PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 9 and RealPlayer codecs in Firefox

whitecloud1
25th July 2008, 09:18 PM
I recently updated to Fedora 9 from F6. What a change!

I totally understand the aspiration for free codecs and software, but I would like to use the BBC iPlayer for radio (www.bbc.co.uk/radio) and also news clips on www.rte.ie.

I installed Realplayer 11Gold. It works as a standalone package and plays some tv news in rte.ie but with no sound.

I paid Fluendo 28 Euro for an Audio/Video codecs package and copied a group of these to /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10

I installed Adobe Flash plugin (which I believe BBC Player uses. However only some channels play, e.g. Radio 1 Extra and Radios 5, 6 and 7. I'm confused as some (e.g. Radio 2 and 3) play silently at 64kbps. I need to correctly install or remove some plugins:

This is the list of plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla /plugins

gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.so gecko-mediaplayer.so librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so
gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.xpt gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.so nphelix.so
gecko-mediaplayer-qt.so gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.xpt nphelix.xpt
gecko-mediaplayer-qt.xpt gecko-mediaplayer.xpt nppdf.so
gecko-mediaplayer-rm.so libflashplayer.so
gecko-mediaplayer-rm.xpt libjavaplugin.so

Should I remove some of these or install others?

I'm baffled and need help setting up working plugins.
Any help welcome,

John

whitecloud1
27th July 2008, 05:58 PM
I found a posting from Realplayer for Linux developers. They're aware of problems and are working on it.
I think! Will wait a while and use Windows or Mac for these channels.

John

Yes, after 2 automatic software updates, the problem is solved. I can listen again to the radio and TV streams. Perhaps the websites have fixed something. Anyway problems solved.

John