PDA

View Full Version : mplayer, wmw-files and mozilla

inha
23rd July 2004, 08:25 AM
For some reason my mozilla thinks that wmw-files are text files and tries to open them as such. I have the mplayer plugin installed but I still can't play wmw-files in my browser. I think the plugin should have taken care of that. I tried getting around this by assigning mplayer as a helper application for wmw-files but I didn't get it to work that way either.

This should be a simply solvable problem but I can't figure out how to get around this. Could someone help me out?

seabass55
23rd July 2004, 11:16 AM
Did you install mplayer via rpm/yum or by source? I know previously I installed mplayer from source and had no problem playing wmv files but since installing it on my FC2 machine it won't play them anymore.

inha
23rd July 2004, 11:36 AM
with yum I think. it does play wmw-files most of the time, sometimes it claims that the files are actually asf and asks me to rename them. which usually doesn't help it.

anyways this seems like a mozilla issue to me. for some reason it associates wmw-files with text files.

Jman
23rd July 2004, 01:02 PM
Open Mozilla to about:plugins and see if the plugin is listed, and it has the appropriate MIME type registered.

sailor
23rd July 2004, 02:21 PM
my mplayer still wont play wma files...even though it is listed as a installed plugin in "about plugins"..it works with everything else though...do I need codecs or something else?

inha
23rd July 2004, 06:26 PM
Open Mozilla to about:plugins and see if the plugin is listed, and it has the appropriate MIME type registered.

it is and video/x-ms-wmv is the correct MIME type in my knowledge. mozilla still opens all wmw-files and a huge text file.