PDA

View Full Version : how to activate wireless on dell inspiron 1501

paralizer
6th August 2008, 03:01 PM
hi Iv installed fedora 9 on dell inspiron 1501 but the problem is that the wireless network dosnt work.

I'm able so see the wireless card, but I can not activate it, because the ALT + F2 key combination does not work. In windows works without a problem.

Anyone with similar problem and a solution?

Thanks in advance.

bbfuller
6th August 2008, 03:07 PM
Hello paralizer

When you say you can see the wireless card, just where can you see it?

A lot of wireless cards in Fedora require extra software installed, if you haven't done any of that and would like to be sure if you need to then please run the command:

/sbin/lspci

in a terminal window and post back the result for 'network' and 'ethernet' devices.

Adymeblack
9th August 2008, 12:15 AM
I have the same model and i had the same problems.

Have you "cut" the firmware for the wireless card in F9?
There is an article in here somewhere that will explain it. I did it in about ten minutes and my wireless works fine.

Even though the subject is for a 1505 the same principals work the same, this link explains how to do it.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=196065&highlight=Wireless+firmware

bbfuller
9th August 2008, 09:29 AM
Hello Adymeblack and paralizer

That's one of the threads I was involved in that you've linked to above. It's not a general howto to all of the Broadcom cards however.

The important thing is the chipset within the wireless card. There are at least two broadcom chipsets that require different firmware cutting for it to work and three broadcom chipsets that won't work at all with the b43 drivers. In which case it would be necessary to use ndiswrapper.

It's not unknown for wireless chipsets to change during a run of laptops of the same model number either.

Hence the recommendation to use the command in post #2. That usually identifies the exact chipset, not just the model number of the laptop or of the wireless card within it.

Dangermouse
9th August 2008, 10:36 AM
Hi sorry to but in all, but i have made a offline installer for broadcom, and was hoping you could try it, if it doesnt work, then no harm done., also if you have installed ndiswrapper, then it probably wont work.
http://dnmouse.webs.com/broadcom.html