PDA

View Full Version : Downgrading X server

nico80
30th July 2008, 09:01 AM
Hi everyone.

I just installed F9 and I wanted to install the fglrx drivers for my Mobility Radeon X1600.
I saw the guide on this forum and I see that you have to downgrade the X server.

Now, as I don't want to start messing around too much with configurations (as everything seems to be running smoothly so far...) I have 2 questions:

1) what does that mean in terms of functionality? I mean, if I downgrade the X server will I see any noticeable difference?
2) I saw that the livna-testing repo has the kmod-fglrx packages on it. Can't I just install those?

thanks
nico

Hlingler
30th July 2008, 10:37 AM
(1) In terms of functionality: if you do not downgrade the X11 Window System, you will not get 3D rendering with the current ATI 'fglrx' driver. In fact, you may not get a functional GUI at all. You probably would never notice (on the surface) any functional difference per se between the two different X11 versions otherwise.
(2) You can install them... but they still won't give you 3D/DRI rendering with F9's X11 in place: they cannot give you what is not possible at this time. You may (or may not) get a functional GUI.

I don't know off-hand if your chipset is supported by the 3D/DRI open-source drivers that come with Fedora, but if you have a functional GUI, you are probably better off keeping it, especially if 3D/DRI is working, than goofing with the 'fglrx' driver and stuff.

V

nico80
30th July 2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the reply Hlingler.

Unfortunately 3D/DRI is not working with the shipped drivers, that's why I wanted to use fglrx.
I'll downgrade X server and hope everything runs smoothly then.... :)