PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia driver 173.14.12 working or not working?

DraconPern
6th August 2008, 08:51 AM
Does the nvidia driver 173.14.12 work for you in FC8 or FC9? Please no long bug reports. Thanks.

M4rc0
6th August 2008, 11:52 AM
Yep. Yours doesn't ?

And describe "works", if it's just works than it works (:p).

But i'm not sure if the performance is at it's best (as it should).

The New World
6th August 2008, 01:01 PM
Mine's working perfectly on both gnome and kde with compiz running from start up, using GeForce 7600GT card :)

brebs
6th August 2008, 03:36 PM
Useless poll - we already know that nvidia works. People would be screaming in the streets if it didn't, probably, having gaming-withdrawal symptoms.

For specific issues, see nvidia's Linux forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14).

DraconPern
7th August 2008, 06:15 AM
Is this "nvidia works' documented somewhere? All I see is a message to avoid the proprietary drivers. I have learned that things don't work by default. I had endless trouble getting ati to work on a laptop with FC8. It worked until I upgraded to FC9. All the while trying to write some software... It's a real drag on productivity. Now that I have a desktop with nVidia, I want to know if I can go back to FC9 or stay switched. Ultimately, it will determine if Linux will be supported by our cross platform medical software and which distribution will be supported.

Hlingler
7th August 2008, 06:37 AM
Is this "nvidia works' documented somewhere? All I see is a message to avoid the proprietary drivers.Where have you seen that? I can show you where to find: "Don't use the binary installer provided by NVidia Corp., but rather, use a re-packaged RPM of the same exact driver"....
I have learned that things don't work by default.Well, I suppose there's more than a fair share that don't, but given that Fedora is by definition a "cutting-edge" distro, and since the price of the software is $0, it seems to me to be rather a bargain if anything at all works....
I had endless trouble getting ati to work on a laptop with FC8. It worked until I upgraded to FC9. All the while trying to write some software... It's a real drag on productivity. Now that I have a desktop with nVidia, I want to know if I can go back to FC9 or stay switched. Ultimately, it will determine if Linux will be supported by our cross platform medical software and which distribution will be supported.So, we get to the real issue at last: surely you have read the Fedora Project Mission Statement, and/or seen at least one of the countless other threads discussing the position and objectives of the Fedora Project, especially vis-a-vis other Linux distros and other OSs? And why it's probably not a good distro for anything "production-level" or "mission-critical"? If not, this thread is likely to now erupt into yet another such debacle. Well done.

V

DraconPern
7th August 2008, 06:47 AM
I am just hoping my experience is unique. All I want is stats. So if it works or don't work for you, please take the poll. I am also looking at smolt, but /stats and /devices on the site is hard to make sense of.

tonyA4
7th August 2008, 05:59 PM
It works perfect !!!
Acceleration is amazing , compared to xorg driver (I used Google Earth as testing program, or if somebody likes games - Tremulous).
I even connected TV as second screen via wireless transmitter/receiver.

Just one negative part - it was hard to me to compile and install it for first time, was so many dependencies to resolve to make the nvidia module.

M4rc0
8th August 2008, 07:30 PM
It works perfect !!!
Acceleration is amazing , compared to xorg driver (I used Google Earth as testing program, or if somebody likes games - Tremulous).
I even connected TV as second screen via wireless transmitter/receiver.

Just one negative part - it was hard to me to compile and install it for first time, was so many dependencies to resolve to make the nvidia module.

What version are you using?

xorg-x11-drv-nvidia 173.14.12-1.lvn9
kmod-nvidia 173.14.12-1.lnv9 ?

Since you took the liberty to test it, i'd like to know wich version are you using since i read on nvnews that they recommend a test version driver or something

(i hope it's the same as mine to be sure tho)

:)

leigh123linux
8th August 2008, 08:20 PM
It works fine !

[root@localhost leigh05]# rpm -qa |grep nvidia
nvidia-x11-drv-173.14.12-1.fc9.x86_64
nvidia-x11-drv-32bit-173.14.12-1.fc9.x86_64
[root@localhost leigh05]#

JN4OldSchool
8th August 2008, 08:33 PM
Never had a problem with the Livna nVidia drivers in Fedora, other than the usual lag between the driver update and the kernel update, but this is now a thing of the past with akmod-nvidia, which has worked perfectly so far. Installation is simply a matter of enabling Livna then just yum it in. No fuss, no hassle, works perfectly.

A silly poll!

As far as the OP's ideas about supporting Linux with a cross-platform medical software suite, maybe Fedora isnt the best distro to showcase? Then again, maybe it is. Either way, if you support Linux then you automatically support every distro. I am sure that the people using this software will have the resources to hire someone to compile it for their systems.

tonyA4
10th August 2008, 08:26 AM
I have successfully tested two different distributions:
1. First I tested nVidia's original distribution from the www.nvidia.com.
It comes in binary installation script form:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run

It was hard to me to install it, because of missing packages in my Fedora system, like:
kernel-devel and others.
This way have one disadvantage - it is not rpm package and after updating the kernel is needed to install it again manually, and I do not like it, I like automatic yum updates.

2. After some time I found (in this forum) that rpm distributions exists.
I installed:
akmod-nvidia-173.14.12-2.lvn9.i686
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-173.14.12-1.lvn9.i386
kmod-nvidia-2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686-173.14.12-2.lvn9.i686
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-173.14.12-1.lvn9.i386
kmod-nvidia-173.14.12-2.lvn9.i686

There was one problem - glx was not running.
I made some research and found that system is trying to load the wrong GLX module - the Xorg's one (vendor="X.Org Foundation" in Xorg.0.log), not the nVidia's one (vendor="NVIDIA Corporation" in Xorg.0.log).
Solution is to insert line in xorg.conf file in "Files" section:
Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Best regards,
Tony Arie Kolev,
Linux Professional.

What version are you using?

xorg-x11-drv-nvidia 173.14.12-1.lvn9
kmod-nvidia 173.14.12-1.lnv9 ?

Since you took the liberty to test it, i'd like to know wich version are you using since i read on nvnews that they recommend a test version driver or something

(i hope it's the same as mine to be sure tho)

:)

M4rc0
10th August 2008, 09:06 AM
I installed:

Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what i have except for the "akmod-nvidia".
What is that package for ?

I don't have it and everything seems fine here =o

Demz
10th August 2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what i have except for the "akmod-nvidia".
What is that package for ?

I don't have it and everything seems fine here =o
Search for a Thread " whats the difference between a akmod an a kmod "
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=193301&highlight=difference+akmod+kmod

JN4OldSchool
10th August 2008, 01:32 PM
I have successfully tested two different distributions:
1. First I tested nVidia's original distribution from the www.nvidia.com.
It comes in binary installation script form:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run

It was hard to me to install it, because of missing packages in my Fedora system, like:
kernel-devel and others.
This way have one disadvantage - it is not rpm package and after updating the kernel is needed to install it again manually, and I do not like it, I like automatic yum updates.

I installed:

There was one problem - glx was not running.
I made some research and found that system is trying to load the wrong GLX module - the Xorg's one (vendor="X.Org Foundation" in Xorg.0.log), not the nVidia's one (vendor="NVIDIA Corporation" in Xorg.0.log).
Solution is to insert line in xorg.conf file in "Files" section:
Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Best regards,
Tony Arie Kolev,
Linux Professional.

This was because you did not remove the nVidia binary. Had you just installed the Livna driver from the start you would not have had this problem.

tonyA4
10th August 2008, 01:56 PM
Not exactly , of course I removed nvidia driver with:
nvidia-install --uninstall
before I started to play with rpm

cloneu2
10th August 2008, 03:31 PM
Works here without any problem. I use the binary from Nvidia...