PDA

View Full Version : SD RAM Question...?

KnightingGale
6th August 2008, 10:32 AM
I am putting some old computers together to make one new one and maybe one to give away.

With regards to SD RAM, I have 100 and 133s, also PC100-322-620.

I can't tell which is what size. 16Mtimes64, like 16M+64.

8Mtimes8.

IBM, Toshiba, with obscure dates of manufacture.

I have three slots, and should be able to put together about 512 MB of SD RAM.

Or even 1 or 2 GB.

I am concerned about speeds. Clashes.

And is 640 MB SD RAM alright?

I used two slots, and on start up, I think I saw only 128 MB when looking for the RAM, but that may have been the Video Card. NVIDIA 128 MB.

I am interested because I fancy the 3D desktop effects.

How can I stop the start up at the figures/volumes page?

Any know how on doing up the SD RAM? I would appreciate it.

bbfuller
6th August 2008, 10:57 AM
Hello KnightingGale

SD RAM used to come in three main variants. PC66, PC100 and PC133.

Which type you used would depend on the motherboard/processor combination and also quite probably the settings of some jumpers on the motherboard.

Early Celerons used to run memory at a 66MHz speed hence PC66. They would usually be happy running with PC100 or PC133 though.

A problem can arise with mixing various types of modules where the timing of the memory operations is not compatible.

Later processors like the AMD KD-2 range would usually expect to run PC133 memory and if that was the way the motherboard was set then it would be looking for trouble to try to run them with PC100 or PC66.

If there's no label on the memory modules then the only easy way to find capacity is to put them in a motherboard and see what they are.

There's no guarantee that chips of different density will work together.

The motherboard that you are using will also specify the maximum memory size per slot. It will also specify the maximum memory on the board. Which may mean that you can't fill each slot to its maximum capacity.

Best thing to do is find the motherboard manufacturers site and download a manual. Most of them have a pretty good archive.

I've had Fedroa happily running in 384MB of memory though 512MB is a lot slicker.

markkuk
6th August 2008, 12:05 PM
I can't tell which is what size. 16Mtimes64, like 16M+64.

That's 128 Megabytes (16M*64 bits).

KnightingGale
6th August 2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks, I enjoy hardware.