PDA

View Full Version : Need a new NIC card.

TheCigarman
6th August 2008, 03:26 AM
My NIC card died. Shuffled off to Best Buy. Bought Linksys, OPPS not linux drivers from cisco...
OK, suggestions on a cheap PCI NIC card that I can plug in and F9 will reconize? I'm not up to compiling a new kernal or any other typical linux solution. Just want a plug and play card.

thanks in advance

rp
mainframe communications guy trying to deal with linux....

TheCigarman
6th August 2008, 02:49 PM
back to the top...i don't understand, 40 people viewed this and no one knows nic card that works?

bbfuller
6th August 2008, 03:02 PM
Hello TheCigarman

It's often a problem giving specific recommendations for cards in Linux, as Linux is mostly specified for the chipsets on them.

If you want something branded then I would have thought almost anything with Intel on it would work.

Most network chipsets do work out of the box, but I've been seeing a few reports on the forum of people having trouble with the very latest Realtek chipsets.

If you can find something with a Realtek 8139 on it I've used those with complete success.

Also Infineon 983B, and certain Davicom chipsets.

All I can say is that it's more unusual for one not to work than the other way round.

TheCigarman
6th August 2008, 03:26 PM
Thank you sir. Thats what I was looking for. I installed FC9 on an OLD Compaq PC and whatever nic card it has (no markings) worked after the install. My first replacement card was a Linksys (should work right), NOPE, no drivers. I didn't want to go back to BB and repeat.

oneofmany
6th August 2008, 03:30 PM
most realtek and intel cards work without issues as far as im aware and usually work out-of-the-box; as do those built into motherboards which usually use broadcom, realtek or intel chipsets

marcrblevins
7th August 2008, 08:01 AM
Mine is all 3Com NIC cards back in 2000/2001 circa.

marcrblevins
7th August 2008, 08:01 AM
Speaking of 3Com, I never seen their stuff being sell in any stores, OfficeDepot, BestBuy, CircuitCity. R.I.P.?

sej7278
7th August 2008, 08:40 AM
definitely realtek 8169 cards - if you have a frys electronics they sell them as airlink+ (http://www.airlinkplus.com/networking/agiga32pci.htm), otherwise there's D-Link DGE-528T and i think belkin and netgear have 8169 models.

i find them better than my onboard intel pro 1000ct's, faster, less cpu usage and more reliable driver-wise.