PDA

View Full Version : Desktop launcher running qemu not working

jsalvo
28th July 2008, 11:46 AM
Hi,

I upgraded from F7 to F9 just last week .... One of the things that I just noticed that was not working ( as in nothing happens when you double-click the icon or right-click -> Open on the icon ) was a desktop launcher that runs qemu:

This is the original desktop launcher in F7 that worked, that no longer works:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Win98
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Name[en_US]=Win98
Exec=qemu -hda kvm-disks/win98-sp21a-diane.dmp -localtime -no-acpi -m 384 -soundhw sb16
GenericName[en_US]=
GenericName[en_AU]=

I tried creating a new desktop launcher with the same commands, and end up with this:

Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Windows98
Type=Application
Terminal=true
Icon[en_AU]=gnome-panel-launcher
Exec=qemu -hda kvm-disks/win98-sp21a-diane.dmp -localtime -no-acpi -m 384 -soundhw sb16
Name[en_AU]=Windows98
Icon=gnome-panel-launcher
GenericName[en_AU]=

Although both don't work, there is one difference:

The second launcher has "Terminal=true", and when I double-click on the icon, I can actually see a terminal open for a second and then close immediately. The first launcher has no visual clue on what happened and why it failed.

Finally, of course, if I copy and paste the complete qemu command-line from the Exec to an open terminal, then qemu launches win98 without problems.

Any clues ? Like I said, it worked when I was using F7. Unfortunately, one of the educational programs for my kids only works on windows, so I have to use win98 in a VM using qemu.

Thanks,

John

jsalvo
28th July 2008, 11:55 AM
Replying to my own post, but not the solution. Saw someone with a similar problem:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=194432

.... but I have checked and I do have all the latest updates, and specifically I do have the same RPMs mentioned in that post. No updates pending when I tried "yum list updates".

jsalvo
2nd August 2008, 09:36 AM
Found the problem.

I changed the exec / launcher so that instead of:

qemu -hda kvm-disks/win98-sp21a-diane.dmp -localtime -no-acpi -m 384 -soundhw sb16

.. it now says:

qemu -hda /home/jsalvo/kvm-disks/win98-sp21a-diane.dmp -localtime -no-acpi -m 384 -soundhw sb16

... and it now works. Looks like when I was using F7, it assumed that the current working directory is the home directory. That does not seem to be the case for F9, as I have to explicitly specify the full working path to make it work.