PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 9 - Workstation vs Server

JoeJitsu
29th July 2008, 03:45 PM
I ordered the Fedora 9 media (CD set and DVD). This is my first real endeavor with Fedora so here's a dumb question:

Does the almost 4GB of data I received on CD or DVD contain the installation data for both server and workstation? I need to start designing a solid workstation environment that we can evaluate for work purposes so I want to make sure I have what I need.

I see on the fedora project site the two options for Fedora Desktop Live Media and KDE Live Media - from my reading - those seem to be the USB-bootable versions of the desktop - correct?

Sorry for the noob question...and thanks for any advice/information you may be able to provide.

drunkahol
29th July 2008, 03:56 PM
The 4Gb on the DVD is a comprehensive list of Fedora packages - although not entirely the complete set.

You can install desktops or servers from the DVD. Everything you need will be there. Just customise the install with the relevant details for your requirement. Further packages can be installed via yum after the install has completed.

Cheers

Duncan

drokmed
29th July 2008, 04:41 PM
If the server will be used for production purposes, I highly recommend using CentOS 5.2 for the server. Fedora is the "bleeding edge" version. CentOS is the stable production version. They are nearly identical though. I run both.

JoeJitsu
29th July 2008, 04:44 PM
Thank you much for the replies. I truly appreciate it.