PDA

View Full Version : UNRAR & EXE Files

PAULB
25th July 2008, 04:24 PM
Hi guys, I am new to Linux and Fedora came highly recommended, my questions are:

How do I install rar and exe programs? I have downloaded UNRAR for opening rar files but Fedora fails to let me install them, all I get is the message "unable to open".

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks

viperskunk
25th July 2008, 05:10 PM
For unrar type in terminal "yum install unrar" as root. I just installed it through the terminal without any problems.
As for exe files, you will need Wine. Again "yum install wine" as root. You can also visit : http://www.winehq.org/

JohnVV
25th July 2008, 06:10 PM
and only some Microsoft Windows .exe will run in wine
just like only some( ~75%) of Linux executables will run on Win Xp with CygWin

viperskunk
29th July 2008, 11:57 AM
I am not a big fan of the command line utilities. What i suggest you do to unrar files is this:
1) Download and install Wine
2)Download WinRAR from softpedia.com
3) On the .exe file that you have downloaded, right-click and choose "open with wine"
4)Wine will install it.
5) Everytime you want to unrar files after this, then simply go to Applications -> Wine -> Programs ->WinRAR ->WinRar
6)And then extract the files just like you do in windows.

Surajprakash
29th July 2008, 02:13 PM
Hello,
you can install Crossover also for run EXE files.

Suraj

lazlow
29th July 2008, 06:45 PM
Once unrar is installed (Linux version) you should just be able to right click on the file and hit extract here, no cli needed. You might also want to look at Gpar2 to deal with repairing rar files.

JohnVV
29th July 2008, 10:05 PM
and if you don't like the command line then you will HATE wine unless you like editing the MS windows system registry - for wine, in linux
( [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\...] )

viperskunk
29th July 2008, 10:26 PM
and if you don't like the command line then you will HATE wine unless you like editing the MS windows system registry - for wine, in linux
( [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\...] )
Command line usage is not exactly beginner-friendly. It takes time to get the hang of it for an absolute beginner.
As for wine, i do not use it for anything more than unrar, and small utilities that i need here and there. When that happens and I do not know how to do stuff, instead of typing out lines of code, i prefer a graphical utility.
I agree, it is a handy thing to know certain command line things, for which I love forums like these and also "ubuntuforums".
But PAULB wrote :" Hi guys, I am new to Linux and Fedora came highly recommended, my questions are".
Thus I advised him a more beginner friendly approach. I have had no trouble so far with small .exe apps in wine. I have never had to use, fortunately so far comman line to modify and configure Wine.

lazlow
29th July 2008, 10:35 PM
Viperskunk

Why not just use the native linux unrar? There is no cli needed to use it.

JohnVV
30th July 2008, 06:21 AM
As for wine, i do not use it for anything more than unrar, and small utilities
Why??
just install the Linux unrar

su -
yum install unrar

viperskunk
30th July 2008, 09:07 AM
Viperskunk

Why not just use the native linux unrar? There is no cli needed to use it.
Agreed guys. But time and time again i have run into errors with "unrar l *.rar" or "unrar x *.rar" or "unrar e *.rar".
This kind of issues do not take place in WinRAR on Wine.

lazlow
30th July 2008, 09:17 AM
Since you apparently do not know: cli=command line interface.

All you have to do (assuming gnome) is right click on one of the rars (any one of the set) and select extract here. Done. No typing in commands, wild cards, etc.

A.Serbinski
30th July 2008, 02:40 PM
The real funny thing is that the linux version of unrar is provided by the same place as the ms version. Ever notice that its a closed source program and is NOT shipped with Fedora? This is something that needs to be installed from freshrpms or livna. The program is functionally IDENTICAL to the ms version, right down to the source code. Right, the linux version doesn't have a gui, irrelevant since the gui doesn't affect functionality and since there are guis in linux that will handle rars. Such guis include nautilus and archive manager

viperskunk
30th July 2008, 03:26 PM
Since you apparently do not know: cli=command line interface.

All you have to do (assuming gnome) is right click on one of the rars (any one of the set) and select extract here. Done. No typing in commands, wild cards, etc.
Hey that is unfair! I swear I had tried that the first time I installed unrar through yum; but it didn't work. So, I thought command line was the only way. But after your post I tried that one more time, and it works. Thank you.

JohnVV
30th July 2008, 06:04 PM
besides when i extract a rar or a zip i like to do this first

su -
freshclam
exit
cd / (to file)
clamscan *.rar
unrar e *.rar

also see

unrar --help

nAuticA
18th September 2008, 03:36 PM
when i put
yum install unrar
it says no package available.....

JohnVV
18th September 2008, 06:27 PM
hi did you install the lvina repo ??
i am assumming you are on fedora 9 ????
---
some digging
i see from a old post ( i had to do some searching ) add fedora 9 to your profile
---

su -
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-9.rpm
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-livna

http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/9/i386/unrar-3.7.8-1.lvn8.i386.rpm
from
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html

m.nassar
26th September 2008, 03:21 AM
Hi Im on fedora 9 , installed livna and I also get the no package available error any ideas ?

mathan
26th September 2008, 08:49 AM
sorry friends some portable and some application canot run under wine?!?

polymerique
14th July 2009, 07:56 AM
thanks guys, it worked well for me...:)