PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Programming

richm8027
30th July 2008, 09:30 AM
I am new to Fedora, but I love it, last time I tried it I didn't like it, can't remember why, but it seems to be good this time. I was curious, what can I use to write my own Fedora Programs, is there any type of Fedora Programming tools??? Or even Fedora Kernel Programming tools? I was trying to learn OpenGL, but that stuff is very complicated and costs a lot of time doing all the lines of code just to create a window, I was doing some OpenGL on nehe.something.com, and found it too be time costly and hard to understand, I would like something easier such as FLTK, or anything that could be easier than that, any ideas??? I'm not really aiming towards Kernel Programming, I have no clue what I'm doing in that department, but, it would be cool to write my own desktop widgets or enhancements, or even my own screen saver programs, or even an animated desktop background.

MSK61
30th July 2008, 10:23 AM
If you'd like to do some high-level desktop programming, you don't have to learn kernel programming at all. They're simply not related at all. However if you want to learn kernel development, an excellent start point can be found at this link: http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/HOWTO
BTW I guess your post should be on the programming forum.

oneofmany
30th July 2008, 12:15 PM
fedora isn't a distinct operating system in its own right so there isn't a specific fedora programming language or api that you need to learn.

if you want to develop visual applications that work in the kde/gnome/other graphic desktop environments you will most likely find high level programming langauges with itegrated development environments (ide) already packaged and ready to install. These would include environments for tcl, freepascal and a whole host of other langauges.

as for developing console (command prompt) style programs.. many of the IDEs can do that too, or you could just use basic gcc compiler or any other language you chose to ue but you would need to make sure you've installed the relevant development packages first :)

richm8027
30th July 2008, 12:42 PM
I had to go back to Ubuntu, I know why I didn't like it in the past, it didn't have half the packates I wanted