PDA

View Full Version : KDE issues with Fedora 9

ezeuba
28th July 2008, 07:09 PM
I installed Fedora 9 and I got this weird issue with KDE. When I log in the taskbar is all weird and jumbled up, unlike what I know it should be. Now when I try to set my display settings the whole xwindow would crash and I would be forced to re-login again. It doesn't stop there anyway, if I try to re-login to KDE it will never open again then I would be forced to use GNOME; infact I am using GNOME to send this issue across now. The long and short of it is that KDE does not work in Fedora 9. Anyone ever come across this issue before? Any solution(s)? Please help...
Cheers and thanks.

System Specs:
Pentium M (Centrino) 1.86 GHz
2GB RAM
80GB HDD
Intel 915GM Display driver
Dual-boot Win Vista Ultimate

drokmed
28th July 2008, 07:50 PM
KDE in Fedora 9 has problems. I had a different problem, but just as severe.

I'm stuck with gnome too...

bbfuller
28th July 2008, 08:01 PM
Hello ezeuba

KDE4.0 is a very early attempt at the new KDE. A lot of us have found it completely inadequate for everyday use.

The good news is that KDE 4.1 is due to be released sometime on the 29th of this month and will probably be in the Fedora update repositories shortly after that.

We'll just have to hope that the worst of the mess has been cleared up then.

Chilly Willy
28th July 2008, 08:02 PM
I fought that KDE 4 for a WEEK - lockups & crashes & bugs (IMO, it is just pure JUNK) - finally gave up & switched to gnome. in ONE HOUR was up & running. I DO like KDE 3 better but I just don't want to mess with the install at this point. KDE 4.1 is due the 29th, I may give it a shot.

drokmed
28th July 2008, 08:05 PM
KDE 4.1 is due the 29th, I may give it a shot.
I'll wait to see what others say... not ready to battle KDE4 again :mad:

I really wish they would make a KDE3 alternative, but NO chance, different topic too..

ezeuba
28th July 2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys for all your comments and replies. You know it's a good feeling knowing one is not in a particular boat all alone; though the problem persists. I think I'll try to update my KDE from what I saw on this page http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/ and see what happens from there. If it breaks again I'll move on to GNOME or any other desktop for that matter.
However, I really, really, really miss KDE 3.5, wish it could be installed on Fedora 9. It would be a smash hit.
Cheers...

Hlingler
28th July 2008, 10:33 PM
I usually use the packages from kde-redhat project. Have always worked good for me (outside of KDE4 being a mess). Unfortunately, checked last nite and he yanked most of the packs in preparation for the KDE-4.1 release on the 29th, so... not much left there. He builds/maintains the Fedora Project packages too, and I saw numerous package builds queued on Koji builder. I guess he wants people to use the Fedora KDE4.1 packages that will be out in a few days.

Best new feature: panel applet to replace that extremely annoying new main menu with the traditional one. YEAH! I'm almost back to "normal" (except for the error log spamming, but that's another issue).

Good Luck,
V

bbfuller
28th July 2008, 10:36 PM
Hello Hlingler

Break the news to me gently.

Can you autohide the taskbar?

Hlingler
28th July 2008, 10:46 PM
Ummm... gently? Negative. That would be one of the last remaining "missing" features. I don't believe it's in the next batch of release candidates either. :(

V

bbfuller
28th July 2008, 10:54 PM
Oh well, thanks anyway!

Hlingler
28th July 2008, 11:44 PM
Found one very nice new feature in kdmrc: you can turn NUM LOCK on at the login screen:
328 # What to do with the Num Lock modifier for the time the greeter is running:
329 # "Off" - turn off
330 # "On" - turn on
331 # "Keep" - do not change the state
332 # Default is Keep
333 NumLock=OnTogether with numlockx, NUM LOCK can be on the whole time from start boot to desktop loaded. :)

V

Hlingler
29th July 2008, 12:59 PM
Hello:

I just applied a pile of KDE4 updates from the updates-testing repo, and so far, so good. To be perfectly honest: I see little difference between 4.0.98 and 4.0.99, at least on the surface. Plasma went nuts for a few minutes, until I terminated it with extreme prejudice - it's been much better behaved after re-spawning itself. Biggest improvement seems to be with 'phonon', which is no longer spamming my ~/.xsession-errors file with pointless yet irrelevant messages.

Overall impression/assessment after semi-thorough playing/goofing around: seems much more stable.

@bbfuller: Alas and alack! No panel (taskbar) auto-hiding (yet). :(

V

drokmed
29th July 2008, 04:23 PM
The good news is that KDE 4.1 is due to be released sometime on the 29th of this month and will probably be in the Fedora update repositories shortly after that.
DING! It's out :)

http://www.kde.org/download/

Fedora KDE 4.1.0 packages are included in the experimental Rawhide development repository and also made available as updates for Fedora 9.

EDIT: Looks like it's in testing:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/kdeutils

bbfuller
29th July 2008, 05:45 PM
Hello Hlingler

I'll be waiting the Fedora release of KDE4.1 with interest.

Frankly, auto-hide of the taskbar is probably a luxury I can live without on todays larger desktop screens. Its just something I've got used to and grudge having to do without.

However, on laptops where screen real estate is still very valuable I'm really going to miss it. If only Xfce had session restore sorted out!

Hlingler
29th July 2008, 06:23 PM
Hello Hlingler

I'll be waiting the Fedora release of KDE4.1 with interest.

Frankly, auto-hide of the taskbar is probably a luxury I can live without on todays larger desktop screens. Its just something I've got used to and grudge having to do without.

However, on laptops where screen real estate is still very valuable I'm really going to miss it. If only Xfce had session restore sorted out!Agreed. And even on my desktop, I prefer to conserve real estate by using the auto-hide feature. Plus, the situation is aggravated in KDE4 at present because "plasmoid" font and icon sizes cannot be easily/independently adjusted. The digital clock displays a HUGE font, chewing up ~10 of panel length. I downloaded and compiled a great new weather plasmoid, only to find out that it's impossible to read the temperature and sky conditions with only half or less of the words showing in the panel space. :eek:

You guys can of course wait if you want, but my motivation in grabbing the updates-testing "hot off the press" was hoping to try to stifle those megabytes of d*@#%d .xsession-errors messages. I got lucky this time, and have got a bargain in my book with the 4.0.99 pre-release. And a much duller roar emanating from .xsession-errors. This in my opinion is a "Good Thing™©®".

Regards,
V