PDA

View Full Version : Kernel update.. how to reinstall video drivers

bdaedalus359
28th July 2008, 09:48 AM
Pretty straight forward 'duh' question.. Forgive me, I'm new to Linux and I just switched from kde based SUSE..

The Kernel got an update so I have to reinstall my video drivers.. When I try to log in, I'm taken to a plain white screen that doesn't really do anything.

I need to install the latest Nvidia drivers for a 6200 from the terminal. How do I do that?

MSK61
28th July 2008, 10:24 AM
Try this howto from a virtual terminal(Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+F2 for example): http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=188241

crainey69
28th July 2008, 03:10 PM
Hi Bdaedalus359

First of all, Welcome to Fedora!

Not sure about the 6200 but probably (I have 6800). If you have livna repos enabled, you can install kmod-nvidia and livna-config-display via yum. That being done the video drivers will update automatically with kernel updates.

Not many questions that I feel safe in offering suggestions to but I think that will help you!

Cory

bdaedalus359
28th July 2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the replys but, I've followed crainey69's suggestion and the howto but, yum tells me that "nvidia" doesn't exist or something like that.

On a side note, yum is really user-unfriendly. I'm not even sure I'm understanding what it's telling me. It's almost as if I don't have the repo enabled but, I know I do. Unless the kernel update un-did all of my settings.

JohnVV
28th July 2008, 07:41 PM
so you installed the nvidia.run package form nvidia .
1) first thing if you want to use this one ( i do not recommend it ) save it to / then for all kernel and xorg updates you MUST rebuild it .

su -
telinit 3
-- xorg shuts down , then relogin as root --
cd /
chmod +x *.run
sh .*.run
-- and install --

--------------------
the BEST way is to install ivina
-- remove the .run

su -
telinit 3
sh .*.run -uninstall

reboot

su -
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-9.rpm
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-livna
yum install kmod-nvidia

crainey69
28th July 2008, 07:45 PM
ok, sorry, I can't help you anymore..

I used yum to install kmod-nvidia and livna-config-display. If I remember right, I may have had to mess with xorg.conf a little but.

if yum confuses you... perhaps yum install yumex then. Yumex is a GUI version of yum.

Cory

MSK61
29th July 2008, 07:07 AM
bdaedalus359, could you post the exact output of yum when you run it?
Could you also post the output of

yum repolist
?

bdaedalus359
2nd August 2008, 07:30 AM
so you installed the nvidia.run package form nvidia .
1) first thing if you want to use this one ( i do not recommend it ) save it to / then for all kernel and xorg updates you MUST rebuild it .

su -
telinit 3
-- xorg shuts down , then relogin as root --
cd /
chmod +x *.run
sh .*.run
-- and install --

--------------------
the BEST way is to install ivina
-- remove the .run

su -
telinit 3
sh .*.run -uninstall

reboot

su -
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-9.rpm
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-livna
yum install kmod-nvidia

Ok, I'm going to try this. I was just tinkering around with yum for about 30 minutes and noticed my primary repo has been freshrpms. I've tried to disable freshrpms and activate Livna but, yum keeps reverting back to freshrpms no matter what I do.

I really, really, really don't like yum. It's like a stupid child; it doesn't listen to anything you tell it to do.

marko
2nd August 2008, 08:00 AM
Ok, I'm going to try this. I was just tinkering around with yum for about 30 minutes and noticed my primary repo has been freshrpms. I've tried to disable freshrpms and activate Livna but, yum keeps reverting back to freshrpms no matter what I do.

I really, really, really don't like yum. It's like a stupid child; it doesn't listen to anything you tell it to do.

you'd edit the /etc/yum.repos.d/freshrpms.repo file and change the
enabled=1
to
enabled=0

If you'd install yumex, there's a configuration page in it where you can select and
de-select repositories as checkboxes (they don't "stick" however,
the next time you run it will be back to the defaults as set by
the 'enabled' flag in each repository file )