PDA

View Full Version : Bus Ports, Which Is Good, Which is Okay...?

KnightingGale
3rd August 2008, 06:36 PM
Looking at Bus ports, to connect to the modem, is an internal modem fax card good, to use with Fedora?

10/100 or 10/100/1000, might a P3 have a good one, since I have access to old hardware being thrown away?

How do I know? I want the best for myself.

tho.mei
3rd August 2008, 07:32 PM
Hallo KnightingGale

internal modem fax cardI guess you are talking about a analog modem. :eek: Many modems are so called winmodems. It means they work like a sound card and a software (mostly only for windowz available) creates the modulation. This winmodems mostly are not to use with Linux at all.
10/100 or 10/100/1000, might a P3 have a good one, Ahhh.... :confused: it's a really hard puzzle you wrote! ;)
I guess you are mean a ethernet interface. P3 means may Intel Pentium III
since I have access to old hardware being thrown away? Nice to know, but what's the question?
How do I know?What do you like to do?
I want the best for myself. :confused: It's true! Really! Everybody wants it! :)

Sorry, but you have really to tell us more, if we should help you. Just ask clear questions. It is not common in this forum - as it is in others - to write in short, because it often in long not easy to get out the problem. Sorry, I couldn't really help you so far. :(

w5set
3rd August 2008, 07:57 PM
If you are referring to a Pentium III computer...it most likely will have a 10/100 network card, if it has one at all.
Unless the computer has had an upgraded network wrapped around it...then the card "could" have been replaced with a more modern card i.e.....a 10/100/1000....if it's a on-board network card most chances are it's a 10/100 though.
But just think of it this way...even a 1.5M DSL connection is slower then the default speed of 10M coming from an "OLD" slow network card, and a dialup connection of 56K we won't even compare to. :)

Take the old stuff (PIII) home if it's being thrown away...they can do server work quite nicely. :)
And they surf and email quite nicely if equipped with 256 meg memory as a minimum...usually, and 512M is even better.
They, the P3's (PIII) will be waiting 98% + of the time for you to type stuff in or click for normal day to day usage.

KnightingGale
6th August 2008, 10:44 AM
Yes it is a Pentium 3.

It's Ethernet card is unusual, bigger, with a box on it and it says fax modem.

I have Cable. I suppose 10/100 is good. Better than the USB port?

markkuk
6th August 2008, 12:00 PM
It's Ethernet card is unusual, bigger, with a box on it and it says fax modem.

Ethernet card and Fax modem are two entirely different devices for different purposes. Which one are you really talking about here and what do you want to do with it?

KnightingGale
6th August 2008, 03:08 PM
I have one top salvage from an Pentium 3, at the bottom of the computer at the back, it appears to be a ethernet port, because of it's location and plug. Or maybe I am wrong and it is for the phone line, not cable. Yeh, it's for a phone line. Oh well.