0.2.3 Vendor: Fedora Project
Release : 9.fc9 Build Date:
Install Date: Build Host: x86-1

Demz
8th August 2008, 07:42 AM
ok.. do this.. remove that Version.. an reinstall the older Version coz i know the 0.2.3 version was Bug ridden, i know i had the same problem when i installed it

or what you could do is just not use PackageKit an download yumex

disable packageKit from Sessions > Startup Programs > uncheck PackageKit Update Aplett

or do this

yum remove packagekit

donari75
8th August 2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks, My choice will be disabling packagekit from start session.
Actually, I use yum and yumex. gnome-packagekit is too slow now.

warpino
5th September 2008, 09:58 AM
Dear all,

I just started using Fedora 9 and I'm having a lot of problems with Packagekit. After my first installation my system hung for hours after the update process (and there was no way to stop it!).

I read there were some issues in PAckagekit 0.1.x so I reinstalled the OS and, before doing anything else, I tried to get rid of Packagekit. What is the alternative? Awkwardly, system-config-printer seems to depend on Packagekit, how can this be? Is there any way to use this utility without Packagekit?

Finally I managed to update Packagekit to version 0.2.3 but I was forced to shut down the system coz the update process got stuck again just at the end. Fortunally when I rebooted the computer PAckagekit 0.2.3 was installed, but I definitely want to solve these issues!

Thanks a lot for your help,

w.

Demz
5th September 2008, 10:08 AM
Dear all,

I just started using Fedora 9 and I'm having a lot of problems with Packagekit. After my first installation my system hung for hours after the update process (and there was no way to stop it!).

I read there were some issues in PAckagekit 0.1.x so I reinstalled the OS and, before doing anything else, I tried to get rid of Packagekit. What is the alternative? Awkwardly, system-config-printer seems to depend on Packagekit, how can this be? Is there any way to use this utility without Packagekit?

Finally I managed to update Packagekit to version 0.2.3 but I was forced to shut down the system coz the update process got stuck again just at the end. Fortunally when I rebooted the computer PAckagekit 0.2.3 was installed, but I definitely want to solve these issues!

Thanks a lot for your help,

w.
download yumex from command line but you might wanna remove packagekit .. its useless

Just login as user root in Command line an type
yum remove Packagekit

marcrblevins
5th September 2008, 10:10 AM
I removed all guis, use my script instead. Yumex is a favorite one.

su -
yum remove packagekit yum-updatesd

Check my sig for the scripts.
It runs yum from your cron.daily job while you sleep like a baby. Would write e-mail to root and your Logwatch would have that info as well daily.

Nokia
5th September 2008, 10:23 AM
Sorry guys, you're awfully wrong this time. PackageKit is needed this time to facilitate the importing of the new keys. So please do
su -

wget http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/PackageKit/0.2.4/6.fc9/x86_64/PackageKit-0.2.4-6.fc9.x86_64.rpm http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/PackageKit/0.2.4/6.fc9/x86_64/PackageKit-libs-0.2.4-6.fc9.x86_64.rpm http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/PackageKit/0.2.4/6.fc9/x86_64/yum-packagekit-0.2.4-6.fc9.x86_64.rpm

rpm -Uvh PackageKit-* yum-packagekit-0.2.4-6.fc9.x86_64.rpm

Fedora 9 original PackageKit doesn't have this capability. It has been introduced in 0.2.X-something.

Here's for 32 bit machines
su -

wget http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/PackageKit/0.2.4/6.fc9/i386/PackageKit-0.2.4-6.fc9.i386.rpm http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/PackageKit/0.2.4/6.fc9/i386/PackageKit-libs-0.2.4-6.fc9.i386.rpm http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/PackageKit/0.2.4/6.fc9/i386/yum-packagekit-0.2.4-6.fc9.i386.rpm

rpm -Uvh PackageKit-* yum-packagekit-0.2.4-6.fc9.i386.rpm

Wayne
5th September 2008, 10:29 AM
I refuse to install that piece of junk on my machine!

Wayne

marcrblevins
5th September 2008, 10:30 AM
I use 32 bit, ran your chunk of commands. It didn't ask me to safe new keys. I'm baffled. Should newly yum package have the new keys as well?

Nokia
5th September 2008, 10:39 AM
No. That would be solely for the moment fedora-release packages appear. But installing the latest packages will most likely spare you from any nuisances of the sort that made Wayne so bitter (? :) ) about it :)

Wayne
5th September 2008, 10:44 AM
Umm, if I format my drive and reinstall OS/2 I'd have far less problem software :) Of course, that would mean using the iBook to watch my DVDs...

Wayne

hughsient
8th September 2008, 02:01 PM
I refuse to install that piece of junk on my machine!
Have you filed bugs? Comments like that are not constructive.

Wayne
8th September 2008, 02:35 PM
Kinda hard to file bugs on something I removed from my machine soon after installing F9.... and something I won't allow on my machine till I decide I want it or I decide it's necessary. yum from a CLI works well enough.

Edit: PackageKit is a bit like windows, they're both an answer to a problem that never existed.

Wayne

hughsient
8th September 2008, 03:50 PM
Kinda hard to file bugs on something I removed from my machine soon after installing F9
Right, so if you are happy using the CLI then that's just fine. You do know PackageKit has a CLI tool too? man pkcon give you most of the common stuff you can do with yum, and you can do it from the user session without sudo too.

PackageKit is a bit like windows, they're both an answer to a problem that never existed.
I'm sorry you've lost me completely with that logic. I guess by Windows you mean Microsoft Windows, which does answer the problem for a few billion people. I guess you've also not been following PackageKit development either, as PackageKit is going to be used in Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSe and Foresight. I guess that problem does exist after all.