PDA

View Full Version : Image hd across network

djXternal
24th July 2008, 11:24 PM
I have been searching most of the day on how to do what I want to do, and no luck, so I'm hoping its even possible.

Basically I have a system running FC8, it is my storage server, and I have a system running Vista. What I want to do (ideally) is have my FC8 machine automatically image the C drive of my vista machine every week or month. I know I can boot linux on my vista machine and image it that way, which I did last time before my hd died. But, it would make life so much easier if I could automate the process, and I would rather not backup by files, as an image makes system restore so much easier.

Thanks in advance for the help.

sej7278
25th July 2008, 08:32 AM
dunno if that's really possible in an automated way, for instance linux would have no network access to a powered-down machine's hard disk, maybe with wake-on-lan.....

you could use something like acronis true image and save the backup files via samba/ftp to your linux machine.

i think there's a way that acronis can work whilst the system is booted to windows, so you could setup a scheduled backup from within windows.