PDA

View Full Version : Question on digital camera automounting

palaste
27th July 2008, 07:06 PM
I recently upgraded from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9. Now, when I connect my Canon PowerShot S3 IS digital camera via a USB cable to the computer, Fedora automatically recognises it and shows its contents in a Nautilus window, where I can use the mouse to copy&paste them to my internal hard drive. This is all well and good, but I would get the work done much faster through the command line. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do this. The camera doesn't show up as a mount point in the file system, only in Nautilus. Is there a way to do this?

Skunk Worx
27th July 2008, 08:19 PM
you don't see it under /media/disk (for example) that's where my panasonic lumix shows up by default.

palaste
27th July 2008, 08:28 PM
you don't see it under /media/disk (for example) that's where my panasonic lumix shows up by default.
No, under /media/disk I see my Lacie F.A.Porsche USB hard disk (also automounted). I do not see any other filesystem in /media.

Skunk Worx
27th July 2008, 09:49 PM
Have you tried the 'dmesg' command before and after insertion? Maybe a hint will show up there, or in /var/log/messages

For me :

1) plug in the usb, power on the camera
2) get a icon on the desktop '4,1 GB'.
3) Dialog states " You have just inserted...blah blah" and offers options.
4) One option is nautilus, I choose that
5) Title bar in nautilus states 'disk' and /media/disk exists.

Nothing interesting in the '$ mount' output after insertion either?

Skunk Worx
27th July 2008, 10:07 PM
I looked on google a little and apparently my Lumix uses "Mass Storage" or "Bulk Media Storage" as the connection type. Other cameras have other means to connect, for example with PTP. Apparently a lot of PTP cameras do not mount under /media at all.

I'd check the manual to see if you can change the transfer protocol. Some people can't and buy a cheap adapter for USB and pop the memory card into it.

Sorry I can't be more help. Maybe someone else will hop in that is more familiar with the issue.

sidebrnz
28th July 2008, 01:02 AM
Install gThumb if it isn't already and use that to suck in your photos. You may need to right-click on the camera's desktop icon and unmount it before gThumb can read it. HTH, HAND.

Karl_W_Lewis
29th July 2008, 03:21 PM
I have a similar but reverse problem. My Nikon Digital Camera (D300) worked *perfectly* on Fedora 8 but when I upgraded to F9 it is no longer automatically recognized. It did not even mount as storage. (dmesg shows the camera being recognized when I connect it, but nothing else happened; nothing got mounted.)

I found a post that suggested I needed to modify /etc/udev/rules.d/05-udev-early.rules, which did not exist on my rebuilt F9 system, so I created that, and now I can see the camera as a storage device, so that counts as progress, but the gThumb utiltiy is not started automagically as it used to be. gThumb is installed.

What do I need to do to associate the camera with gThumb?

For what it might be worth, I'm running Fedora 9 x86_64, and I had been running Fedora 8 x86_64.

KWL

sidebrnz
29th July 2008, 06:57 PM
I've never gotten gThumb to open on its own, but that might be because I have to unmount the camera before gThumb can use it. Try it that way, and see if it works.

palaste
29th July 2008, 07:03 PM
I've never gotten gThumb to open on its own, but that might be because I have to unmount the camera before gThumb can use it. Try it that way, and see if it works.
That way works for me, so I recommend you try it too. It won't work if the camera is mounted, you have to unmount it first. I wish there was a command-line PTP tool available.

Karl_W_Lewis
1st August 2008, 02:45 PM

It's taken me a while to get the time to check this out again...

Yes, thanks, I don't need to unmount the camera, but if I call up gThumb myself I can import the images from the camera with no troubles at all.

Thanks for the tip!

KWL

hunger
8th August 2008, 06:53 AM
More information here:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1060238

FYI: my system (Fedora 9) no longer automatically mounts my camera (Canon SD600). I didn't change any settings that I am aware of, so I suspect the problem was fixed in a recent update.