PDA

View Full Version : why is this problem (screen shot added)

arshad3m
30th July 2008, 08:25 PM
hai friends,
please help me.
i just want to remove certain media application which i cannot play anything in.
but i get this message.

http://i35.tinypic.com/29o07mg.png

thanks

arshad3m
30th July 2008, 09:03 PM
please help me to solve this problem. i cant add new things to the system unless i solve this.
thanks

oneofmany
30th July 2008, 09:08 PM
have you tried, from a terminal, as root, with the software manager closed..

yum clean metadata
yum clean all

im not sure if that will fix it but it should allow the repositories to be refreshed

arshad3m
30th July 2008, 09:26 PM
thank you very much.
but if you dont mind. how do you know to solve almost everyproblem in linux?
why dont you have a AIM ID?

thanks.

oneofmany
30th July 2008, 09:29 PM
sorry, i dont use aim these days and i also prefer to keep my messenger details for friends and family.

i've been installing, configuring, maintaining and supporting various flavours of unix and linux for about 10 years now so i know a little bit but i certainly wouldn't consider myself anywhere near as clued up as some here :)

forkbomb
30th July 2008, 09:40 PM
thank you very much.
but if you dont mind. how do you know to solve almost everyproblem in linux?
why dont you have a AIM ID?

thanks.
I personally learned the hard way that sharing one's IM screennames on support forums is a sure way to get you nasty, bothersome, rude, pushy messages asking you to go out of your way to solve other peoples' problems.

Most people expect that that's what would happen if they shared their IM screennames. And their suspicions would be mostly correct.

The last straw was the time some guy from Egypt literally threatened my life when I refused to answer questions to the rude messages he left me at 3:00 in the morning.

forkbomb
30th July 2008, 09:44 PM
yum clean metadata
yum clean all

I'm confused. Any reason for the redundancy?

I was of the impression that "yum clean all" includes a flush of the metadata. Maybe I'm mistaken.

oneofmany
30th July 2008, 09:46 PM
i remember having done it on fc4 because the clean all didn't work properly and never established why so i've always done it that way since.