PDA

View Full Version : can't login anymore

RedAnarchy
26th July 2008, 06:26 PM
have a problem again:/

after the boot, if i want to login, i can click on my user account and type my pw, but if i hit enter, a black screen appears (with the loading cursor) and then it returns to the login-screen. i tried to login as root, but the same happens. could anybody help me?

stefan1975
26th July 2008, 06:35 PM
can you log in on the console by hitting <ctrl><alt><F2> and entering your credentials on the CLI?
if you can log in on the CLI you might want to try a "yum update" to see if that helps and otherwise post the contents/errors in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log" logfile since it seems something with X is going wrong.

stefan

RedAnarchy
26th July 2008, 07:16 PM
i'm now logged in with <ctrl><alt><F1> but it's the same, isn't it? so if i try to update, it can't find the repomd.xml file and cancels. what do you need from the Xorg.0.log file? do you need all of it. of is it okay if i only post the lines beginning with (EE) and (WW) ? it's too much to write it on a sheet of paper and type it here again^^

EDIT: there are no errors, just some warnings

RedAnarchy
26th July 2008, 07:39 PM
i could save it to a floppy disc, but i've no clue, how it works:D i tried to mount the drive with
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy but got an error which tells me, that i have to specify the filetype or something like that

RedAnarchy
26th July 2008, 08:06 PM
okay, here it is^^

stefan1975
26th July 2008, 08:31 PM
well the only thing i can see here at first glance is that the "acpid" deamon does not seem to be running and nvidia does not appear to like that.

do you get any output when giving:

$ ps -ef | grep -i acpid

and

$ su -
# chkconfig --list acpid

if it is all "off" then

# chkconfig acpid on
# service acpid start

to see if it is really the nvidia driver that is bugging you you could also try to use the free non-3d "nv" driver as a test by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf (MAKE A BACKUP!) and changing:

Driver "nvidia"

to

Driver "nv"

with "vi" or any editor you prefer and restart X (reboot or init 3 / init 5) to see if that helps.

stefan

RedAnarchy
26th July 2008, 09:51 PM
output was:

$ ps -ef | grep -i acpid
rah 2361 2196 0 22:37 tty1 00:00:00 grep -i acpid
$ su -
# chkconfig --list acpid
acpid 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

the following commands didn't have any output

shall i try to change the xorg.conf file anyway?

stefan1975
26th July 2008, 10:05 PM
wel after the service start you could try and "ps" again to see if it started.
this is my output from the ps command:

ps -ef|grep acpid
root 61 2 0 17:59 ? 00:00:00 [kacpid]
root 1670 1 0 17:59 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/acpid

you can alway try the other "nv" driver to see if it helps, it cannot hurt if you make a backup beforehand.

but you acpid should be running (it says "on" in chkconfig) so that is odd.

stefan

stevea
27th July 2008, 04:43 AM
I think the acpid complaint was only a warning and unlikey to cause the Xserver failure.

Can yo login as some other user ?
From the <ctrl>+<alt>+F1 virtual-concole screen login, then please type the command:
startx -- :2
I expect it will try to bring up a screen and fail too, but at least you'll capture the error messages on the virtual console screen.

RedAnarchy
27th July 2008, 04:25 PM
other user like what? i've just the root acc and one normal user acc. do i need another one? if yes, how do i create it?

RedAnarchy
31st July 2008, 01:17 PM
so now i tried the startx command and got this:

after "startx -- :2" i saw a green interface, a bit like the first windows versions^^

so i hit <ctrl><alt>F7, but there was again just the background image. i back to <ctrl><alt>F7 and i got the log of the xserver start. but i think there are not really errors in there. that's what it showed after the introduction and legend and stuff:

expected keysym, got XF86Info: line 914 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86Info: line 914 of inet
the XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
>Warning Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
> Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

so what's wrong then?

RedAnarchy
1st August 2008, 09:32 AM
is there something wrong with gnome? how can i find out if gnome works?

RedAnarchy
6th August 2008, 05:30 PM
is there someone who can help me? i don't know how to fix that, i've got no clue

stefan1975
7th August 2008, 08:27 AM
well to rule out that it is gnome that is causing your issues you could try and install XFCE as a WM and try logging into that from GDM. If after that XFCE works for you you can safely say that gnome is causing the issues.

If it is your useraccount's gnome config files that are causing the issues you could also try to create a new user account and try logging into gnome with that, you will get a new blank gnome config that way and maybe that helps.

XFCE

$ su -c "yum groupinstall xfce"

then in the GDM inlogscreen you should select XFCE as your Windowmanager below.

USERACCOUNT (change {USERNAME} with a name of your choice)

$ su -c "useradd -u 12345 -g users -d /home/{USERNAME} -m -s /bin/bash -c \"test user\" {USERNAME}"

both on the Commandline.

maybe that helps,
Stefan

RedAnarchy
9th August 2008, 03:41 PM
the xfce install doesn't work, because my wlan isn't working in the commandline, i think the drivers aren't loaded yet or something like that. i tried it anyway, but got just errors, that told me it could not reach any the servers.

and then i tried to type the useradd command, but didn't find out, how to type the backslash, i've got a QWERTZ keyboard, so normally i have to hit <alt gr>+ to get it, but nothing happens, so i thought maybe the german keymap isn't loaded yet and it's the QWERTY map. but if i hit the #-key, which should be the backslash on a QWERTY keyboard, i just get the #-symbol. and even if i hit <ctrl>+<alt>+ nothing happens. so how can i get it? or can i leave an part of the command? if yes, how much can i remove?

EDIT: found out, that the -c part is just a comment, so i changed the last part to
[] -c testuser testuser"

but i get a message, that this command doesn't exist. is it because i changed the last part?

stefan1975
9th August 2008, 05:22 PM
well you could just first become root and then add the user to skip the backslashes like so:

$ su -
# useradd -u 45678 -g users -d /home/john -m -s /bin/bash -c "john doe" john

and can you not add a UTP cable to the system temporarily to install XFCE and besides to a full system update as follows:

$ su -
# yum update

maybe installing all new updates and a new user and another D.E. will fix this or you

stefan

RedAnarchy
9th August 2008, 06:15 PM
have to move the complete system to the living room. i'll see if i've got some time and i have to get the cable.

so the testuser account is existing now, i think. but it requires a pw to login. i didn't set one, did i? so what's the default pw or how can i reset it?

stefan1975
9th August 2008, 06:25 PM
have to move the complete system to the living room. i'll see if i've got some time and i have to get the cable.

so the testuser account is existing now, i think. but it requires a pw to login. i didn't set one, did i? so what's the default pw or how can i reset it?

$ su -
# passwd {TESTUSER}

RedAnarchy
10th August 2008, 12:06 PM
tried to login with the testuser, but same as with the other users. so i now put a pci network adaptor in my machine (on the chip is printed Pulse H1088, don't know what it is exactly). but how do i connect to the router? if i execute the "nm-tool" command, it tells me, that there is a network adaptor but the status is disconnected. i'm not sure if it's the right cable. it's a 2-pin connector on the side i put it in the adaptor. that was the only cable i found in a rush. but it fitted the female connector without violence^^ so is there any command to connect to the net?

stefan1975
10th August 2008, 12:26 PM
so how much work would it be to just reinstall fedora9 from the dvd or even the much simpler live-cd. You'd be up and running again in under an hour. I don't know how much customization you have done or data on the system but is is starting to sund like the easiest solution to me?!

stefan

RedAnarchy
10th August 2008, 01:15 PM
there is no data at all i think, the only thing that stops me from a reinstall is that it took days to setup my wlan. but i think you're right. the fixing process took much more time than setting up the wlan. i'll try to reinstall it. thanx anyway. you were helping me a lot