PDA

View Full Version : KDE 4.1... when will we see it for Fedora 9?

sblantipodi
27th July 2008, 01:13 PM
As topic.
When we will se a stable version of KDE 4.1 available for Fedora 9?

Is there someone who tryed the 4.1 version?
Is it a good replacement for KDE 3?

leigh123linux
27th July 2008, 01:42 PM
I think kde 4.1 will be released in the next 7-10 days ( they are working on it now at koji ) .

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/userinfo?userID=160

sblantipodi
27th July 2008, 02:11 PM
I think kde 4.1 will be released in the next 7-10 days ( they are working on it now at koji ) .

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/userinfo?userID=160

sincerely I always used KDE but with KDE 4 I stopped using it.
KDE 4.0 is unstable, unusable and ugly...
Hope to see that things are changed with KDE 4.1.

Wayne
27th July 2008, 02:16 PM
It's probably best to look on the KDE pages to check their release schedules....

Wayne

DarkAudit
27th July 2008, 02:31 PM
Expected release date from KDE themselves is the 29th. What's the usual turnaround time for packages to build, test, and distribute to the rest of us?

RahulSundaram
27th July 2008, 08:11 PM
Hi,

Refer

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-July/msg03448.html

rdieter
28th July 2008, 02:16 AM
fwiw, kde-4.0.99 pkgs are in updates-testing *now*.

leigh123linux
28th July 2008, 02:45 AM
sincerely I always used KDE but with KDE 4 I stopped using it.
KDE 4.0 is unstable, unusable and ugly...
Hope to see that things are changed with KDE 4.1.

Things seem a lot better in KDE 4.1 :cool:

Wayne
28th July 2008, 02:49 AM
I don't have KDE installed but just for a laugh I did this:

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

Umm, just a small install of 113 new and 2 updated packages at 355Mb.... Of course, I didn't let it happen :)

Wayne

Demz
28th July 2008, 02:51 AM
Things seem a lot better in KDE 4.1 :cool: they improved the ugly Start Menu in 4.1?

leigh123linux
28th July 2008, 03:06 AM
they improved the ugly Start Menu in 4.1?

I don't know as the menu is not working properly :cool: ( I seem to have a Gnome menu :cool: :cool: :cool: )

Wayne
28th July 2008, 03:09 AM
Is it really the Gnome menu or the "Classic" look? :)

Wayne

Demz
28th July 2008, 03:14 AM
looks like the classic look .. probably better looking than the original

muep
28th July 2008, 05:56 AM
I think the default menu in KDE 4.0 was far from ugly, and actually very functional. KDE 4.1 features the same menu, though made it a little prettier.

Of course, the classic menu was, is and will be available for those who don't want to learn to use the new one.

Demz
28th July 2008, 06:01 AM
if im right i think a lot of people will go to XFCE4.6 if not use Gnome than the current KDE4.1 when its released, iv'e only used KDE4.0.x a few times an im not overly pleased with it,

posterartist
29th July 2008, 03:43 PM
I downloaded KDE 4.0 live cd and have an old 4.03. When will Fedora have 4.1? will it be announced?. The best part of the fedora version of kde 4.0 wireless works auto on startup, gnome and kde. In the suse 4.0 and 4.1 wireless needs firmware. Now I am stuck on wireless how the heck do get the firmware? Puzzles like that has my Apple studio amazed! You know, maybe all these distros need to be mixed up, pick and choose the best of each one...

drokmed
29th July 2008, 04:51 PM
Looks like KDE 4.1 is now in Fedora 9 testing:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/kdeutils

I wonder how long until it hits stable.........

rdieter
29th July 2008, 06:13 PM
update pending:
http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2008-6743

LDC
29th July 2008, 07:28 PM
it has been officially published today, let's wait for F9 repos :P

Wayne
30th July 2008, 04:26 AM
Screenshots here:

http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/

Wayne

Demz
30th July 2008, 05:00 AM
how come it still depends on this package , kde-i18n-3.5.9-8.fc9 an not kde-i18n-4.1.0 ?

ogetbilo
30th July 2008, 08:09 AM
The king returns....

I'm using Rex' rpms. They run without problems.

@Rex, why is kdepim in the unstable repo?

Hlingler
30th July 2008, 10:24 AM
There's about a half dozen different threads going on lately about KDE4.1....

@ogetbilo: I saw that, too. In fact, I had to exclude a couple of packages due to dependency errors related to kdepim. Not sure what gives with that....

V

drokmed
30th July 2008, 01:56 PM
Hi all,

New guy here, I have a few questions for you veterans:

1. How long do you "anticipate" until KDE4.1 goes from testing to stable? I know that "it depends" usually on bug fixes being fixed first, but with all of the anxious anticipation, do you think they will "accelerate" or even "compromise" the process? If you had to guess, we talking days or weeks?

2. I'm anxious to try 4.1, but never enabled "testing" yet in this distro. Is it possible to enable testing, install only KDE4.1, then deactivate testing? Or will the testing version of KDE want to upgrade my libraries, basically the core system? I don't want to upgrade everything to testing just yet.

I apologize if it seems I'm hijacking this thread, but since I'm talking about KDE4.1, I thought others would also want to know the answers to these.

Thanks,

Daryl

Wayne
30th July 2008, 01:59 PM
If you don't have KDE installed, then this command will enable the testing repo just for the one time and once completed will be disabled again:

I'm only guessing here but I think to update it you could just change "groupinstall" to "groupupdate"

Wayne

drokmed
30th July 2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks, will try that. No, I don't have it installed yet,

Hlingler
30th July 2008, 02:05 PM
Hi all,

New guy here, I have a few questions for you veterans:

1. How long do you "anticipate" until KDE4.1 goes from testing to stable? I know that "it depends" usually on bug fixes being fixed first, but with all of the anxious anticipation, do you think they will "accelerate" or even "compromise" the process? If you had to guess, we talking days or weeks?

2. I'm anxious to try 4.1, but never enabled "testing" yet in this distro. Is it possible to enable testing, install only KDE4.1, then deactivate testing? Or will the testing version of KDE want to upgrade my libraries, basically the core system? I don't want to upgrade everything to testing just yet.

I apologize if it seems I'm hijacking this thread, but since I'm talking about KDE4.1, I thought others would also want to know the answers to these.

Thanks,

Daryl(1) It depends.... :D I suppose if we all go to bohdi and give the updates good "karma" points, it'll be pushed to stable faster. I could be persuaded to bother. You paying? :D Seriously, though, it should be a matter of days, maybe a week, if you want a guesstimate.

(2) Looks like Wayne covered that. Must learn to type faster....

V

P.S. As I've mentioned elsewhere, so far the KDE-4.0.99 packages have been performing very well here. In fact, much better than the previous, although the changes are all "below the surface".

Wayne
30th July 2008, 02:11 PM
Sorry if I trod on your toes there Vince, hope they're not bruised :)

@drokmed. If you're keen to try KDE 4.1 then go for it, but remember it's updates-testing. It might work perfectly, might steal your car and your girlfriend and drink all your beer!

I'm guessing it will work, I installed Gnome 2.22.2 and 2.22.3 from there before they were released generally and haven't encountered any new problems :)

It's easily removed too via yum if you don't want it.

Wayne

drokmed
30th July 2008, 02:38 PM
Installed 86 packages
Updated only 2

At the end of the install, had 4 errors:

Transaction Check Error:
file /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/kipi.png from install of kdegraphics-4.0.99-2.fc9.x86_64 conflicts with file from package libkipi-0.1.5-4.fc9.x86_64
file /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/kipi.png from install of kdegraphics-4.0.99-2.fc9.x86_64 conflicts with file from package libkipi-0.1.5-4.fc9.x86_64
file /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/kipi.png from install of kdegraphics-4.0.99-2.fc9.x86_64 conflicts with file from package libkipi-0.1.5-4.fc9.x86_64
file /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/kipi.png from install of kdegraphics-4.0.99-2.fc9.x86_64 conflicts with file from package libkipi-0.1.5-4.fc9.x86_64

I logged out, but the GDM isn't giving me a choice of desktops. Can't select KDE. Rebooted. Same thing. No KDE :(

I take it the above package kdegraphics didn't install. Should I force it? After all, didn't install because of a png file? DOH!

Maybe I should check and see if this bug has been filed yet...

Hlingler
30th July 2008, 02:43 PM
You must have caught a mirror that wasn't fully synched:
kdegrapgics-4.0.99-2.fc9
libkipi-0.1.6-2.fc9

If that's the message you got, then the whole transaction was cancelled....

V

drokmed
30th July 2008, 03:23 PM
KDE4.1 is beautiful!!!!!!! :) :) :)

I figured it out:

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update libkipi

It was just the install order. The bug reporting site is aware of issues, and is going to eventually drop libkipi, so no biggie.

OMG I'm not going to get any work done today....... gonna be playing in KDE :D

For all you KDE fans waiting for it to go to stable, why wait? :cool:

Now to take some pics..................

ogetbilo
30th July 2008, 04:47 PM
There's about a half dozen different threads going on lately about KDE4.1....

@ogetbilo: I saw that, too. In fact, I had to exclude a couple of packages due to dependency errors related to kdepim. Not sure what gives with that....

V
There is also a version of kdeutils in the unstable repo. You have to use that one instead of the one in the testing repo if you want kdepim. I am using kmail-4.1 for a day now without any problems :) .

Drop me a line if there are any other dependency issues. There might be a couple other packages from the unstable repo you may need to use.

Jongi
30th July 2008, 07:33 PM
i am liking so far

Hlingler
30th July 2008, 07:34 PM
There is also a version of kdeutils in the unstable repo. You have to use that one instead of the one in the testing repo if you want kdepim. I am using kmail-4.1 for a day now without any problems :) .

Drop me a line if there are any other dependency issues. There might be a couple other packages from the unstable repo you may need to use.Oof! After updating everything yesterday (~150 MB+) to 4.0.99 from the fedora repos, I see now what you mean: version 4.1.x of everything is in kde-redhat-testing repo.

I thought he said he was going to empty out most of kde-redhat so that people would use what's in the fedora repo instead? I guess he did - briefly. Oh, well, time to find out what else has changed: yum update....

V

EDIT: Another 176 MB of updates.... I had to exclude kipi-plugins and libkdcraw to get the updates to pass dependency checks (and that is with "unstable" enabled to get several dependencies).

PolywogSys
30th July 2008, 09:51 PM
if im right i think a lot of people will go to XFCE4.6 if not use Gnome than the current KDE4.1 when its released, iv'e only used KDE4.0.x a few times an im not overly pleased with it,

So I've been using KDE for 10 years...
I upgraded to Fedora 9 last week...

I have been using XFCE4 ever since.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for 4.1 when it comes out, but I am not going to hold my breath. I've just configured XFCE nicely.

Three apps that need replacing though:
kview (which isn't even in KDE4 - and their 'replacement' doesn't support Image Lists, so what am I going to do with my 'Albums').
klipper
karm

Any recommendations?

Demz
31st July 2008, 01:34 AM
So I've been using KDE for 10 years...
I upgraded to Fedora 9 last week...

I have been using XFCE4 ever since.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for 4.1 when it comes out, but I am not going to hold my breath. I've just configured XFCE nicely.

Three apps that need replacing though:
kview (which isn't even in KDE4 - and their 'replacement' doesn't support Image Lists, so what am I going to do with my 'Albums').
klipper
karm

Any recommendations?
as of for recommendations i don't have any, but XFCE is becoming a matured lightweight window manager ..i use it over Gnome atm, im dissapointed in 2.22

rdieter
31st July 2008, 03:07 AM
kdepim-4.1.0 is not included in F-9 because it is too large and update (kdepim3 -> kdepim4), and would induce may dependency issues (there's a handful of pkgs in F-9 that depend on kdepim3).

jsalvo
31st July 2008, 07:25 AM
kdepim-4.1.0 is not included in F-9 because it is too large and update (kdepim3 -> kdepim4), and would induce may dependency issues (there's a handful of pkgs in F-9 that depend on kdepim3).

Wait a minute ... so you're saying we will __NEVER__ see KDE 4.1 in F9 ?

I would even like to change from gdm to kdm, but that is done manually via /etc/sysconfig/desktop.

I guess it's time to try out OpenSuse 11.0.

a thing
31st July 2008, 08:27 AM

No, you won't see KDE PIM (http://pim.kde.org/) 4.

Demz
31st July 2008, 11:36 AM

I would even like to change from gdm to kdm, but that is done manually via /etc/sysconfig/desktop.

I guess it's time to try out OpenSuse 11.0.
OpenSuse11.0 doesnt make KDE4 default, its optional an i do not know if it has all KDE packages in it an allows you to install KDE4.1 rpm's made by Novel to install in 11.0

jsalvo
31st July 2008, 12:14 PM
No, you won't see KDE PIM (http://pim.kde.org/) 4.

Oh .... misread the post by rdeiter.

jsalvo
31st July 2008, 12:16 PM
OpenSuse11.0 doesnt make KDE4 default, its optional an i do not know if it has all KDE packages in it an allows you to install KDE4.1 rpm's made by Novel to install in 11.0

This link says otherwise:

http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/kde-41-released-with-opensuse-packages-and-live-cd/

I'll be trying it tomorrow in a VM.

Demz
31st July 2008, 12:39 PM
This link says otherwise:

http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/kde-41-released-with-opensuse-packages-and-live-cd/

I'll be trying it tomorrow in a VM.
something new, thanks for the link though i wonder if all the packages are of KDE4.1 but with kdepim3.5.9 to avoid dependancy issues .. look into that before you go over to with 1 of the Devils

Wayne
31st July 2008, 12:50 PM
Sshhh, don't tell anyone but OpenSuse is one of only two distros that works with my hardware... The other one isn't Fedora either... it's French! :eek:

Wayne

drokmed
31st July 2008, 01:44 PM
Sshhh, don't tell anyone but OpenSuse is one of only two distros that works with my hardware... The other one isn't Fedora either... it's French! :eek:
Linpus? ;)

Wayne
31st July 2008, 01:49 PM
Mandrivel... err... Mandrake... err... Mandriva....

Wayne

cdouglas
31st July 2008, 05:43 PM
In 4.0.99, there was a really cool mouse cursor theme by default that had 2 dots below for he hourglass function. With 4.1.0, its gone. Anyone know what that was and how to get it again?

Hlingler
31st July 2008, 06:03 PM
In 4.0.99, there was a really cool mouse cursor theme by default that had 2 dots below for he hourglass function. With 4.1.0, its gone. Anyone know what that was and how to get it again?Have a look through here: http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=36

V

drokmed
31st July 2008, 06:06 PM
In 4.0.99, there was a really cool mouse cursor theme by default that had 2 dots below for he hourglass function. With 4.1.0, its gone. Anyone know what that was and how to get it again?
Not gone on mine. Weird.

EDIT: Ohh crap, never mind. One of mine is 4.0.99, the other 4.1.0. DOH! Sorry, my bad!

You are right, it is a really cool mouse theme, much better.

rdieter
31st July 2008, 06:25 PM
yum install oxygen-cursor-themes

and then choose one of those, systemsettings->keyboard&mouse

cdouglas
31st July 2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks, I had installed the oxygen-cursor-themes fc10 rpm since that looked like the correct one but it didn't appear to be working. I logged out and it and it started working.

Thanks
Chris

Demz
1st August 2008, 04:34 AM
anyone installed KDE4.1 from Updates-testing repo successfully without deps? it requires the libopenbabe to be installed also

angrypanda
1st August 2008, 01:27 PM
HI,

I just tried to install with yum --enablerepo=updates-testing groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

Failed dependency with:
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
6:kdelibs-devel-4.0.5-5.fc9.i386 from updates has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: kdelibs = 6:4.0.5-5.fc9 is needed by package 6:kdelibs-devel-4.0.5-5.fc9.i386 (updates)
Error: Missing Dependency: kdelibs = 6:4.0.5-5.fc9 is needed by package 6:kdelibs-devel-4.0.5-5.fc9.i386 (updates)

This is on FC9 x86_64 - so not sure if the i386 libraries are being installed for compatibility or is it an error....? :confused:

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Cheers, Jon

rdieter
1st August 2008, 01:47 PM
Odd, did you disable/modify multilib settings on your box (ie, to exclude .i386 pkgs)?

drokmed
1st August 2008, 02:21 PM
I have installed 4.10 on one machine, and 4.099 on another. No problems. Don't have access to them at the moment.

LinuxTom
1st August 2008, 07:32 PM
I have probably said this before in the forums, but my observations always indicate that Fedora releases fall short in their KDE implementations.

It seems it still holds true with the 4.x releases.

After 4.0 was released, I played with it on several distros, openSUSE's implementation worked as well as could be expected from 4.0, but I could barely keep KDE afloat in Fedora.

That said KDE 4.0 was so horrid I switched to Gnome, for the first time ever.

After the 4.1 versions began to be released, I played with them on Fedora and openSUSE; as expected, while 4.1 is a great improvement over 4.0, Fedora's KDE just isn't working well at all.

Mind you, I know that using the updates-testing repo means there may be bugs present, but it seems that it takes much longer for the Fedora KDE issues to be resolved.

Hopefully things will get straightened out with KDE and Fedora's KDE in general, to the point at which we KDE heads that prefer Fedora can go home again.

leigh123linux
1st August 2008, 07:51 PM
I have probably said this before in the forums, but my observations always indicate that Fedora releases fall short in their KDE implementations.

After 4.0 was released, I played with it on several distros, openSUSE's implementation worked as well as could be expected from 4.0, but I could barely keep KDE afloat in Fedora.

After the 4.1 versions began to be released, I played with them on Fedora and openSUSE; as expected, while 4.1 is a great improvement over 4.0, Fedora's KDE just isn't working well at all.

Mind you, I know that using the updates-testing repo means there may be bugs present, but it seems that it takes much longer for the Fedora KDE issues to be resolved.

Hopefully things will get straightened out with KDE and Fedora's KDE in general, to the point at which we KDE heads that prefer Fedora can go home again.

Thread merged !

jsalvo
2nd August 2008, 01:24 AM

My experience:

KDE in F7 was good. After moving to F9, KDE 4.0 seems like a second child ... quite slow and buggy.
Only way to get reasonably good KDE responsiveness is to use KDM ( by default, F9 uses GDM ) by editing /etc/sysconfig/desktop and adding the line:

DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

... then:

/sbin/init 3
/sbin/init 5

... to startup KDE with the KDE login manager. Still buggy .. KGet does not work, etc. So for now, I have DISPLAYMANAGER=GNOME in /etc/sysconfig/desktop.

In another matter, playing UrbanTerror in GNOME seems slow /laggy, but playing UrbanTerror in KDE with KDM is a lot more responsive.

Wayne
2nd August 2008, 01:37 AM
Fedora is a Gnome based distro that includes KDE as a choice, obviously they're going to give more love to Gnome than they are KDE, just as Mandriva is a KDE centric distro that offers Gnome as a choice, but not the latest and greatest. As I recall they're minor point releases behind Fedora, which is why I prefer Fedora over over distros.

I would have preferred it if the devs did not include KDE4 in F9, but stuck with 3.5.9 and paid more attention to fixing the bugs in Gnome 2.22.x. They could have then included KDE4.1 in F10...

Wayne

Demz
2nd August 2008, 02:21 AM
Fedora is a Gnome based distro that includes KDE as a choice, obviously they're going to give more love to Gnome than they are KDE, just as Mandriva is a KDE centric distro that offers Gnome as a choice, but not the latest and greatest. As I recall they're minor point releases behind Fedora, which is why I prefer Fedora over over distros.

I would have preferred it if the devs did not include KDE4 in F9, but stuck with 3.5.9 and paid more attention to fixing the bugs in Gnome 2.22.x. They could have then included KDE4.1 in F10...

Wayne
sure there gonna give more love to Gnome but if you remember back to redhat8.0 days when redhat did what they did with KDE, im sure now that Fedora/redhat has to have equality with KDE an Gnome in there Distro or they'll face another issue from the KDE Team

Wayne
2nd August 2008, 02:26 AM
I never used RH8 so don't know what happened. I think I was dual booting Mandrake and OS/2 at the time and using KDE because it was the default until it finally drove me over the edge and I started looking for a better DE :)

As for their Plasmoids, I hope it isn't too painful, maybe they could get something from their doctor to put on it :D

Wayne

Demz
2nd August 2008, 02:45 AM
I never used RH8 so don't know what happened. I think I was dual booting Mandrake and OS/2 at the time and using KDE because it was the default until it finally drove me over the edge and I started looking for a better DE :)

As for their Plasmoids, I hope it isn't too painful, maybe they could get something from their doctor to put on it :D

Wayne
lol

KDE4 needs more than Just Doctors :D

marko
3rd August 2008, 01:40 AM
I'm getting tired of waiting for KDE4.1 to hit the normal F9 repo, what are the possible bad side effects of just doing:

yum --enablerepo=fedora-testing update

?

Would it be safer to target KDE itself or are there hidden deps so that
it would be better to do the full update?

yum --enablerepo=fedora-testing groupupdate "KDE"

Wayne
3rd August 2008, 01:52 AM
A quick search of the forum would have turned up these two currently running threads:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195715

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195301

We don't need a third, so I'm closing this one down.

Edit: Scratch that, I'll merge 'em....

Wayne

Seve
3rd August 2008, 01:54 AM
Hello:

what are the possible bad side effects of just doing:

The world ( for you and yours ) will come to an end ..... :D

I have no idea off hand.......
I know that you have enough experience to work through any of the hiccups that may occur .... so give it a whirl.

What's the worst that could happen ?

Disclaimer
As usual ..... backup your data before trying this :)

Seve

cdouglas
3rd August 2008, 02:01 AM
I have installed Kde 4.1 on two machines and haven't had any issues with either. A co-worker upgraded his also to KDE 4.1 with no issues.

When F9/KDE 4.0 came out, KDE was very buggy and I had several days where it was real unstable to the point that I switched to Gnome. For me, Gnome was so lacking that I switched back to KDE and just dealt with the instability. The same co worker as above had the exact same experience. After that, it was ok for the most part but still odd lockups and freezes. With KDE 4.1, I have not had any lockups yet after 3 days of use and I really am liking the improvements in the apps.

-Chris

Nokia
3rd August 2008, 02:18 AM
I'm getting tired of waiting for KDE4.1 to hit the normal F9 repo, what are the possible bad side effects of just doing:

?

Marko, this post is made on Konqueror from KDE 4.1 on a fresh F9 x86_64 install, running smoothly for ~ 24 hours. I guess that's all you can ask for before deciding whether to wait or not. :)

alstoneo
3rd August 2008, 03:04 AM
Got KDE 4.1 to work, but only when i'm logged in as root. Anyone knows why?

Demz
3rd August 2008, 03:12 AM
im starting to think KDE4 is a total flipflop DE.. KDE4 will nott be fully functional till KDE4.2 comes out

ogetbilo
3rd August 2008, 05:13 AM

?

Well I just did this and I have no issues :

yum --enablerepo=fedora-testing update kde*

JN4OldSchool
3rd August 2008, 05:22 AM
Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce Xfce

This is a subliminal message

Demz
3rd August 2008, 05:27 AM
i just removed KDE4 its an eyesore DE anyway ..think i'll keep using XFCE an Gnome only

Wayne
3rd August 2008, 05:31 AM
Microsoft Bob finally comes to Linux :) :D :p

Wayne

muep
3rd August 2008, 07:26 AM
I have now been running KDE 4.1 from updates-testing for a few days, and it is working very fine. Most of the packages were updated with a yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update kde\*, but had to also update some other packages, that didn't get automatically updated.

In my opinion, even KDE 4.0 series was very functional, even while it let a lot to be desired. KDE 4.1 is a huge improvement over that.

Thanks, KDE developers for creating this awesome desktop environment for me to use! And thanks, Fedora KDE SIG, for bringing it to Fedora 9 this fast! :)

bbfuller
3rd August 2008, 10:19 AM
For anyone interested in updating an existing version of KDE 4.0.5 to KDE 4.1 from the testing repo, I've just done it three times with no ill effects.

yum update

first as it requires some packages that are in the ordinary updates repo. Then:

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing groupupdate "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

will do it.

In my opinion it's about where we hoped KDE 4.0 would have been. Not perfect, but a lot more usable.

scottro
3rd August 2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the quick and dirty howto. It's interesting anyway. (I'm basically a fluxbox user, but every so often, I like to see what the big DE's are doing.)

zwerko
4th August 2008, 07:06 AM

will do it.

Doesn't work here... It says that I already have the latest KDE from repos, even tho my KDE is 4.0.5:

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Group Process
Package kdebase-workspace-4.0.5-3.fc9.i386 already installed and latest version
No packages in any requested group available to install or update

:confused:

Demz
4th August 2008, 07:07 AM
Doesn't work here... It says that I already have the latest KDE from repos, even tho my KDE is 4.0.5:

:confused:
try using Yumex an enabling the updates-testing repo there an update KDE from there

zwerko
4th August 2008, 08:18 AM
Tried that as well - same thing, it shows that KDE packages are already updated, and last available version is 4.0.5...

Nokia
4th August 2008, 08:26 AM
"Lazy" mirror ? Try yum clean all.

Wayne
4th August 2008, 08:41 AM
Perhaps they're moving it out of updates-testing and into updates....

Edit: OK I just checked an updates-testing mirror and there's 4.1.0-1 there to replace the 4.0.99 packages. Maybe the mirrors are not all up-to-date.

http://ftp.cica.es/fedora/linux/updates/testing/9/i386/

Wayne

bbfuller
4th August 2008, 08:47 AM
Hello zwerko

As has been suggested, it may be a problem with the particular mirror you are using.

I did another update using those commands last evening (12 hours prior to this post) and it worked then.

I've just checked in this source:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/9/i386/

and the 4.1 packages are still there this morning

Hlingler
4th August 2008, 08:56 AM
Hard to understand why a mirror wouldn't be up to date by now - those KDE-4.1.0-x packages were available starting 2008-07-30.

In addition, I got another small pile of KDE-related updates from testing last night.

V

Wayne
4th August 2008, 08:59 AM
Shows you how much I pay attention to dates on mirrors :) I just did a test and still got older packages as well as 3.5.9 packages! Nothing is installed though :)

Edit: A yum clean all fixed that...

Wayne

Nokia
4th August 2008, 09:06 AM
@zwerko Try
su -
yum install yum-tmprepo
yum groupupdate KDE --tmprepo=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/9/i386/If on 64 bit, replace i386 in the link with x86_64

Nokia
4th August 2008, 09:11 AM
Hard to understand why a mirror wouldn't be up to date by now - those KDE-4.1.0-x packages were available starting 2008-07-30.

In addition, I got another small pile of KDE-related updates from testing last night.

V

Here's a strange thing. yum clean all & yum update doesn't bring anything. Yumex included.

Yum groupupdate KDE shows this
Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ===========================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
Installing:
digikam x86_64 0.9.4-2.fc9 updates 11 M
kaffeine x86_64 0.8.6-4.fc9 fedora 3.1 M
kdeaccessibility x86_64 1:4.1.0-1.fc9 updates-testing 6.4 M
kdeedu x86_64 4.1.0-1.fc9 updates-testing 45 M
kdepim x86_64 6:3.5.9-10.fc9 updates 13 M
kftpgrabber x86_64 0.8.1-6.fc9 fedora 1.2 M
kipi-plugins x86_64 0.1.5-2.fc9 updates 9.3 M
konversation x86_64 1.0.1-6.fc9 fedora 6.3 M
kpowersave x86_64 0.7.3-3.fc9 fedora 3.0 M
ksshaskpass x86_64 0.4-2.fc9 fedora 18 k
ktorrent x86_64 3.0.2-3.fc9 updates 3.0 M
pinentry-qt x86_64 0.7.4-5.fc9 fedora 65 k
scribus x86_64 1.3.4-5.fc9 fedora 10 M
Installing for dependencies:
cfitsio x86_64 3.060-3.fc9 fedora 1.3 M
cln x86_64 1.2.0-1.fc9 fedora 640 k
gpsd x86_64 2.37-2.fc9 fedora 188 k
gsl x86_64 1.10-10.fc9 fedora 887 k
inchi x86_64 1.0.2-0.3.fc9 fedora 571 k
kaffeine-libs x86_64 0.8.6-4.fc9 fedora 38 k
kdeedu-kstars x86_64 4.1.0-1.fc9 updates-testing 9.3 M
kdeedu-libs x86_64 4.1.0-1.fc9 updates-testing 1.0 M
kdeedu-math x86_64 4.1.0-1.fc9 updates-testing 3.4 M
kdepim-libs x86_64 6:3.5.9-10.fc9 updates 6.1 M
libkdcraw x86_64 0.1.4-2.fc9 updates 218 k
libkexiv2 x86_64 0.1.7-1.fc9 updates 65 k
libkipi x86_64 0.1.6-2.fc9 updates 127 k
libmal x86_64 0.31-8.fc9 fedora 61 k
libnova x86_64 0.12.1-3.fc9 fedora 1.1 M
libopensync x86_64 0.36-2.fc9 fedora 438 k
libqalculate x86_64 0.9.6-4.fc9 fedora 1.0 M
openbabel x86_64 2.2.0-1.fc9 updates 2.4 M
spambayes noarch 1.0.4-5.fc8 fedora 526 k
tix x86_64 1:8.4.2-5.fc9 fedora 272 k
tk x86_64 1:8.5.2-1.fc9 updates 1.5 M
tkinter x86_64 2.5.1-26.fc9 updates 221 k

Transaction Summary
Install 35 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 142 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

Pretty strange behaviour... :confused:

zwerko
4th August 2008, 09:49 AM
"Lazy" mirror ? Try yum clean all.

Tried it several times already... Wont bunch...

@zwerko Try
su -
yum install yum-tmprepo
yum groupupdate KDE --tmprepo=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/9/i386/If on 64 bit, replace i386 in the link with x86_64

Tried that as well, yum returns:

yum groupupdate KDE --tmprepo=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/9/i386/
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, tmprepo
Error: File contains no section headers.
file: file:///tmp/tmpy647pz, line: 2
'<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">\n'

:(

Hlingler
4th August 2008, 09:53 AM
Try:
yum groupupdate "KDE (K Desktop Environment)" --tmprepo=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/9/i386/

Demz
4th August 2008, 09:59 AM

V
it is hard to understand, but i know my few Aussie Mirros still have not Updated Miro to 1.2.4-2 or the gnome-python2 package Firefox needs but others have updated

Nokia
4th August 2008, 10:02 AM
I guess it should be
yum groupupdate KDE --tmprepo=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/9/i386/SRPMS

Nokia
4th August 2008, 10:05 AM
Try:
yum groupupdate "KDE (K Desktop Environment)" --tmprepo=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/9/i386/

XFCE, KDE or GNOME is enough. :)

The New World
4th August 2008, 06:59 PM
I actually like using KDE but not as a default DE, as Gnome is just as fulfilling. I am slowly getting used to the new style of KDE 4 but I don't want to revert to KDE 3.5. What's the point, I mean we are using a cutting edge OS! Perseverance is the key :)

leigh123linux
4th August 2008, 07:54 PM
To update to KDE 4.1

And if you use the compiz-fusion repo

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing --enablerepo=fusion-testing groupupdate "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

zwerko
4th August 2008, 08:58 PM
Try:

Still the same thing about no headers... :(

Nokia
4th August 2008, 09:02 PM
See post #90

zwerko
4th August 2008, 09:33 PM
Wont work either... Says:

Failed to retrieve http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/9/i386/SRPMS

And that URL doesn't exist... When I try http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/9/SRPMS (folder that exists), but it returns the same thing with missing headers :confused:

Obscure
4th August 2008, 10:02 PM
Ah, I like how the new KDE 4.1 looks, the search bar is definitely very much of a time-saver. There is one thing that I noticed when I was testing it out.. I use a laptop with Fedora 9, and because of that I often use my wireless (Atheros AR242x), and Madwifi from livna-testing to get it working. However, I saw that even after reinstalling madwifi, and NetworkManager, my wireless would not work.

But, aside from that, I like how it looks so far. :)

cadet1811
5th August 2008, 01:06 AM
I ran into a similar problem when trying to update to 4.1. Removing the *devel packages did the trick for me.

Regards,

stefan1975
6th August 2008, 08:12 AM
are we gonna see 4.1 for F9 final or skip straight to 4.1.1? Last week a bug fix for 4.1 has been released solving lots of minor issues that have reported since the public appearance of KDE4.1 .... supposedly anyway.

stefan

Nokia
6th August 2008, 08:31 AM
FYI: F8 packages available https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-6876

Demz
6th August 2008, 10:38 AM
are we gonna see 4.1 for F9 final or skip straight to 4.1.1? Last week a bug fix for 4.1 has been released solving lots of minor issues that have reported since the public appearance of KDE4.1 .... supposedly anyway.

stefan
KDE4.1 should be in Updates now or still in Updates-testing

stefan1975
6th August 2008, 10:42 AM
KDE4.1 should be in Updates now or still in Updates-testing

i know, but i read on the updates site that 4.1 could take another week to two weeks or so and 4.1.1 is already out (and available for opensuse for example) so I was wondering if the released version for us fedora users will b e 4.1.1 as well, or shortly thereafter.

stefan

rdieter
6th August 2008, 01:43 PM
The major delay in getting 4.1 to stable updates has been QA (in updates-testing), and incorporating a few of those critical upstream fixes mentioned.

ogetbilo
6th August 2008, 06:05 PM
Rex,
What is QA?

Any of these?
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/QA

rdieter
6th August 2008, 06:09 PM
Sorry, I fell into bad habit of shorthand speak. QA = Quality Assurance (ie, testing).

See also:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Testing

cdhgold
11th August 2008, 01:20 PM
anyone heard any ETA on KDE4.1 hitting the stable Fedora 9 channel?

stefan1975
11th August 2008, 05:28 PM
they seem to be getting there:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2008-6743

should not take long if i read things correctly

stefan

sblantipodi
18th August 2008, 12:16 AM
at this point I'll wait for fedora 10...