PDA

View Full Version : KDE popup when new media inserted ?

timetre
25th July 2008, 01:50 PM
Hi !

I've been using Fedora since the begining and am a long time Linux user and today I'm runing FC9 with the latest updates.
kernel 2.6.25.10-86.fc9 SMP
Qt: 4.3.5
KDE: 4.0.5 (KDE 4.0.5)

I'm currently facing a problem I can't work out :(

Until about 10 days ago, every time I inserted a new media in my machine (USB drive, CompactFlash card or SDCard) I got a popup asking what I wanted to do with the device (i.e. open with Dolphin, Download images with digikam, burn CD with K3B, etc).

Currently, this popup has disappeared and I have no idea what made it (an update ?) and I have no idea how to get it back !

I used it mostly with Digital Camera's cards with the Digikam dowload feature .. Can't use that anymore :(
Furthermore, in digikam, if I use the Camera -> Browser media menu, my cards don't show up there even though they are accessible under Dolphin ...

To help you diagnose the issue, one thing does happen when I plug a drive or card in, I get the little popup in the systray from the New Device Notifier widget ...

Any clues ?

Thanks in advance !

Vince.

ogetbilo
25th July 2008, 02:31 PM
Restarting HAL daemon might help. Did you reboot the computer since?

timetre
25th July 2008, 02:43 PM
Restarting HAL daemon might help. Did you reboot the computer since?

Well yes I have, As I said, I think the problem appeared between a week and two weeks ago and I haven't played with the system's config recently except applying the updates from the fedora repo ..

I rebooted the machine many times and for the sake of completeness:

[root@snowgoon ~]# service haldaemon status
hald (pid 2181) is running...
[root@snowgoon ~]# ps ax | grep hal
2181 ? Ss 0:00 hald
2185 ? S 0:00 hald-runner
2271 ? S 0:00 hald-addon-input: Listening on /dev/input/event5 /dev/input/event4 /dev/input/event1
2274 ? S 0:00 /usr/libexec/hald-addon-cpufreq
2275 ? S 0:00 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket
2279 ? S 0:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sdc (every 2 sec)
2281 ? S 0:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sdd (every 2 sec)
2283 ? S 0:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sde (every 2 sec)
2285 ? S 0:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sdf (every 2 sec)
2304 ? S 0:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sr0 (every 2 sec)
2963 ? S 0:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sdg (every 2 sec)

I didn't get time yet to get to learn KDE4 inside out like I did with KDE3 but I'm starting to think it might have something to do with "solid" ?!

Cheers,

Vince.

alexgriz
26th July 2008, 09:35 PM
For what it's worth, I'm having exactly the same problem, and I started up in gnome rather than kde, and my thumb drive showed up like in the old days, so it seems like it has more to do with KDE than hald.

Please post if you find a solution.

alexgriz
27th July 2008, 03:57 AM
Well, this may be an artifact of KDE 4. Apparently it can't do quite the same things as KDE 3. You can try adding the notification widget after you get 4.1, and see if that meets your needs, or use gnome.

timetre
30th September 2008, 03:21 PM
Alright, got KDE 4.1 running now and still no sign of this application selection popup ...

Does anybody know if it's a KDE problem ? or if it's specific to Fedora ?

Cheers,

Vince.

theedge981
11th January 2009, 04:44 AM
FWIW:

I am having similar problems using KDE 4.1.85 (4.2b2) on Fedora 10. Digikam is great and it detects my camera without a problem, it'd just be nice for it to automatically "ask" me what to do when I plug the camera in. Same with my USB stick, I used to have a konqueror window open right to the stick once it had mounted.

Is this feature planned for KDE 4.x at some point or are there other workarounds that can be employed.

Dan

Lindy
11th January 2009, 07:01 AM
In the words of the profit..."That's not a bug it's a feature!"
In this case it's a feature regression having to do with the KIO slave being discontinued. Read this thread in the KDE Forums (http://forum.kde.org/missing-functionality-in-konqueror-in-kde-4-t-25025.html). While you're there search "device notification" there are some workarounds.
One is to download a plasma widget called "New device notifier with Automount". This should play nice with your usb sticks, but I can't confirm it as I don't have a usb stick.

marko
11th January 2009, 07:30 AM
right mouse button click on the kde4 desktop, make sure "lock widgets" is toggled to 'unlock widgets'.

In unlocked mode, the menu should now offer the "Add Widgets" menu selection, click that and select the
New Device Notifier and install with the "Add Widget" button. It should be on the panel, if so lock in
your widgets by setting the option in the menu back to "lock widgets".