PDA

View Full Version : XMMS starts automatically when KDE starts

Mat
20th July 2004, 02:10 PM
Hi

I'm kinda puzzled.. I always care to close it before shutting down my system and I always logout properly.. yet, everytime I KDE gets started, xmms is there again... kinda annoying..

does anybody has an idea, how to prevent this?

Mat

sailor
20th July 2004, 02:40 PM
you may have clicked "save current setup" when logging out....this saves the desktop to the same state upon the next reboot/restart...so any programs that were running will automatically start ....
This part of the Gnome desktop...I am not sure if KDE is the same, but it must have something similar...

Mat
20th July 2004, 02:46 PM
kde has something too, but that's exactly my point... I always close the player before I shut the machine down...

sailor
20th July 2004, 03:04 PM
I am thinking you need to close xmms anything else you don't wnat to run, then logout and use 'save current setup" upon reboot it should be in the state you left it in...

Ok I just did this as a test...my desktop starts with Gkrellm loaded...I closed Gkrellm...then went to log out...I checked "save current setup" and on login Gkrellm no longer starts automatically...then I reset it by opening Gkrellm and logout check "save current setup"...and it starts again on login....
(who said boot?)

crackers
20th July 2004, 04:31 PM
Er, "reboot" - you mean log in again, right? If not (and you're actually rebooting), you might need a good talking to, amigo!

Reboot - humph!

sailor
20th July 2004, 05:16 PM
ok ok ...loging out and loging in...you are a stickler aren't you :)
windows thinking is just hard to get out of my head :(

Mat
21st July 2004, 01:36 AM
I'm just a poor student, I can't afford my system to run 24/7, so yes.. shutting down and power off..

I made the test with other apps (KNotes), I started it, and it's just there everytime when I start my PC anew.. When I closed it, it never came up again..

not so with xmms...

btw: that problem just occured recently, it has not always been that way..

crackers
21st July 2004, 04:37 PM
Yes, I am a stickler - for the very reason you mention: the Windows paradigm is flawed and people need to be aware of just how flawed it is. Just because you've gotten used to it doesn't mean it's right.

As for Mat, you might want to check your Autostart folder. Perhaps you've got something in there that's causing XMMS to start. You might also want to go into the KDE Control Center. Look for "KDE Components/Session Manager." Select the checkbox/radio button that says "Start with an empty session." Both of those items should clear it up, methinks...

Mat
22nd July 2004, 04:06 AM
As for Mat, you might want to check your Autostart folder. Perhaps you've got something in there that's causing XMMS to start. You might also want to go into the KDE Control Center. Look for "KDE Components/Session Manager." Select the checkbox/radio button that says "Start with an empty session." Both of those items should clear it up, methinks...

Autostart was empty.. and I don't like that 'start with an empty session' solution, cause I want programs I left open to reappear after login...

however, I had added xmms to the mime types .ogg .mp3 etc.. after I deleted them, xmms never showed up upon login...

don't know what happened here, but it seems that's the solution!?

Mat

sailor
22nd July 2004, 05:35 AM
Yes, I am a stickler - for the very reason you mention: the Windows paradigm is flawed and people need to be aware of just how flawed it is. Just because you've gotten used to it doesn't mean it's right.

sheesh....don't hit me!...;)...I spend so much time on Windows puters at work and at home I still use those terms regularly....I am convinced that FC is far better OS than any I have used!
the hard part is convincing everyone else...:(

crackers
22nd July 2004, 04:39 PM
however, I had added xmms to the mime types .ogg .mp3 etc.. after I deleted them, xmms never showed up upon login...
Heh! That's what happens when you mess around with mime types! I'm guessing that you may have some links to files/directories on your desktop that have multimedia files in them, so KDE did what you told it to - start XMMS with that file type.

Mat
23rd July 2004, 12:03 PM
actually you're right, I have to playlists on my Desktop, but I never listened to them.. xmms always came up with the last playlist, I've played, not the desk's..

besides, is that supposed to be normal?!
I added xmms as a file handler, to be able to start it after clickin on a file, not that it runs all by itsself..

and, I have text files on my desktop too, they never opened..

Mat

crackers
23rd July 2004, 04:22 PM
It's probably just a peculiarity of the mix of things: messing with MIME types, files on the desktop, etc.

Personally, I think using the Desktop as a filing system just plain wrong - too much like the way Windows practically encourages you use the Desktop as a dumping ground for stuff that you can't bother to file correclty - or at least that's the way it's appeared to me watching Windows users. Of course, my physical desktop is a filing system, so I'm quite obviously schizophrenic.

Mat
25th July 2004, 12:43 AM
Personally, I think using the Desktop as a filing system just plain wrong - too much like the way Windows practically encourages you use the Desktop as a dumping ground for stuff that you can't bother to file correclty - or at least that's the way it's appeared to me watching Windows users. Of course, my physical desktop is a filing system, so I'm quite obviously schizophrenic.

quite right, that's how I use my (virtual) desktop too.. storing code snippets, or urls I want to download etc..

if that's no good thing, then, what exactly is the function of the desktop? (i.e. why am I allowed to copy things there)

Mat

crackers
25th July 2004, 06:10 AM
if that's no good thing, then, what exactly is the function of the desktop? (i.e. why am I allowed to copy things there)
That was an opinion (I have only two icons on my desktop) - plus I did mention that I have a disparity between my computer and physical desktops. Another opinion, regarding your question: I think the desktop should be used for "most used applications and directories", but actual files should be properly stored within $HOME directories. Temporarily dragging stuff to the desktop and then off to a good $HOME directory is a good use. Storing "code snippets" on the desktop can be a bad idea - that's a very active environment and if you have some script, portion of a script available on the desktop, it may react with a program you run (or the desktop itself) in ways that you didn't want it to.

The main thing is that Linux ain't Windows - Windows encourages you to be sloppy and properly using Linux is like keeping your bedroom clean, just like your Mom always wanted... ;)

Mat
27th July 2004, 05:08 AM
basically the stuff rests there, till I find the time to put it away, just like my floor at my mom's.. :)

Mat
6th August 2004, 03:33 PM
it has been quite for a while, but now, XMMS launches itsself everytime KDE starts...

now, moved all the stuff away from my desktop, so there are only some short-cuts to applications there..

and I deleted my mime-type setup for audio files (those at ~/.kde/share/mimelnk)

but no go! xmms starts, with the last playlist I selected..

interesting is the following:
it appears while the kde splash-screen is still visible, and if you close it then, it will re-appear.. then you can close again, and it will re-appear again.. I tried this 4 times and it only stayed away when the splash-screen disappeared?!

suggestions, anyone?

Mat

crackers
7th August 2004, 04:31 AM
Mat, I think you may have tweaked and configured everything too much, so it's going to be real hard to figure out what you may/may not have "broken" - not necessarily a bad thing, by the way - this is how you learn to hack ;)

I would suggest logging out as that user and either delete the .kde directory completely (which wipes any customizations - you can always re-set them) or create another user and copy over only those files that you really need to keep.

Sometimes it just helps to start over...

Mat
7th August 2004, 02:54 PM
maybe you're right, but, I still don't think the fault is caused by me.. I only used means provided by the gui to configure everything.. :)

however, yesterday I was completely fed up by kde and my system in general!! so I installed FC2 again on a second partition ... Till now I settled with enlightenment and use ogg123 to play my stuff.. :)

Mat

crackers
8th August 2004, 05:01 AM
maybe you're right, but, I still don't think the fault is caused by me.. I only used means provided by the gui to configure everything..
Heh! Not being nasty (not to mention a bit sick), but that's roughly equivalent to "Honest, Officer! I didn't know it was loaded!"

I haven't used E in years - how's the file manager?

Mat
8th August 2004, 04:34 PM
Heh! Not being nasty (not to mention a bit sick), but that's roughly equivalent to "Honest, Officer! I didn't know it was loaded!"
nah, I don't know. I have no problems to edit config files or whatnot, but whenever a program overs a configuration dialog, I assume, it cares for correct values to be written, etc.

That's why I don't see any responsibility (sp?) on my side ;)

I haven't used E in years - how's the file manager?
it has a file manager? must've missed that :)

however, I'm back at KDE for now... That 'configure everything you want' slogan was quite appealing to me, but not *everything* with scripts.. I mean, what's the problem in providing a 'select font' gui?!

I don't wanted to need to learn the theme-api they use, and the available themes at freshmeat all looked, well.. nice but certainly unusable..

I guess I'll give it another try sometimes, but not at the moment... got more important stuff to do :)

and glxgears gave me 2000 fps less at enlightenment, something I don't care for, but it confused me nonetheless.

So I switched back to KDE, disabled the desktop, and played a bit with the appearance (again, via the KDE option dialogs :) to not have it look like a Desktop Environment.. and am quite pleased with the result.

again, I'm shunning xmms and will see what happens next :)

Mat