PDA

View Full Version : how can i install win xp?

tongking
25th July 2008, 02:47 AM
good day, i am only new to this forum, i just want to ask anyone how can i install winxp over fedora 8. how can i format to ntfs file. thanks.

Dies
25th July 2008, 03:06 AM
Have you tried using the Windows XP installation disk yet?

No?

Go ahead and give that a try....

tongking
25th July 2008, 03:22 AM
yes, but it stocks on the "setup is inspecting your system"

stoat
25th July 2008, 03:44 AM
It's an old and well-known issue with the XP CD when Linux is installed. If you no longer want the Fedora system, then delete its partitions by any means that you have or like and then your XP CD will boot normally.

stevea
25th July 2008, 03:45 AM
Get to a Linux prompt (bot ot boot a Cd or whatever) and then as root:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1k count=1

This blows away the partition table and ruins everything on /dev/sda

tongking
25th July 2008, 05:14 AM
thanks for all guys.... got a big help, thanks again...

robert.forster
25th July 2008, 02:32 PM
The easiest way to do that is to boot with a win98se floppy disk and fdisk the system
after which you can then boot from the CD and install windows
I have found my machines wont boot from a CD after linux has been installed (on dells)

SlickBlack
14th August 2008, 05:09 AM
It's an old and well-known issue with the XP CD when Linux is installed. If you no longer want the Fedora system, then delete its partitions by any means that you have or like and then your XP CD will boot normally.

What is the easiest way to delete the Fedora partitions?

SlickBlack
14th August 2008, 09:14 AM
I see the instructions above but am not exactly sure what to do.

NewLinuxAddict
14th August 2008, 09:44 AM
What is the easiest way to delete the Fedora partitions?
Search Google for Gparted. Get the Live CD ISO and burn it to a disc. Now run the Gparted Live CD and erase the Fedora partitions, just make sure you don't wipe out anything else...

SlickBlack
14th August 2008, 10:33 AM
Search Google for Gparted. Get the Live CD ISO and burn it to a disc. Now run the Gparted Live CD and erase the Fedora partitions, just make sure you don't wipe out anything else...
Couple things, for the time being I only have a CD-RW on my computer, no burner. Second, other than the Fedora partitions (assuming thats the only OS im using) what should I be careful not to erase? I dont wish to have anything on my computer but XP.

NewLinuxAddict
14th August 2008, 10:44 AM
Couple things, for the time being I only have a CD-RW on my computer, no burner. Second, other than the Fedora partitions (assuming thats the only OS im using) what should I be careful not to erase? I dont wish to have anything on my computer but XP.
If Fedora is the only OS, you can just erase every partition that Gparted shows. I assumed you had Fedora along with other OS's installed when I made my previous post. If XP is the only OS you want install, wipe out everything.

SlickBlack
14th August 2008, 10:54 AM
If Fedora is the only OS, you can just erase every partition that Gparted shows. I assumed you had Fedora along with other OS's installed when I made my previous post. If XP is the only OS you want install, wipe out everything.
Is that possible without burning Gparted?

NewLinuxAddict
14th August 2008, 11:00 AM
I believe you can use a 1 GB USB flash drive instead of a CD. I don't remember how to make it run as though it was a Live CD though.

SlickBlack
14th August 2008, 11:13 AM
Is there any other way to do it without using Gparted?

NewLinuxAddict
14th August 2008, 12:45 PM
If you have a Live CD for Fedora, you can use the terminal there to wipe your hard drive.

itachi
14th August 2008, 12:58 PM
Maeh is this problem still not solved? I think i smashed my XP installation on my Dual Boot Laptop (Xp/Fedora 9) .. the only option right now would be to wipe fedora & xp and reinstall both .. I'm glad XP is not that important on my laptop :cool:. The big problem is you can't even start the rescue console if i remember correctly .. that problem just sux.

robert.forster
14th August 2008, 01:01 PM
boot from a win98 floppy disk. run fdisk off the floppy and delete all partitions. That is if you want to run winxp ONLY off the computer

SlickBlack
14th August 2008, 06:30 PM
If you have a Live CD for Fedora, you can use the terminal there to wipe your hard drive.
I do have the Fedora boot disk. Can you tell me the commands for this?

SlickBlack
14th August 2008, 06:31 PM
boot from a win98 floppy disk. run fdisk off the floppy and delete all partitions. That is if you want to run winxp ONLY off the computer
I do only want to run XP, however I have no floppy drive.