PDA

View Full Version : T42 2378FVU, Fedora Core 2 installation, Rescue and Recovery

t_k_t_w
20th July 2004, 07:14 AM
Hi all,

I just got a T42 2378FVU. I erased the partition(C: drive) where WinXP is installed and installed Linux on that freed space, unfortunately after installing Linux, I couldn't any more to boot into IBM Rescue and Recovery by pressing Access IBM button, I think it's because I chose to install a new boot loader(GRUB provided by Fedora Core 2) which overwrote the MBR. So I modified grub.conf to add a new entry for the partition for Rescue and Recovery, but new problem occurred, it did seem being able to boot into Rescue and Recovery, but after some seconds, a blue screen appeared with following msg:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

How Can I get back to RR? How can I restore the original MBR? Your help and suggestion are welcome.

Another question is: Besides the Recovery CD, what else CD's can I request from IBM for fee? I am in Toronto, but my laptop was bought in US and mailed to me in Toronto, the IBM in which country should I request CD's from?

Thank you in advance.

dezrock
23rd July 2004, 09:01 AM
Concerning IBM R&R, AFAIK, it does not yet support Linux filesystems, so serves no great purpose w/o your WinXP partition. IBM R&R wants to backup/restore the first partition, which is no longer WinXP; consequently, it fails. Furthermore, if you changed the number of or order of partitions on the drive, that may be causing the error message you mention; rearranging back to the original layout helps sometimes.

I'm not sure which R&R configuration which is shipping on th T42's now, but if the IBMTOOLS\UTILS directory is available on the maintenance partition (the one you were tyring to boot -- I'm assuming you hadn't disabled the bios protection, and weren't trying to boot a PARTIES region), then you may be able to use the boot manager program to reload the MBR with IBM's code:

'bmgr32 /fbootmgr.bin /m1'

See the links in http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3365 for more info.

(Ask them for some free SCO code; they like that :D )

imdeemvp
23rd July 2004, 09:32 AM
t_k_t_w,

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

that is the famous blue screen of death! and unfortunally for you it means you have to possibly wipe you your hard drive and reistall xp...

did you ever burn the set of recovery discs?