PDA

View Full Version : is this a good place for a WINE question?

Nautical
20th July 2004, 03:13 PM
if so, I completely migrated to Fedora Core 2. got a Wine rpm (20040615) as well as the winesetuptk. All installed well. Except there is an application I need for work that opens up ok, but has absolutely NO functionality. Just a window that sits there. Only active buttons are the "new transaction" and "open transaction" which is supposed to call up a new set of windows and options - but they don't.
Does anyone know of where I can get some troubleshooting help?

Thanks in advance

imdeemvp
20th July 2004, 03:23 PM
did you read the FAQ from wine....? http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wine-faq/index

for example you open up wine and type notepad and the notepad from windows will open up i used it for a little while did not remember all the windows .exe to run them

Nautical
20th July 2004, 03:33 PM
yeah, I spent a day before hand going over the faq page at winehq. Addmittedly, some of it went over my head - why I chose the rpm route...seemed more straightforward.
My machine is completely Windows-free, so it set up a fake_windows. This one app is the only one I've tried out.
There are two specific job-related apps I need to get running. Everything else I need can easily be handled by what FC2 has to offer.
Would I be better off uninstalling the rpm, then getting the binaries and try and compile and what-not?
I'm new-ish to it all - i haven't seen Llinux since RH7, and glad to be back to it. Just hope I can make it work to stick with it.

-Thanks,
M

crackers
20th July 2004, 04:37 PM
You might want to try CrossOver from CodeWeavers ('http://codeweavers.com'). They're out on the "bleeding edge" of the Wine development (including having hired the head Wine-guy full time). The price is really very nice for what you get and you are actually helping Wine along with your paid fees. I mean, they did get their commercialized version of Wine to run freakin' Office! That kind of interop is released down into the standard Wine tree on a regular basis (but not fast enough that they lose their commercial advantage, of course).