PDA

View Full Version : [F9 64] noatime for tmpfs | devpts | sysfs | proc

techmum
31st July 2008, 07:54 AM
I have been testing adding the noatime option to my Logical Volumes + swap in /etc/fstab and that seems to be working well with some system speed improvement.

However my /etc/fstab file also has other mount points such as >

/tmpfs

/devpts

/sysfs

/proc

Wondering if there is any point in adding the noatime option to those entries as well?

ta

Seve
31st July 2008, 08:19 AM
Hello:
Good question :)

I have no idea but I'd love to know the answer as well.

Seve

Mariano Suárez-
31st July 2008, 09:44 AM
Those mount points are really do not point to your hardisks but to memory and/or interfaces that the kernel exposes. The best plan would be to leave them alone ;)

oneofmany
31st July 2008, 09:48 AM
i concur with mariano

techmum
31st July 2008, 02:23 PM
Those mount points are really do not point to your hardisks but to memory and/or interfaces that the kernel exposes. The best plan would be to leave them alone ;)

Ta. That's what I suspected from their names.

Thanks for the clarification.

A.Serbinski
31st July 2008, 03:10 PM
Well technically, assuming that the filesystem types support the recording of access time (tmpfs does, the rest I don't know), then even if they are in memory, then there will be a performance improvement from adding noatime to them. HOWEVER, being that they're in memory, the performance improvement is SO MARGINAL that you would never be able to measure it. As such, there's no point is messing with it.

brebs
31st July 2008, 03:36 PM
The access time isn't being updated anyway, so noatime would have no effect. Check it:

cat /proc/mtrr
ls -ltu /proc/mtrr
Shows the bootup time, rather than now.