PDA

View Full Version : Why is Firefox spell check British?

nt4cats
23rd July 2008, 03:21 PM
Whenever I type in a text box in FireFox (e.g. right now) it spell-checks things for me. As a matter of fact, it is telling me that "FireFox" in my previous sentence is spelled wrong. That's great. It insists, however, that "behavior" is spelled wrong -- and recommends I change it to "behaviour". The same goes for color / colour, etc. I'm on the side of the ocean without the gratuitous use of the letter 'U'.

I've gone into every FireFox settings panel I can find or think of and selected EN-US, disabled the English (GB) language pack, etc. ... and my FireFox spell check still insists that 20% of the words I type must include the letter 'U'.

I like Great Britain. <tongue in cheek>I'm glad that they have adopted the language that we speak here in the United States</tongue in cheek>. I would like for my browser's integrated spell check (which I also like) to use common US spellings, not common GB spellings, however.

Any suggestions?

A.Serbinski
23rd July 2008, 08:48 PM
Learn how to spell for yourself?

Or you could right click in your textbox, select "languages", and then en_US. Or if you prefer to do this manually, go to about:config and alter the preference named "spellchecker.dictionary" to the value of "en_US".

nt4cats
28th July 2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks -- I had a feeling it was something easy. I don't need the spell check to teach me how to spell, but it does catch the occasional type-o. The "false positives" (telling me 'color' is spelled wrong) render it useless & annoying.

Thanks for the tip.

scotty38
28th July 2008, 08:07 PM
The "false positives" (telling me 'color' is spelled wrong).......

Which it is, of course.... :D :D

Hlingler
28th July 2008, 10:42 PM
I always rather preferred the "King's English", after all they did invent the language, but yes, it was odd to see my language set to "en_ZW" whatever that is (not British...).

Whatever. It all still makes the same sense (or not).

V

bbfuller
28th July 2008, 10:47 PM
ZW appears to be Zimbabwe.

Unusual as a default I would have thought.