PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 9 and many problems

shakeel
30th July 2008, 08:10 AM
Hello there, i am a 4th year university student studying software engineering (computer science) and i am very frustrated at fedora 9.

I have been using Linux for many years to create my C apps.

Anyway I have a list of problems, I'm aware some may be trivial but I'm far too annoyed to click around and waste time.

Firstly,

1. Whenever i log into my account, i have to keep re-enabling the network controller and reassigning the DNS that it keeps forgetting!

2. I have made my account apart of the following groups "root" and "adm", i then log out of root and log into my regular account and i am able to see my windows NTFS partitions, BUT as soon as i restart or log in again, the NTFS drives are gone!!

3. I can't edit some firewall settings, fedora doesn't like it and it decides to lock up.

4. Mozilla doesn't remember my settings and keeps going into off-line mode and i have to resize the page every time I relog.

There's a couple more things but if someone could help me with these, I'll be grateful.

Thanks.

scotty38
30th July 2008, 08:26 AM
What happens if you run network instead of NetworkManager, does that help with any of your problems?
I realise you've been using Linux for many years but just in case:
chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig network on

Edit:

Oh by the way there are many, many users that don't have these problems (myself included) so it may not necessarily be Fedora at fault. I appreciate lots of users do have problems and for a lot of people Fedora is not the right distribution if you're after something not quite so cutting edge....

Mariano Suárez-
30th July 2008, 08:54 AM
In other words... the thread should be titled "me and my problems with fedora".

MSK61
30th July 2008, 10:17 AM
I'll skim over your points quickly hoping that may help you or guide you at least to the first footsteps:
scotty38's hints are very good to start with. If you still encounter problems after trying to follow them, post back your pending problems.
NTFS(and generally any filesystem) partitions don't get mounted automatically on boot unless they're listed in the /etc/fstab file with the auto option in the fourth column. Check that you've your partitions and corresponding mount points listed in your /etc/fstab file. BTW you don't have to be a member of the root group(or any other specific group) to have these partitions mounted if they're listed in the /etc/fstab file as the automatic mounting during startup happen with the privileges of a user account that's capable of mounting(; I don't know what user account exactly).
I don't understand what you mean with

and it decides to lock up
Do you mean it crahses upon applying these changes or what?
You must update your system-config-firewall as the one shipping with the installation DVD had some problems. system-config-firewall also isn't capable of adding all types of custom rules, and this's listed in the warning message that appears upon running the tool. You should use the tool only if you want some basic firewall configuration.
Frankly, I don't know about that mozilla issue.

Dan
30th July 2008, 11:55 AM
Morning, guys.

Whereas, at first blush, this looks like a typical trolling type post, upon a closer read, it surely is not. Shakeel has asked for help here on specific issues, and that makes all the difference.

Dan

forkbomb
30th July 2008, 01:29 PM
1. Whenever i log into my account, i have to keep re-enabling the network controller and reassigning the DNS that it keeps forgetting!

NetworkManager is likely doing this. See the other hints that those guys offered. The problem is that NM can be quirky about properly remembering settings - and one of the things it does is overwrite the /etc/resolv.conf (the file where nameservers the machine should use are defined) on boot time or whenever starting/restarting an interface with its own (possibly dysfunctional) crap.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap9sec91.html
(Note that the search line isn't strictly necessary. You can just put the lines with your nameservers.)

Once you disable NM, make sure you enable Network. Go into the network configuration tool and make sure your interface is set to NOT use NM and to start on boot. You may also want to change the setting to allow normal users to control the interface.

As for the NTFS, the other guys answered that - put them in your FSTAB.

As for the "Mozilla" issue - assuming you mean Firefox - I've seen this happen in Fedora, too. Not the resizing part, but the problem of launching in offline mode. Doesn't bother me much because it doesn't take much to put FF back in online mode. If possible, try deleting your .mozilla directory in your home directory (/home/username/.mozilla) and starting with a fresh config (note that this will clear all FF settings including plugins and bookmarks).

JN4OldSchool
30th July 2008, 01:52 PM
Something to think about Shakeel; the title of this thread will certainly get a lot of views, but you were lucky you havent been flamed for it without the flamer actually reading the post itself. Hopefully people will heed Dan's warning. In this forum you will receive more help by being calm and friendly like you were in your post's body.

Not really any kind of solution, but I wonder if your problems werent caused by you setting things up while logged in as root?

Dan
30th July 2008, 02:04 PM
Good point, JN4. Title changed accordingly.

wraithe
30th July 2008, 02:18 PM
Not really any kind of solution, but I wonder if your problems werent caused by you setting things up while logged in as root?

Just to add to this...
Setting your user account with root permissions is dangerous and usually used by inexperienced users...
Even the most experienced users prefer to maintain root permissions to stay with root account only...
This is a very dangerous scenario played out daily with dangerous results...

Your networking issues could be what was suggested above...

If youve used other distros of linux, beware, the layout of fedora is different to debian based distro's but pretty much works the same...
Permissions in all, should be utilised the same, protect "root"...
:)

Bic121
30th July 2008, 02:20 PM
I had the same problem with NFS on FC9, so I put on FC8 and it worked fine.

Also, I tried to install FC9 on one of my personal computer's, and it would freeze every time the X-server started, again FC8 works fine.

FC9 sucks!

condor2810
30th July 2008, 02:23 PM
Hi All since Shakeel didn't give a feedback wether your tips solved his problems or not i will add a note about the Network Manager problem i had the same problem and here's how i fixed it

First you have to disable NetworkManager and prevent it from loading at each boot.

su -c '/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop'
su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager off'
Next go to System -> Administration -> Network and configure your network settings. You can also start the Network configuration utility by typing

su -c 'system-config-network'
Here you can either select Static IP or DHCP. You can also set your DNS servers. When you finish select File -> Save and then Quit.

Finally start network service and enable it on each boot.

su -c '/etc/init.d/network start'
su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 network on'

and it then worked like a charm to me , considering the firefox problem i was having many annoying problems in firefox 3 beta but they all disappeared when i upgraded to the full version u may give it a try if u r using beta version . Come back and give us a feedback so others would learn .

JN4OldSchool
30th July 2008, 02:24 PM

Also, I tried to install FC9 on one of my personal computer's, and it would freeze every time the X-server started, again FC8 works fine.

FC9 sucks!

I have said this more than once! First thing, the F9 ISO is badly broke, you need to update it to today's standards before doing anything else. It has been stabilized, but it certainly still has its problems. No flame for you, you are just stating the obvious. :)

As a side note, I am running F9 on 4 computers now and they are good, stable installs. But it hasnt been pretty getting them there, that's for sure...

Wayne
30th July 2008, 02:37 PM

FC9 sucks!

Umm, that's pretty strong language for something that cost you absolutely nothing. F9 is not perfect by any means and needs a few bugs taken care of but to say it sucks is going too far. If it doesn't work for you there are dozens of other distros that might satisfy you.

Wayne

Bic121
30th July 2008, 02:44 PM
Lighten up Wayne, my point is the older versions seem to be more stable.

scotty38
30th July 2008, 02:47 PM
FC9 sucks!

Personally I'm not convinced!

I'm new to this Linux malarkey and other than a few quirks here and there my F9 installs, 32 and 64 bit versions, seem to work just fine for me. When things do play up it doesn't take much searching round to either fix it or understand what's broken.

So yes it may be a bit quirky, and may not be as stable as previous versions but it's not that bad

Wayne
30th July 2008, 02:57 PM
Lighten up Wayne, my point is the older versions seem to be more stable.

No, it's you who should lighten up. If you have found bugs in F9 then report them. Just saying it sucks does not help the developers fix bugs. Also note that the Fedora developers do not monitor this forum, and who can blame them with some of the comments here. As you're new here, I'll post a link to the forum guidelines, which I hope you'll read before posting again:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=guide

Wayne

oneofmany
30th July 2008, 03:06 PM

FC9 sucks!

Sucks is a bit extreme. its the latest release so there are bound to be some problems to start with, just as there were with the other releases which have subsequently been bug fixed and stabilized.

Fedora Core has always been a technology tester platform and as such may be a little less stable than some other distros but an problem i've ever encountered has always been resolved without too much hassle thanks to the wonderful community around which fedora is developed :)

bob
30th July 2008, 03:12 PM
There's a respin available with the 7/18 updates: http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/ I wonder if the ISO problem's fixed there? Anyone try it?

JN4OldSchool
30th July 2008, 03:16 PM
There's a respin available with the 7/18 updates: http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/ I wonder if the ISO problem's fixed there? Anyone try it?

I've never tried a respin as I never took the time to figure jigdo out. I keep telling myself that I need to play with that one day.

wraithe
30th July 2008, 04:14 PM
I am not new to linux by any means...
I was playing around with the laptop a few days ago nand thought, hell why not, so I downloaded a live F9 iso and booted it, couldnt believe the response fromt he laptop, normally have to configure some of the basics...
Last distro from red Hat that i installed completely, was RH5(no not rhel) I am talking 1990's ...
I have tried out the fedora distros, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8...but not gone mad with them...
Fedora 9 is sweet, nice and stable(shock for me) and easy to find things, not over the top with bull added(but then it was only a cd iso) and setup straight off...adding some codecs for other things and playing with settings wasnt hard, but then I did know where to find them...
Only thing i am missing is what was standard in the debian based distro's and thats autologin, but its easy to setup anyway, just havent bothered yet(I dont expect that RH have made that impossible, but I shall see)...
Compiz was easy, and only problem i have had, was not a fedora issue but a server i was logging to...

Good distro, just get a late live iso and try it out first, dont throw all your eggs in and then whinge, if you dont try it first, its your silly fault...

PS sorry about the typo's, i suffer from the "C-nile" virus...lol :D

Dancingbear909
30th July 2008, 04:43 PM
I totally agree with "Scotty38", I'm running i386 and x86_64 and, I would have too say, both versions are more solid then any of Microsoft OS. I will never go back too Microsoft. I'm completely hook on Fedora.

jhally
30th July 2008, 05:43 PM
I'm rolling back to FC8. With FC9 I've seen all kinds of strange things across multiple installs. turning on services and those services not starting at boot, the network issues that have been discussed above and a host of other annoyances that just dont make me feel warm and fuzzy enough to keep running it.

If anyone has a definitive answer then I'd love to hear it. At first glance I thought maybe it was selinux and set that to permissive, and then disabled without any change in behavior.

tushargokhale
30th July 2008, 05:52 PM
Install Ubuntu most of your network problems will be resolved. Fedora is good but its for bit advance users.

jhally
30th July 2008, 06:00 PM
the issue isn't that its too advanced, the issue I have is at this point, getting a box up and functional shouldn't have these quirks. Definitely not something that is in its 9th iteration. If you have to disable network manager to have the system boot with the correct interface information, then what use is NM in the first place? I'm sure there's good reason for it, but I need to get services up and available..

also I would expect that 'chkconfig "service" on' to work, and in at least 2 fresh installs and subsequent yum updates, I have the same problem.

I am a BIG FC fan, but annoying issues are just that, annoying.

fnshman
30th July 2008, 06:14 PM
Nobody seems to have mentioned Firefox and/or a fix.
It was a bug in Firefox that was taken care of in version 3.0.1, which also took care of some dep issues.
Other "F9 issues" are actually Gnome issues. Gnome was changed drastically, and not for the better.
As for F9 over all----fully updated now----it works great. I think they just released it a tiny bit early, but isn't that what the community is for.

JN4OldSchool
30th July 2008, 06:15 PM
the issue isn't that its too advanced, the issue I have is at this point, getting a box up and functional shouldn't have these quirks. Definitely not something that is in its 9th iteration. If you have to disable network manager to have the system boot with the correct interface information, then what use is NM in the first place? I'm sure there's good reason for it, but I need to get services up and available..

also I would expect that 'chkconfig "service" on' to work, and in at least 2 fresh installs and subsequent yum updates, I have the same problem.

I am a BIG FC fan, but annoying issues are just that, annoying.

But what happens when the majority of users do not have these issues?

Part of me agrees with what you say and part wants to argue with you.

First off, just because Fedora is in its 9th or 90th version does not mean anything for this distro. I suggest you take a look at the mission statement and philosophy behind Fedora before you start criticizing here. Fedora was never meant to be enterprise stable to begin with.

Second, I have not had these network manager issues in 4 installs on differing hardware. I am running Atheros and Belkin wireless and have had issues, but the kernel was at fault. We expect this, this is just par for the course with Fedora.

So maybe the issues described here are user problems? I keep going back to a permissions thing myself, but this is hard to diagnose when we dont know what all the user has done.

F9 is not up to the caliber F8 and I would say all previous versions back to FC4 were. There are several major changes and things that are being done differently. I am happy Fedora has the philosophy of charging into this stuff, even though this version has tried my patience also. I wouldnt change a thing, if you want stable go somewhere else. Ubuntu is certainly a good choice. I will be sticking around here, everything works fine for me, though I am not filled with confidence when I update the kernel...

M4rc0
30th July 2008, 07:26 PM
I have the same #1 and #4 "problems".

I disabled NetworkManager and enabled networking on boot with system-config-services, but it's not cool.
I like a fast boot, and when it stucks there saying "Getting IP information for eth0.." for ~5 seconds it makes me sad.

The #4 "problem" seems to be related with this. You will get offline mode on firefox by standard if you have no internet connection. It stopped here after i enabled networking.

(but i want my faster boot back...)

Dan
30th July 2008, 08:59 PM
Sheesh, Marco!

~5 seconds?! You've got to be kidding! That's less than two breaths for a normal human being.

<..:p..>

M4rc0
30th July 2008, 09:53 PM
Sheesh, Marco!

~5 seconds?! You've got to be kidding! That's less than two breaths for a normal human being.

<..:p..>

I'm not normal :cool:

(and i STILL want a fast boot.. :p )

forkbomb
30th July 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm not normal :cool:

(and i STILL want a fast boot.. :p )
Reminds me of this guy at my school who was bragging about how his main workstation had his operating system residing on two WD Raptors in a RAID0.

I told him I'd rather save $150 (plus cost for the juice) and some configuration wrangling time (he told the story of trying to get Windows to install on the array - which makes me guess it wasn't real RAID) and wait an extra 5 seconds on my boot.

Besides, as for your 5 seconds, it's Linux. No need for reboots anyway. :)

shakeel
31st July 2008, 02:53 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, and in regards to the thread name. I myself have played WoW for 2 years and have been on the internet from a very little age. So i guess anyone on these forums would be able to muster up such a thread!

I have since stopped playing such games, sorry for the late reply.
I'm trying to use some of these solutions now.

Cheers

bob
31st July 2008, 02:55 AM
And good luck with the fixes. If you still have problems, don't hesitate to post back.

shakeel
1st August 2008, 03:10 AM
Hi All since Shakeel didn't give a feedback wether your tips solved his problems or not i will add a note about the Network Manager problem i had the same problem and here's how i fixed it

First you have to disable NetworkManager and prevent it from loading at each boot.

su -c '/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop'
su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager off'
Next go to System -> Administration -> Network and configure your network settings. You can also start the Network configuration utility by typing

su -c 'system-config-network'
Here you can either select Static IP or DHCP. You can also set your DNS servers. When you finish select File -> Save and then Quit.

Finally start network service and enable it on each boot.

su -c '/etc/init.d/network start'
su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 network on'

and it then worked like a charm to me , considering the firefox problem i was having many annoying problems in firefox 3 beta but they all disappeared when i upgraded to the full version u may give it a try if u r using beta version . Come back and give us a feedback so others would learn .

This worked like a charm, thank you very much,

shakeel
1st August 2008, 11:08 AM
Everything seems to be fixed, EXCEPT
for firefox.

I have updated Fedora 9 and also installed firefox 3.0.1 (non beta)
whenever i close firefox and start again, it's into offline mode agian?

any suggestions?

wt6g
2nd August 2008, 03:16 PM
Face it guys, we've been spoiled by FC6, FC7, FC8.

FC9 was too much too fast in terms of upgrades and changes. I'm pretty experienced with Fedora, and I have a system that is pretty hardware generic dedicated specifically to testing releases. The only distribution that has not installed correctly out of the box in recent memory was FC9 (out of at least 12 I play with, not including Fedora)

On the plus side I got it to work, but there is no possible way anyone but an experienced Fedora user could do this. It started with Fedora picking the wrong video resolution and putting the buttons where I couldn't get them. Continued with an inability to access DNS, and then with a problem updating (not related to DNS).

I've heard GREAT things about FC9, once it's installed, but I would never recommend the current spin for a new linux user. They'll go back to Windows!

Unfortunately there are millions of FC9 disks out there. This is not a good thing, and marketing should try to get the problems integrated into a new spin and distribute it as quickly as possible as FC9.1 .

The issue isn't IF we can get stuff to work, because we (the community) can make anything work, but how much contact and experience a newbie has with us when they first open the door to real computing fun. Along those lines, I think Fedora should have a generic spin that is built on a stable release (ie FC8). It could be called Fedora Stable or Fedora New User. This is old hat for software guys, but from a marketing perspective its an essential component of converting people to Fedora. Its in our best interest to make sure every newbie has a great initial experience.

If we had a "Stable" branch then newbies could follow the development/leading edge group by enough time that the kinks out of each version.

/Len
WT6G

LDC
2nd August 2008, 04:41 PM
the issue isn't that its too advanced, the issue I have is at this point, getting a box up and functional shouldn't have these quirks.
this is like asking for a coffee that tastes like *cola.
Read the fedora mission, then notice that being the 9th incarnation means absolutely nothing since each version is drastically different from each othter.

Finally I will repeat myself once again: no version before the ninth was so stable (for me), not a single crash -before or after updates- from the day after the "domination" (yes, it required some days to bend it to my will, but it was worth the effort).
I have no "mainstream" hardware, so this is even more valuable;
So, to me, Fedora9 is the best one of the series.

forkbomb
2nd August 2008, 04:51 PM
I've heard GREAT things about FC9, once it's installed, but I would never recommend the current spin for a new linux user. They'll go back to Windows!

Unfortunately there are millions of FC9 disks out there. This is not a good thing, and marketing should try to get the problems integrated into a new spin and distribute it as quickly as possible as FC9.1...

...It could be called Fedora Stable or Fedora New User. This is old hat for software guys, but from a marketing perspective its an essential component of converting people to Fedora....

And if pigs could fly...

Make no mistake about it - I don't think the Fedora Project devs are particularly concerned about scaring off a few of the new users who decide to not google around before taking the plunge.

The thing about different trunks is that I just don't think it's happening with Fedora. Debian uses trunks - and the entire Debian project is built about maintaining the trunks, not around maintaining the "last two stable releases." The Fedora Project is simply not going to be rebuilt to pander to newbies who don't do their reading before picking a distribution. (I know that sounds harsh.)

A stable trunk would be out of character for Fedora. If you want stability, the oldest supported version is usually quite good (F8 at the moment). If you want hand-holding, you want Ubuntu.

What is needed is not a "newbie trunk" but - to say it again - a prominent link to a plain-English, honest (not salesman-like, not evangelistic) FAQ for new users to help them find if Fedora is right for them.

Now, I'm not a traditionalist, but the Fedora Project simply was not created to make "newbie friendly" software. Like it, love it, hate it, or leave it, that's the way it is.

JN4OldSchool
2nd August 2008, 04:56 PM
And if pigs could fly...

Make no mistake about it - I don't think the Fedora Project devs are particularly concerned about scaring off a few of the new users who decide to not google around before taking the plunge.

The thing about different trunks is that I just don't think it's happening with Fedora. Debian uses trunks - and the entire Debian project is built about maintaining the trunks, not around maintaining the "last two stable releases." The Fedora Project is simply not going to be rebuilt to pander to newbies who don't do their reading before picking a distribution. (I know that sounds harsh.)

A stable trunk would be out of character for Fedora. If you want stability, the oldest supported version is usually quite good (F8 at the moment). If you want hand-holding, you want Ubuntu.

What is needed is not a "newbie trunk" but - to say it again - a prominent link to a plain-English, honest (not salesman-like) FAQ for new users to help them find if Fedora is right for them.

Now, I'm not a traditionalist, but the Fedora Project simply was not created to make "newbie friendly" software. Like it, love it, hate it, or leave it, that's the way it is.

As much as I think a debian like stable trunk is needed all I really have to say to this post is:

yep...

forkbomb
2nd August 2008, 05:29 PM
As much as I think a debian like stable trunk is needed all I really have to say to this post is:

yep...
Well, it depends one what you mean by "needed." I don't expect something like that out of Fedora. That said, if there was a Debian Etch-sytle stable trunk of Fedora with rolling release, I think that would be the perfect distro.

JN4OldSchool
2nd August 2008, 05:43 PM
Well, it depends one what you mean by "needed." I don't expect something like that out of Fedora. That said, if there was a Debian Etch-sytle stable trunk of Fedora with rolling release, I think that would be the perfect distro.

uh huh! I dont expect it either. But the way things are going they keep screwing up MY fedora! It would be nice to have a no EOL, constantly rolling version of Fedora that was, say, where F8 is now, that would be used for mission critical, server, noob environments. Maybe more cutting edge than etch, but not so durn sharp as F9! Then, they could quit dumbing down the main Fedora release. Leave us as the testing branch, the experimental stuff.

Rupert Pupkin posted a comment the other day (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1055949&postcount=30 last paragraph) that I keep thinking about. I dont like the way Fedora is going either and I am really starting to think about something more modular and basic without crap like policychit and packagespit and not so many services running by default, and not so much bloat. Gentoo would be perfect if it werent for the compiling everything. Maybe I need to look at Slack again. I dont know...I am riding F9 for now, and I am not unhappy with it at this point. But I really dont like the direction it is heading. I hope it changes.

M4rc0
2nd August 2008, 06:12 PM
That's an excelent post that JN4OldSchool linked.

Of course it's easy to turn off all the unneeded services, install a lighter/faster DE or window manager, turn off some of the checks in the init scripts, and fine-tune the kernel to just what you need. And I do all of that whenever I install a new system, since I want my system to be quick and responsive. With Window Maker my desktop is lightning quick (and not using gdm or kdm helps; use wdm or xdm instead), and after turning off services I don't use, my boot time is around 30 seconds.

I changed wm (e17 <3) turned off tons of services (still want those 5 secs back..) and i want more. I enjoy customizing.

And now that i read that, I want to turn off some checks in init scrips and fine-tune the kernel, but i have no idea how =D

Anyway, back to the topic. I'm not an advanced linux user and i'm here. I don't think Fedora9 is that sharp as you guys might say.

I think the path Fedora is taking is because today Linux is getting different. We are finally facing windows and embracing more users (ubuntu helped this).

For example, I read once that Slakware added a auto-mount feature on a new version and everybody complained because you should mount it yourself, the Slak-way.
So i believe Fedora is not the only distro taking this wide market path.
More people are coming to linux.

You mentioned Gentoo, I'll mention Arch. I'm getting interested in Arch Linux lately.

But i'll still be with Fedora for a good time.

kalki70
3rd September 2008, 07:33 AM
Sucks is a bit extreme. its the latest release so there are bound to be some problems to start with, just as there were with the other releases which have subsequently been bug fixed and stabilized.

Fedora Core has always been a technology tester platform and as such may be a little less stable than some other distros but an problem i've ever encountered has always been resolved without too much hassle thanks to the wonderful community around which fedora is developed :)

Hi, Fedora 9 makes me remember the transition from Fedora Core 6 (Which worked great) to Fedora 7, which had so many problems that made me regret upgrading.
With Fedora 8 I was happy again, everything worked, but now with Fedora 9 I made the mistake of installing it at home : A lot of broken functionalities.
I'm not such a newbie with linux. Actually, my work for the last 12 years have been developing software with C/C++ for Unix/Linux. Since some few years only for Linux.

For instance, in my Fedora 9 AMSN doesn't work anymore. If I try to run it, I get an error like : "Loading TKCximage failed. This module is needed to run AMSN. Please compile AMSN first. Instructions on how to compile are located in file INSTALL".
Come on!! I could download the source for AMSN and compile it, but why should I? AMSN worked wonderful in Fedora 8, I'm supposed to just install it with the package manager (or yum) and it should run. I DON'T WANT TO COMPILE IT.
With Fedora 8 I could setup the X server so easily, so I can listen to remote connections from the network. With fedora 9 I don't even have the Login manager anymore in the administration tools.
A new version of Fedora should be better or with more features than a previous one, not less or worse.
At my work I still use only fedora 8, I don't even need a dual boot, and I didn't dare to change to Fedora 9, so I'm happy now. My home Fedora 9 is useless now, so I'm back to using Windows (basically for games and browsing) until Fedora 9 works properly or there is a fedora 10. Notice I'm writing this from Fedora 9, with all updates, but still with broken functionalities. As I said, at work I have an stable fedora 8, which serves well as a developer platform for RHEL.

wt6g
9th February 2009, 05:50 PM
I think I finally discovered what has been killing FC9 and FC10 for me. It's possible this is the issue for many others, but the clues I have are beyond my knowledge of the architecture, so I'm going to describe how I got there and perhaps you will be able to follow a similar path to making your system work reliably.

FC9 and FC10 seem to have issues on all of my machines. I have FC9 on two of them, FC10 was no-go on all machines.

On my main desktop FC9 installed but was unreliable. The most frequent annoyance was browsers crashing. Seamonkey, Firefox and even Opera crashed less frequently in that order, but they all crashed. I finally decided there had to be a problem with the video driver. It was about the only common denominator, and I'd castrated each of the browsers to no avail.

My video is ATI on the motherboard, an MS-7345

Another symptom was that Virtualbox crashed and so did QEMU.

Normally I ran this board with the failsafe options selected in the bios.

As I was trying to make changes to the bios that might effect the on board video I selected "Optimized Options". Whatever this did, the video problem is now gone. I was shocked when Knoppix booted to completion in QEMU for the very first time ever, and I have no had a browser crash in an hour - a new record.

I don't have the time to figure out what the Optimized Options change. I noticed something about the IOAPIC table going from version 1.1 to 1.4, but there might be much more than that going on.

I did NOT have to make any changes to xorg.conf (that was where I was going when I tripped over the solution).

Bottom line is if users are running 'failesafe' options they may be tripping over a simple bug in FC9 or FC10 that is the actual cause of the problem. Most users assume failsafe means failsafe, but in this case I think there is a bug in support for the older standards.

This bug is not in FC8 which I ran in this mode until recently.

Len Umina
WT6G