PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question (obviously) How to install Fedora on a i586 system?

magicfreak123
26th July 2008, 01:33 AM
Hello, please excuse the dumb and noob question....but....

I have an i586 system, and according to the fedora site, I must install using the "classic install" procedure. How do I go about doing this? PLEASE!

All answers appreciated!

pete_1967
26th July 2008, 02:17 AM
Download i386 iso, either live CD or CVD, burn it, pop into your CD/ DVD drive and restart your computer. Then just follow the prompts.

Just remember that you have to create a disc from the image, not just copy the .iso file on it.

magicfreak123
26th July 2008, 02:37 AM
Can I use powerISO, Alcohol 120% or nero ultimate to burn the ISO image? (I own all three)

and do I start my pc with the cd inside the drive?

Also, I made a partition using partition magic 7.0 of 3,169.1 MB, is that enough to run linux decently?

Thanks!!

pete_1967
26th July 2008, 02:43 AM
and do I start my pc with the cd inside the drive?

Also, I made a partition using partition magic 7.0 of 3,169.1 MB, is that enough to run linux decently?

Thanks!!
You need to boot from the CD/ DVD. You may need to change the boot device order in BIOS. Read your motherboard manual how to do that. Usually hitting <Del> takes you to BIOS during the POST, but it depends on the MoBo.

4Gb is bit on a low side, but if that's all you can spare, you can install on it as long as you don't try to install everything and kitchen sink. If I remember correctly now, as long as you leave the new partition unformatted, it's ok, but if you used "linux" option in Partition Magic, it won't work. Do forum search for that just in case.

What comes to the software to burn the disc; read their manuals/ help.

marcrblevins
26th July 2008, 06:25 AM
Can you show us:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Are you sure you have an i586 processor?

magicfreak123
26th July 2008, 04:46 PM
Yes, I'm sure I have an I586 processor (when I tried to run fedora on vmware or virtual pc, I had downloaded x84, and it said it detected an i586 kernel and ot download the right version, so then would the I386 DVD (will burn to a dvd as an ISO image) work on an I586 system?) ;)

marcrblevins
26th July 2008, 05:40 PM
Just run it anyway at your terminal:
cat /proc/cpuinfo