PDA

View Full Version : F9 - gdm crashes on login

mikolune
26th July 2008, 10:40 AM
Hi all,

howdy ?
Well, I've just happily upgraded F9 from F5, everything appeared to go well. Upon restart, the GDM login window appears. The problem I have is that the X-server systematically crashes and restart when I try to login via the GDM login window. I've been looking around the net and forums for several hours now but to no avail, so I am finally writing here.

Below, I attach relevant parts of the following logfilesillustrating the crash and also with possible information on the error: /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log, .xsession-errors and /var/log/secure

Many thanks for any kind of help!
Best regards,
Mic.

/var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log:

** (process:5614): DEBUG: Greeter session pid=5614 display=:0 xauthority=/var/run/gdm/auth-cookie-XXFUC1EU-for-gdm
gdm-simple-greeter[5614]: WARNING: Could not ask power manager if user can suspend: The name org.freedesktop.PowerManagement was not provided by any .service files
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x80002d (Login Wind)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
gdm-simple-greeter: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
Window manager warning: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on display ':0'.
gdm-simple-greeter: Fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server :0.0.
Window manager warning: Could not find display for X display 0x84f2648, probably going to crash
Bug in window manager: IO error received for unknown display?

/var/log/secure/:

Jul 26 17:39:50 linuxmachine gdm-session-worker[2432]: pam_unix(gdm:session): session opened for user kim by (uid=0)
Jul 26 17:39:59 linuxmachine gdm-session-worker[2432]: pam_unix(gdm:session): session closed for user kim

/home/kim/.xsession-errors:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xmbind: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
SESSION_MANAGER=local/unix:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/3060,unix/unix:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3060
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/kim/.metacity/sessions/default1.ms: Failed to open file '/home/kim/.metacity/sessions/default1.ms': No such file or directory
Window manager warning: xserver doesn't have 'fixed' font.
Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadName (named color or font does not exist) serial 209 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)
Locking assertion failure. Backtrace:
#0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xd0a767]
#1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_lock+0x2e) [0xd0a90e]
#2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 [0x8af109]
#3 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(XUngrabPointer+0x25) [0x8a4d55]
#4 /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0(gdk_display_pointer_ungrab+0xba) [0x56bf54]
#5 /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0(gdk_pointer_ungrab+0x1c) [0x542dd9]
#6 /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libgnomebreakpad.so [0xd6836e]
#7 /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libgnomebreakpad.so(_ZN15google_breakpad16Exceptio nHandler21InternalWriteMinidumpEijPP10sigcontext+0 x43) [0xd68893]
#8 /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libgnomebreakpad.so(_ZN15google_breakpad16Exceptio nHandler15HandleExceptionEi+0xa3) [0xd68e23]
#9 [0x12e400]
#10 /lib/libc.so.6(abort+0x188) [0x9ad028]
#11 metacity [0x807dbc6]
#12 metacity [0x80675e2]
#13 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(_XError+0x109) [0x8a7a49]
#14 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 [0x8afac8]
#15 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(_XEventsQueued+0x55) [0x8b0435]
#16 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(_XFlush+0x42) [0x8b04c2]
#17 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(XFlush+0x31) [0x887b41]
#18 metacity [0x807661f]
#19 metacity [0x8077791]
libnm_glib_nm_state_cb: dbus returned an error.
(org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

** (nm-applet:3168): WARNING **: nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'WirelessHardwareEnabled' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

Unable to open desktop file /usr/share/applications/AdobeReader.desktop for panel launcher: No such file or directory
The program 'nautilus' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not exist)'.
(Details: serial 309 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
The program 'gnome-session' received an X Window System error.
(Details: serial 195 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)
The program 'bug-buddy' received an X Window System error.
(Details: serial 265 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)
Unable to open desktop file file:///usr/share/applications/redhat-evolution-mail.desktop for panel launcher: No such file or directory
nm-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
applet.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
gnome-panel: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

** (gnome-panel:3142): WARNING **: panel-applet-frame.c:1285: failed to load applet OAFIID:GNOME_GDictApplet:
System exception: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

mnisay
26th July 2008, 11:38 AM
as root, have you tried

# chkconfig --levels messagebus on

and restart Fedora?

if it still fails, hit Ctrl + F1 and root login. from there, try to issue

# gdm-safe-restart

and see what happens next?

Hlingler
26th July 2008, 11:39 AM
Did you actually upgrade this OS from FC5 to F9, or is it really a fresh install? Because this looks like a relic of the past, and there are likely to be many more:
"/usr/X11R6/bin/xmbind: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Or, if you just saved your personal settings and $HOME folder, the old config files may be causing problems with the newer GDM & etc.:
"Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/kim/.metacity/sessions/default1.ms: Failed to open file '/home/kim/.metacity/sessions/default1.ms': No such file or directory"

V

mikolune
27th July 2008, 06:03 AM
Hi,
many thanks for your replies.

mnisay:

# chkconfig --levels messagebus on
and restart Fedora?
if it still fails, hit Ctrl + F1 and root login. from there, try to issue
# gdm-safe-restart
and see what happens next?

I tried what you proposed, but using the chkconfig command you gave gives me a "usage" response - may be the options are wrong ? I have no experience with chkconfig, what would this do ? Also did gdm-safe-restart, but to no avail.

Hlingler:

Did you actually upgrade this OS from FC5 to F9, or is it really a fresh install?
Yes, I actually chose the "upgrade" option during the installation process, instead of the "Fresh Install". This is because I have all my data plus other settings (like a full wiki), that I didn't want to have to reinstall , although I do have a full proper backup. I would have thought the "upgrade" would be specially designed to take care of the "relics of the past", wouldn't it ?
So, would you recommend in fact to do a fresh install ? Is there some chance this would keep my original data (this point was not entirely clear to me) ? Or would there be some way to update old configuration files automatically ?

Thanks again!
Best regards,
Mic

Hlingler
27th July 2008, 06:14 AM
Hlingler:

Yes, I actually chose the "upgrade" option during the installation process, instead of the "Fresh Install". This is because I have all my data plus other settings (like a full wiki), that I didn't want to have to reinstall , although I do have a full proper backup. I would have thought the "upgrade" would be specially designed to take care of the "relics of the past", wouldn't it ?No. That's your job. See: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum/YumUpgradeFaq

So, would you recommend in fact to do a fresh install ? Is there some chance this would keep my original data (this point was not entirely clear to me) ? Or would there be some way to update old configuration files automatically ?Yes, at this point I would recommend a fresh install, since it seems very likely that there are now too many things to try to fix. No, back-up any data that you wish to save first, since a fresh install will wipe all existing data from the disk(s). And No, there is now no way to easily reconcile config files.

Perhaps someone else can see some better/easier ways to address your questions, but I cannot.

Good Luck,
V

mikolune
27th July 2008, 06:24 AM
Many thanks for your answer. So, I guess I'll proceed with the fresh install.
Best regards,
Mic

mikolune
27th July 2008, 07:23 AM
... yet I am still wondering why there would be the upgrade option for the installation. Could this option work better if updating for example from F7 to F9, rather than F5 to F9 ? Well, I guess I'll just go and read around a bit...
Cheers,
Mic

Hlingler
27th July 2008, 07:33 AM
As it says on that link, live upgrades are not officially supported and therefore not recommended. Not by me either.

Having said that, I've done several. However, skipping a Fedora release is simply asking for problems. The machine I'm typing on started life as FC5 almost two years ago. Now it's F8, and someday I'll try the upgrade to F9. But each upgrade was done in order, and according to the advice on that link: FC5=>FC6=>F7=>F8. None have been without problems, and the last one was especially painful, but of course I had reasons....

I suggest based on my experience that a live upgrade (be it via YUM or CD/DVD or whatever) is not a viable option if you need to go more than one release. My opinion only, of course.

V

mikolune
27th July 2008, 07:46 AM
yes, I understand... The thing is that it seems some other Linux distros do provide live upgrade. For example, I upgraded a machine running Ubuntu from version 6 to version 8 painlessly, I would imagine Fedora would provide similar services ?
Mic

Hlingler
27th July 2008, 07:51 AM
yes, I understand... The thing is that it seems some other Linux distros do provide live upgrade. For example, I upgraded a machine running Ubuntu from version 6 to version 8 painlessly, I would imagine Fedora would provide similar services ?
MicYou would be in error. :) That is an invalid assumption, unfortunately. Perhaps you should consider getting involved in the SIG (Special Interest Group) that's pushing for better upgrade support? See the link on that wiki page. Things are moving slowly forward in that area, with that new "PreUpgrade" thing, but so far, what I've seen suggests that it's not quite ready for prime-time....

V