PDA

View Full Version : nm-applet icon gone after update

jsandys
30th July 2008, 09:27 PM
After the latest update of Fedora 8 with NetworkManager and NetworkManager-gnome version 1:0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8 the nm-applet does not appear in the notification area in Gnome or Xfce. I have searched the forums for similar problems but none of the solutions apply.

In Xfce nm-applet --sm-disable is running and if I am really lucky I can get the network panel to open by clicking in the blank notification area. In Gnome nm-applet is not running though the computer will establish a connection with the regular server. I can start the nm-applet from a terminal and the icon appears in the Gnome notification area. No amount of stopping and starting nm-applet in Xfce will make the icon appear.

Since I use Xfce in strange places I would like the icon to appear so I can select which wireless network to use. And I also use Gnome, so I would like nm-applet to start like it used to. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys

PabloTwo
31st July 2008, 03:16 AM
I run a new install of F8/XFCE and had the NM icon disappear from the notification area. In my case, it was not due to any updates, but simple operator error, forgetting that I had turned NM off in services. and like in your case, the nm-applet was running. I don't know how NM and NM-Gnome meld together, but while your in XFCE, in a root terminal, type: service NetworkManager status to check whether it is running or not.

If it is not, service NetworkManager start followed by chkconfig --level 2345 NetworkManager on

venumus
31st July 2008, 05:43 PM
similar problem cause NM controlls my wifi and i cant connect to my wireless with it

jsandys
31st July 2008, 07:22 PM
PabloTwo,

NetworkManager is running. The computer connects to the wireless home network in Xfce and Gnome. The network icon (the bars ect) does not appear in the notification area. The icon used to be there until the update.

Thanks, Jeff

venumus
31st July 2008, 07:27 PM
my problem is i delted it and reinstalled it. any ideas?

jsandys
12th August 2008, 12:39 AM
NetworkManager is running. The computer connects to the wireless home network in Xfce and Gnome. The network icon (the bars ect) does not appear in the notification area. The icon used to be there until the update.
Thanks, Jeff
Update,
It appears that in Xfce the network icon is a 1x1 pixel, if I can get my cursor on it I can open the network panel.
In Gnome it works OK once I start it, it doesn't start by itself.
Any clues how I can restore the old, proper, behavior?
Thanks,
Jeff

gibwrath
14th September 2008, 01:51 AM
Hey

Slightly different method, similar outcome - I accidentally removed nm-applet from the system tray in FC9 and now I can't for the life of me get it back up there. I know it's still running, but the icon is gone.

Any ideas what might be happening?
Cheers
Gib

hceylan
14th September 2008, 10:42 AM
Is Network manager listed and checked in System->Preferences->Personal->Sessions.

If missing you need to add a record with "nm-applet --sm-disable" in the command line.

gibwrath
14th September 2008, 01:13 PM
Hi hceylan thanks for the response =]

yeah, it is listed and checked both in startup program and current session tabs. if i remove it, reboot, and then put it back in again, and reboot there is still no icon even though in system-config-manager it says it is enabled and running at all levels. then i tried sudo killall NetworkManager and then sudo NetworkManager, but still nothing!

It's the most annoying accidental click I have ever made!

hceylan
14th September 2008, 07:45 PM
start a terminal and check if nm-applet is running?

ps -ef | grep nm-applet

if not running it might be dieing for a weird reason.

(Even if it is running kill it) then in terminal run nm-applet.

Try to spot something in the debug messages...

bhupesh
19th September 2008, 06:50 AM
I was getting same problem. I have posted solution here.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=199591&highlight=nm-applet

gibwrath
25th September 2008, 10:58 PM
Hey
Sorry for going quiet. In the end I just reinstalled Fedora. Please don't judge me! I'm weak!
But thanks for the help and suggestions from hceylan and bhupesh, that was good of you to try.
All the best
Gib

jsandys
28th September 2008, 07:22 PM
Update,
It appears that in Xfce the network icon is a 1x1 pixel, if I can get my cursor on it I can open the network panel.
In Gnome it works OK once I start it, it doesn't start by itself.

I'm not sure if the recent update to Network-Manager (svn4022) fixed the problem or if it was just a problem with putting the menu bar on the side. Because I have a wide screen laptop I put the panel on the left side in Xfce, but with Gnome I put left the menu panel at the top. After the Network-Manager update the nm-applet was still a dot in Xfce, but switching the panel to the top fixed the icon, and after returning the panel to the left side the nm-applet icon remained.
-- Jeff