PDA

View Full Version : Serial Port Inaccessible

phonecian
23rd July 2004, 10:20 PM
I can reproduce this problem on every fresh install of FC2.
I have to connect a modem for a dialup connection on ttyS0 as a second interface (e0 is setup during the install process).
I'm using gnome and its with Internet Configuration Wizard. The problem is not related to the modem (I've tried three different ones).

When using Internet Configuration Wizard the first time after a fresh install, the "Modem Connection" option lets me set the serial port to ttyS0 and I can dial out and all is well.
However, when I shut the modem down, the port configuration resets to "modem" and the modem becomes unreachable. Worse, it is now impossible to change this setting as I can't invoke the com port selection window any more. I cant even delete the now wrong and inactive modem. When I try, I get this "The Common Profile can not be deleted". Trying to create a new modem connection fails because it simply reproduces the configuration of the broken first one.

Has anyone else run into this? Anyone know how to fix it?
Cheers

ghenry
23rd July 2004, 11:21 PM
Have you tried kppp?

phonecian
24th July 2004, 04:46 AM
Great idea!
Thanks

blochbob
4th August 2004, 01:06 PM
Have you tried kppp?

I'm a newbie to Fedora & am having dialup modem install problems. What is 'KPPP' ?

Thanx.

crackers
5th August 2004, 02:55 AM
KPPP is the GUI front-end for KDE and dial-up modems. It's been a while since I used it (yes, I'm one of those disgusting folks with broadband), but the interface is very easy to understand but does require that you know a couple of things about how you connect to your ISP (like user logins, aka "authorization").

taylor65
5th August 2004, 03:13 AM
I've had to add access to the groups lock and uucp to be able to access /dev/ttyS0 on my systems - check that if you're not getting it to work.

budinpunye
1st April 2005, 02:37 AM
I've had to add access to the groups lock and uucp to be able to access /dev/ttyS0 on my systems - check that if you're not getting it to work.
Sorry, im newB. How can i do that?? chmod??