PDA

View Full Version : wireless d-link DAW 542

alaws
6th August 2008, 10:16 AM
Dear All
I have a PCI Wireless Card its a " d-link DAW 542" but I can use it under Fedora core . I visit d-link web site but I'm not fount a driver to this device under Linux.
Please tell me how I can use this wireless card under Linux
thanks to all

bbfuller
6th August 2008, 10:41 AM
Hello alaws

It's not the make of the wireless card that will determine what you need to do with it in Linux.

It's the type of chips inside it.

If you run the command:

/sbin/lspci

in a terminal and post back the results for 'ethernet' and 'network' we may be able to help.

alaws
6th August 2008, 06:04 PM
I will try then I will type the result
Thank you

bbfuller
6th August 2008, 06:08 PM
Hello alaws

If you are able to get access to the internet from your linux installation, you can copy and paste the output of the command rather than type it out again.

Post back if you have any problems, we can always sort something out.

alaws
9th August 2008, 04:18 PM
Hi bbfuller
Im very happy to contact you...
when I run the command /sbin/lspci .... the result is:
00:0d.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5416 802.11abgn Wireless
PCI Adapter (rev 01).
.... How I can use it !!!!?????
thanks

bbfuller
9th August 2008, 05:22 PM
Hello alaws

That card is not one of the easy ones unless Fedora is supposting it without us realising it.

There is a way of controlling some atheros cards called 'ath5k'. It is being updated all the time, I don't think it supports your card but I'd like to be sure before we start installing anything else.

Have you looked in the NetworkManager icon? It's on the top Gnome Panel just to the left of the clock. If you left click on it, does it show any wireless networks?

Assuming that it does not, then the news is that your card appears to be one of those that is not simple to get working in Fedora, not impossible but not easy.

We'll need to be aware of more details of your system.

I assume you are running Fedora 9?

Have you been able to update it since installation?

Do you have internet accss to the machine? Perhaps by a wired ethernet connection. We will need extra packages for this and if you don't have internet access it gets very difficult.

If you don't have regular internet access to your machine, can you get a connection somewhere to update the system? The packages you will need are only available for the more recent Fedora kernels and it's going to be nearly impossible to get what you would otherwise need if your system is not up to date.

alaws
9th August 2008, 09:48 PM
I use the Windows side of Linux Can I withdraw these packages through the windows and then install it on Linux

bbfuller
9th August 2008, 10:16 PM
Hello alaws

In principle you can do that sort of thing.

In this particular instance though the packages you need are compiled for particular kernels, and if you haven't been able to update your system since installation you won't have the correct kernel on your system to run them.

It may just be possible to download the new kernel and install that and then the packages that you need, but the problem with installing rpm's without direct access to the repositories is that you can so easily run into dependency issues where each package won't install without access to yet more packages.

I assume from what you say that you have some sort of community wireless access without any wired access at all?

I'll try and talk you through doing it by downloading to your Windows system and transferring the data if you would like, with no promise of success, but if you can get access to the internet through a wired connection at a friends or anywhere else it would be so much easier.

I have to warn you though that I tried this with someone else a couple of weeks ago and they gave up part way through because each time they downloaded and tried to install some packages the rpm command told them that they needed more.

alaws
10th August 2008, 10:12 AM
Hello bbfuller
I have a nearly Computer center it use a LAN Network to access Internet ... how many time I need to make complete Update ? and what I will do to installing the packages witch I need to use my wireless pci
thank you very much

bbfuller
10th August 2008, 11:02 AM
Hello alaws

A complete update is going to vary depending on for example how many desktop environments you have installed on your machine.

It's also going to depend on how fast the connection to the internet is in the Computer Centre. You had better prepare for quite a few hundred megabytes of data though.

It's one of the penalties of Fedora being such a fast moving distribution, the updates build up very quickly.

While you have your machine connected to the internet updating, it will be a perfect time to download all the bits you need for you wireless as well.

So, after the update, reboot the machine and then at the full root command line:

rpm -i http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-9.rpm

That will bring in the files to enable the livna repository on your machine. Incidentally, if you haven't had to do that yet, you need to acquire the full root command prompt with the command:

su -

the space and the minus sign after the su are very important. Without them you only get root access over your ordinary users environment. With them you get root access over the whole machine.

then:

yum --enablerepo=livna-testing install akmod-madwifi

should bring in all the packages you need for the wireless.

The akmod method of packaging is fairly new and should save you having to download the madwifi packages in future when the kernel updates.

The theory now is that if you reboot your machine again, it will dynamically compile the required madwifi packages as it starts up.

If it's going to work, you should then when you have access to the desktop again, be able to left click on NetworkManager on the top Gnome Panel just to the left of the clock and see available wireless networks, left clicking on yours should prompt you for any encryption key.

Don't try controlling the wireless card by any other means. The other methods prevent NetworkManager having control in the same way that NetworkManager will prevent the other methods of working.

Post back before you start if you have any questions, I'll be looking out.