PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 9 - Problem with pen drive and capital letter file names

wuemura
30th July 2008, 04:47 PM
Hello guys!

My computer is Fedora 9 64Bit (linux 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64) ext3, Gnome.

I have this 2.0 Gb pen drive from Faber Castell formatted with FAT16 that I use to store PS2 ELF files, move ELF's from pen drive to memory card and so on. If i copy a file named with capital letter like BOOT.ELF to the pen drive, unmount and mont again, soon after, Nautilus change the name to boot.elf. If i try to rename it back to BOOT.ELF, Nautilus say that the file already exist, renaming the file at the terminal doesn't help either.

The only way i can have capital letter files on my pen drive is to copy the files, quick unmount the drive and remove it, some times I'm not fast enough. Or use windows inside vmware environment.

Thanks!

SlowJet
30th July 2008, 08:23 PM
The case is only retained on the fat32 but does not use the case for being accessed.
Looks like Nautilus has the case insensitive name displayed if the file is referenced a second time.
(This would occur from a buffer or how it was opened, etc..)

SJ

wuemura
31st July 2008, 12:01 AM
So, this is a bug or feature?

Seve
31st July 2008, 01:43 AM
Hello guys!

My computer is Fedora 9 64Bit (linux 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64) ext3, Gnome.

I have this 2.0 Gb pen drive from Faber Castell formatted with FAT16 that I use to store PS2 ELF files, move ELF's from pen drive to memory card and so on. If i copy a file named with capital letter like BOOT.ELF to the pen drive, unmount and mont again, soon after, Nautilus change the name to boot.elf. If i try to rename it back to BOOT.ELF, Nautilus say that the file already exist, renaming the file at the terminal doesn't help either.

The only way i can have capital letter files on my pen drive is to copy the files, quick unmount the drive and remove it, some times I'm not fast enough. Or use windows inside vmware environment.

Thanks!
Hello:
Unmount and disconnect your vfat drive.

Use gconf-editor
If you do not have it installed, then type and enter
yum install gconf-editory

Then launch it from a terminal as a normal user
gconf-editor
/system
/storage
/default_options
/vfat

Right click on the mount_options and select Edit Key
and change
shortname=xxxxxx
to
shortname=mixed

click Ok
and you should be good to go.

Seve

wuemura
31st July 2008, 03:20 AM
Hello Seve!!!
I'm glad you join in!
Welcome!!

This works like a charm, no need to rush anymore!!

Thank you very much!
God Bless you man!!

giuliopepe
16th August 2009, 03:36 PM
Hi, I have exactly the same kind of problem with my 16GB vfat Sandisk pendrive and F11.

I have a folder named in capital letters on my pc synchronized with my pendrive using rsync.
After a synchronization, the folder on the pendrive is not in capital letters and rsync will delete and copy it again.

If I try to rename it manually I've got the same problem as wuemura.

I tried the suggestion posted by Seve, but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem.